Working on a Non-O visa.

Hi guys

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find a thread that fits exactly.

Anyway, I have just received my 90 days Non immigrant-O Visa from London (based on marriage). The visa has 'Employment prohibited' printed on it.

The problem is, that I do plan to stay and work, then get an extension of stay based on marriage.

I will obviously need a work permit, but how do I go about getting one with 'Employment prohibited' on my visa?

Thanks for all your help.

Red

You won't have a problem getting a WP.

• You can get a WP with a non 'O' based on marriage.
  • The visa itself doesn't allow employment which is why it may have been stamped on the visa.
  • Even non 'B' visas which are specifically issued for work sometimes get stamped with the employment prohibited too.
  • Like 2

You won't have a problem getting a WP.

• You can get a WP with a non 'O' based on marriage.
  • The visa itself doesn't allow employment which is why it may have been stamped on the visa.
  • Even non 'B' visas which are specifically issued for work sometimes get stamped with the employment prohibited too.

Yes !

The OP needs to attach a copy of his marriage certificate to the WP application.

• Like 2

I feel like this has been clearly covered already but just to put your mind at rest - I had a non-o multi entry based on marriage from the UK that said 'employment prohibited'. I then got a work permit which was actually a really easy process. I have since changed to a year extension thingy, which means I do 90 day report rather than having to leave the country every 90 days (although you need 400k in your bank account for 3 months and a stupid amount of ever changing documents).

So as everyone says, you are all good.

• Like 1

I feel like this has been clearly covered already but just to put your mind at rest - I had a non-o multi entry based on marriage from the UK that said 'employment prohibited'. I then got a work permit which was actually a really easy process. I have since changed to a year extension thingy, which means I do 90 day report rather than having to leave the country every 90 days (although you need 400k in your bank account for 3 months and a stupid amount of ever changing documents).

Thanks for your input.

I am just wondering. Did you get the 12 month extension based on your multiple visa, or did you have to leave the country to get another 90 day visa?

Thanks

Thanks for your input.

I am just wondering. Did you get the 12 month extension based on your multiple visa, or did you have to leave the country to get another 90 day visa?

Thanks

The 90 day entries from a single entry or multiple entry are the same. You can apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

Thanks Joe.

So the process is thus:

1. Obtain Non O visa (single or multi) outside of Thailand.

2. Go to Thailand and 'activate' visa

3. Get a job.

4. Get a work permit.

5. Work.

6. Make sure funds sorted, and all paperwork in order.

7. Within the last 30 days of the visa, apply for an extension (12 months).

Did I miss anything?

Red

7. It is the last 30 days of the 90 entry the visa allows you to get. The visas expiration date is not important. In the case of a multiple entry visa ti can be during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries it allows.

You have it right redwhiteandblue. As Ubonjoe said, you can apply in the last 30 days of any 90 day period. I arrived, did interviews, found work and got my work permit. It was only a couple of weeks till the end of the first 90 days, so I spent a weekend in Singapore and started another 90. Because I couldn't be bothered with a trip every 90 days while working, I then applied for a 1 year extension based on marriage 30 days before the next 90 days were up.

The extension is a pain as there is no clear guide as to what you definitely need but that is a fun load of hurdles you have ahead. You need a Kor or 22 and photos of your house and so on. Actually Ubonjoe helped me when I was asking what I needed then (thanks!), so search for that thread when you come to it. Good luck.