Thai wife applying tourist visa us consulate chiang mai... Need to translate marriage certificate?

My wife has her tourist visa interview in a few days at the chiang mai US consulate, do we need to translate our Thai marriage certificate and her surname change into English or do you think the Thai will suffice as she will be doing her interview in Thai as it is?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by homemade514

What does the documentation say about this that you received from the Visa section at the consulate ?

Seems to me, her marital status would have had to be provided long before the scheduled interview, which other than the issuing of the visa, is the last step in the process

Edited by Langsuan Man

Yes on the application that was already sent in via online, it says she is married to me. but I know that they would want to see the marriage certificate to see that our marriage is official, whether or not they just take a glance at it or actually read the whole thing.

So my question is do you think it would need to be translated into English or will the original Thai be okay as she will be doing the interview in Thai anyway.

Agree, don't bother to translate the wedding certificate.

-- Has your wife been to the U.S. previously, and come back? That sure helps with the interview.

-- How about you, are you retired here in Thailand? Working?

-- If this is her first tourist visa application, I suggest she take your passport (not a copy) that shows you are living here, flagging the Thai Immigration extensions. If you're working, she should also take your Work Permit to the interview.

This will show the interviewing consular officer that you are "established" here, and that you'll more than likely return after the U.S. visit. The presumption then is that your wife will also return with you.

Mac

Yes i can confirm that you do not need to have it translated. my wife had her interview this morning (USA tourist visa, chiang mai consulate), they didnt look at any of the papers that she brought in. just asked her where her mother lives, if i speak thai and where my finances come from and that was it. told her she was approved and they would mail the visa in next couple days.

just incase anyone is curious... her first time applying for the b1/b2 tourist visa. have been married 3 years. have a 2 year old son. she is 27, i am 30. i am a volunteer with an organization here and have been for 6 years. no intention of leaving thailand anytime soon. she is a stay at home mom and part time volunteer with the same organization. we rent, own a car and a motorbike. thats about it!

very thankful.