Probably Not What Set Investors Want To Hear

But I have to say I like the cut of his jib.

Surayud asks for one week to name his cabinet

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Surayud Chulanont said Sunday that he would need one week to name his cabinet, and that he would focus on the nation's happiness rather than its GDP.

"I will take about one week to select the people to be cabinet ministers, and after that I will explain the government's policies," he told reporters in his first news conference, shortly after taking office.

"After that I will explain the government policies to create more confidence for investors," he said.

He said he is looking for ministers who are knowledgeable, politically neutral and willing to work.

Asked about his economic policy, he said he would not measure progress based only on the gross domestic product (GDP).

"I will not focus on GDP as the previous governments, but I will adhere to the sufficiency economy advocated by the king," Surayud said. "I will focus on the happiness of the people rather than the GDP."

Surayud sworn in as the 24th prime minister after the military council deposed Thaksin Shinawatra in a bloodless coup on September 19.

--The Nation 2006-10-01

The press would have you believe that investors invest in Thailand for it's stability, but IMO they invest here because there's always a government "goto" guy.

Your paper plant just killed off all marine life in the river for 200km? Well, " get **** on the phone". Your plant just burn down while the exit doors were chained shut killing 400 people? "Hey! Get me **** on the phone". Is the runoff from your mine causing birth defects in the local populace? "Hey, call the minister of **** on the golf course and muzzle the afflicted. Your workers have a labor dispute? Hey, get Senator **** on line one and have him send his goons in".

In short I don't think there is major investment in Thailand because "global investors" give 2 shits about the "gross domestic happiness" of Thais. But Hey! I could be wrong. Let's see where they put their money over the next few weeks.

Happy to see they're at least paying lipservice to his majesty's sustainable economy. I'd like to see them give it a go. Goldman Sachs probably won't like it, but I can live with that.

Edited by lannarebirth