New car tax to be effective in Thailand next January

webfact

What's all this car tax fuss about. Buy a Tesla electric car 340

kilometres per charge. No fuel = No exhaust emission = No tax = Problem solved.

The problem is the silly import tax on the silly price of the Tesla

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or take that one step further what if a contract were entered into this year but the sale concluded next year on a 2015 plate wild trak

guess i best ask a dealer when i get back

do dealerships here offer incentives on year model end of year like they do in oz, i spoke with a dealer a few weeks ago and the best i could get out of him was a few freebies, would not budge on price

anyone recommend a good ford dealership or are they all much the same?

It's not about the plate, it's about the order. If you order the car this year (small prepayment), you can get it until.. (?) Yinglucks tax rebate scheme orders had just been shut down now, three years after initial orders.

How about all the city buses that are polluting??

Good point.....I live in Silom and must wear carbon mask on Silom Rd. because there are so many ancient diesel buses spewing black smoke. The government decided to just keep repairing them instead of a replacement program.

Carbon mask??? Please explain.

more dog and pony show.

they will have new money for the brown bags. more to go around.

when there's money there is the opertunity for graft and corruption and pay-offs. just think what the offers will be at the testing centers if you have a car with an increase in tax's. the offer of money will flow at the testing centers.

at least VW does not have to worry about there emisions!

another excuse for a government that does not know how to run a government. there main concern is how many tourest will come to Thailand.

My scooter is good value then.the car will have to be second hand when the times come

Yes the worst polluters in the country with the 2 cycle engines and even the 4 stroke don't have emissions so like he said it's about exhaust emissions not engine size so too bad the scooters are exempt especially given their numbers.

and the first thing they do with their pick-up is to modify the engine so as to get a roaring noise and a big black cloud.

Yeah can't figure why all of the fuss about VW, they just did that automatically for their customers without having to pay big money for it and their system was even better as it not only cheated when being tested but it didn't void the warrantee.

1. The new car tax will see buyers of new cars next year paying higher of 85,000-200,000 baht, depending on the emission of carbon dioxide from engines

2. See price drop of 10,000-15,000 baht for eco cars.

3. It is predicted that the price of eco-cars will decrease by about 10,000-15,000 baht,

4. * While the price of pickup trucks will rise by about 10,000 baht.

5. For small cars, price will increase by about 85,000-160,000 baht,

6. Larger cars will be 200,000 baht higher or more.

* So if my understanding is correct All Pick-Up will only have the price increased with 10,000thb

Edited by BlessingCoffee

The new tax is based on emissions. They measure CO2 to categorize vehicles for emission tax. Diesel engines emit untrafine particles that get into your lungs and aren't removed by the cillia. The solution is to install a particle filter, many European countries and I believe California require this. Here they obviously don't because of the thick clouds of smoke coming out of all the diesel trucks when they floor it to take off.

It's bad for people's health and the main cause of soot stained buildings. Before they required roetfilters to be retrofitted on all diesel cars and trucks in the Netherlands, there were studies showing people living near busy highways with lots of truck traffic were many times more likely to die of respiratory disease or lung cancer.

If the government here wants to do something for the environment , why not something that would motive quality of live and not just reduce CO2 emissions?

If they're going to tax vehicles with high CO2 output, what's the problem taxing, or at least requiring filters on vehicles that emit pollution you can even see, and even see the effects of?

I'm guessing you own a pickup?

I think pickups should go up 200,000 if some cars are going up that much, not just 10,000. Every truck I've been behind belches think clouds of particulate matter because they're too cheap to install filters. That's worse for your health that CO2 emissions and part of what causes all the white buildings to be stained in soot. Live by a highway here and you can see where the filthy air from diesel vehicles comes in and stains your wall, and your lungs.

It would also discourage the "mine is bigger" mentality" where even city dweller who've never seen an unpacked road wants the biggest, heaviest, most destructive vehicle in case they're involved in an accident. "Screw the family in the Honda City, they should have had a 3/4 ton truck if they wants to survive".

So you think pickups should be heavily penalised because trucks belch clouds of particulate matter.

all righty then.

This is the strangest Co2 tax scheme I've seen. It promotes gas guzzling pick-ups over hybrids or more fuel economic cars.

Hybrid cars with a cylinder capacity of no more than 3000 & not emitting more than 100 g/km Co2 will be taxed at 10%.

100-150 g/km 20%

150-200 g/km 25%

Over 200 g/km 30%.

In contrast pick-up trucks with no space behind the driver & a cylinder capacity of no more than 3250 emitting under 200 g/km Co2 will be taxed at 3%.

Over 200 g/km 5%

Hybrids of equal emissions will be taxed at 22% & 25% more than a pick-up. The lowest emitting hybrid will be taxed 5% more than the highest emitting pick-up in this class.

The other tax bands go up on pick-ups the more luxury, double cab etc but with same emissions.

The double cab 12% under 200 g/km & 15% over 200 g/km using more fuel to move that km than a hybrid etc.

This is nothing to do with the environment or reducing Co2 I think.

I got the numbers at fuelsandlubes.com.

Im no enviro-nut but if I read it right using the emissions is a crock of .....

This is the strangest Co2 tax scheme I've seen. It promotes gas guzzling pick-ups over hybrids or more fuel economic cars.

Hybrid cars with a cylinder capacity of no more than 3000 & not emitting more than 100 g/km Co2 will be taxed at 10%.

100-150 g/km 20%

150-200 g/km 25%

Over 200 g/km 30%.

In contrast pick-up trucks with no space behind the driver & a cylinder capacity of no more than 3250 emitting under 200 g/km Co2 will be taxed at 3%.

Over 200 g/km 5%

Hybrids of equal emissions will be taxed at 22% & 25% more than a pick-up. The lowest emitting hybrid will be taxed 5% more than the highest emitting pick-up in this class.

The other tax bands go up on pick-ups the more luxury, double cab etc but with same emissions.

The double cab 12% under 200 g/km & 15% over 200 g/km using more fuel to move that km than a hybrid etc.

Commercial vehicles have always enjoyed lower taxes in Thailand, and if you think about it properly, it makes sense.

OTOH, there's not too many hybrids that make any particular sense... Just compare a Prius or Jazz Hybrid to a Mazda2 diesel...

Performance oriented hybrids like those from Porsche and BMW make good sense though, as do pure EV's wink.png

Edited by IMHO

100-150 g/km 20%

150-200 g/km 25%

Over 200 g/km 30%.

Over 200 g/km 5%

Commercial vehicles have alwasy enjoyed lower taxes in Thailand, and if you think about it properly, it makes sense.

I'm not one for everyone riding recycled push bikes everywhere eatting rice biscuits.

I think I read in the OP about an environmental impact.

This has nothing to do Co2 levels but just a unit of measure opposed to cylinder capacity.

100-150 g/km 20%

150-200 g/km 25%

Over 200 g/km 30%.

Over 200 g/km 5%

Commercial vehicles have alwasy enjoyed lower taxes in Thailand, and if you think about it properly, it makes sense.

I'm not one for everyone riding recycled push bikes everywhere eatting rice biscuits.

This has nothing to do Co2 levels but just a unit of measure opposed to cylinder capacity.

Right... CO2 also directly relates to fuel efficiency as well (so long as it doesn't have a VW ECU, LOL) - so it's really just a way to grade cars on FE, thus oil imports. I for one am happy they've removed the silly 220PS barrier - and the 3,000cc barrier that remains is much less of an issue than it used to be.

Edited by IMHO

But whether a hybrid is a crock of .... or not you would think people who want to own one shouldn't be taxed for it.

It's like taxing someone for using solar panels & solar heated water instead of burning coal for the electricity.

Hybrids and EV's get 10% tax both today and under the new system (so long as the ICE is less than 3,000cc).

100-150 g/km 20%

150-200 g/km 25%

Over 200 g/km 30%.

Over 200 g/km 5%

Right... CO2 also directly relates to fuel efficiency as well (so long as it doesn't have a VW ECU, LOL) - so it's really just a way to grade cars on FE, thus oil imports. I for one am happy they've removed the silly 220PS barrier - and the 3,000cc barrier that remains is much less of an issue than it used to be.

The g/km Co2 is over a km. if a hybrid has engaged the electric motor it emitts near nothing.

But whether a hybrid is a crock of .... or not you would think people who want to own one shouldn't be taxed for it.

It's like taxing someone for using solar panels & solar heated water instead of burning coal for the electricity.

Hybrids and EV's get 10% tax both today and under the new system (so long as the ICE is less than 3,000cc).

10% tax back is still 13%-15% more tax than a pick-up

The g/km Co2 is over a km. if a hybrid has engaged the electric motor it emitts near nothing.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but the FE and CO2 numbers you see published are actually gathered over several KM's of driving on a dyno, and then averaged out.

I'm yet to drive a hybrid where on a typical route I take (even a relatively short one), the ICE wouldn't be on more often than not. I actually own a hybrid, BTW smile.png

Not "tax back", "tax" ;)

Not "tax back", "tax" ;)

Well they're the tax numbers for 1 January.

I chose hybrids for evironmental reasons but still doesn't stack up with normal small cars.

The numbers in the OP made no sense. Like shooting at the moon during the day.

Anyway there they are.

Not "tax back", "tax" wink.png

I chose hybrids for evironmental reasons but still doesn't stack up with normal small cars.

Anyway there they are.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but the excise tax rate for EV's, Hybrids and Fuel cell vehicles, with an internal combustion engine < 3,000cc is 10% - and does not take into account CO2 emissions at all. Same now and next year.

Not "tax back", "tax" wink.png

Anyway there they are.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but the excise tax rate for EV's, Hybrids and Fuel cell vehicles, with an internal combustion engine < 3,000cc is 10% - and does not take into account CO2 emissions at all. Same now and next year.

I got the numbers from fuelsandlubes.com.

The numbers don't make sense as far as a Co2 tax scheme go. Higher tax for the lower emitters.

I don't drive in Thailand, never have so not up to date on government policy's. But was interested.

I wanted some feedback on what I read.

The numbers don't make sense as far as a Co2 tax scheme go. Higher tax for the lower emitters.

I don't drive in Thailand, never have so not up to date on government policy's. But was interested.

They make much more sense if you also consider the existing excise tax scheme - it's just an evolution of that, retaining incentives for supporting E20 and E85, and retaining thresholds on cubic capacity, but losing the 220PS barrier, and replacing it with CO2 thresholds.

Tax rates are lower as CO2 decreases, in every instance - perhaps you're getting confused by the cubic capacity thresholds, or fuel type incentives?

Edited by IMHO

They make much more sense if you also consider the existing excise tax scheme - it's just an evolution of that, retaining incentives for supporting E20 and E85, and retaining thresholds on cubic capacity, but losing the 220PS barrier, and replacing it with CO2 thresholds.

Tax rates are lower as CO2 decreases, in every instance - perhaps you're getting confused by the cubic capacity thresholds, or fuel type incentives?

I didn't see the CC as a factor.

3000cc threshold hybrid, 3250cc threshold for pick-ups.

I took the g/km Co2 & the % of tax then compared to other class of vehicles.

Hybrids & small cars having a higher tax % than pick-ups for the same emissions output.

There's a difference between commercial vehicles, trucks used in business where they actually ever put something in the back, and trucks used in the city and bought only because they're bigger, heavier, more imposing, easier to intimidate other drivers to get out of their way and "safer" for the driver of the truck in case of an accident at the expense of whoever is it they hit.

The government needs to encourage people to buy more fuel efficient vehicles that pollute less instead of discouraging them and pushing everyone to buy a truck because of their illogical tax scheme.

Look below, twice the pollution, less than 1/3 the tax. That's counter to their position that it's about reducing emissions. It's about generating more revenue and pushing people to buy more trucks. Makes no sense. Just like taxing Teslas at 100 or 200% import duty because they're not built here.

100-150 g/km 20%
150-200 g/km 25%
Over 200 g/km 30%.

Over 200 g/km 5%

Commercial vehicles have always enjoyed lower taxes in Thailand, and if you think about it properly, it makes sense.

OTOH, there's not too many hybrids that make any particular sense... Just compare a Prius or Jazz Hybrid to a Mazda2 diesel...

Performance oriented hybrids like those from Porsche and BMW make good sense though, as do pure EV's wink.png