Neighbor Built Rooster Shack 20 Meters Away. What's the Law?

You seem to be fixated on "the law", well the main problem with that is you whilst you may well find one, you then need someone to "enforce it", and therein lies your problem. Thailand has many laws, but no one really interested unless there is a financial incentive, to actually enforce them. This aint the west!

Then you have another problem, you have gone to the Or ba tor?, so now the guy concerned "looses face" in his community, and not just him but his entire extended family may get really pissed at you, and next we hear, there's been an awful accident, or even a suicide, or maybe a damn Cobra got into your bedroom.

Thais have "mai bpen rai" live and let live attitude, you would do well to remember it. Not become a victim of trying to change it.

You'd better have deep pockets, because you are headed on a course of self destruction if not very careful. If you have a Thai wife, LET HER handle it.

Not everyone has a Thai wife ( or even wants one ) yet I have gotten fake doctors charged, noxious fires put out, an impromptu sawmill shut down, ( and neighbors criminally charged for processing protected trees.) Dogs shut up, rooster fights stopped and have lived through all.

Thanks for the advice though.

post-211179-0-86737300-1445404271_thumb.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pack of soi dogs is the equivalent:)

Another sign the neighborhood is degrading rapidly is a a worker camp went up with the requisite 8 or 9 dogs, perhaps a chicken lure ?

"What's the law?"

If you insist on knowing "the law" I strongly suggest you consult a legal professional, instead of entering into pointless argument.

Questions could be asked here but I'm not sure if this link is allowed.

If it breaks the rules, please delete it Charlie.

http://www.thailandpropertydoctor.com/doctor/

There is a law I've posted it already. Twice post-229125-0-60527500-1445404359_thumb.

farm-animals-sign-131354033475_xlarge.jp

Except I was here first

If I recall, (and I'm not about to review six pages) the coop is right next to a fence. How about parking your car or truck next to the fence so the exhaust drifts through it to the chicken coop? Properly vented, chickens won't complain for too long, and the owner just might get the idea that whatever's on one side of the fence stays on that side of the fence, including noise and fumes.

I do not want to hurt the rooster but it's a nice fantasy, thanks for the post. I have read the shining bright lights will disrupt

the rooster's clock and also put off the hen's from laying eggs. Electrician coming tomorrow

remember when you moved here, you said, "this is not my country and i will love all thais!!!! I love this country and will not cause any problems!!"

So give him money to expand his coop!!!! this is the proper way....

Yes I think that was his motive all along as 20,000 is the mentioned price. Complete scam. Shack likely took about 1000 baht in used tin, 2-3 guys 2 days labor, the wood they cut from an adjoining. forest

There is zoning. One of our friends had a small pig farm spring up next to his house. A complaint to the Orbortor and it was quickly shut down. Contrary to opinion some officials do their jobs and enforce regulations.

Yes there is a law about nuisance noise and if there is a smell.

Good advice.

It's often difficult to live near Thais. They and their animals can be very noisy.

That's why farang ghettos were built.

I don't live near them though, they built the chicken shack in a rubber tree forest, and specifically to extort me I now suspect

So being considerate of your neighbors isn't a Thai value? I don't think the OP moved here expecting everyone to change to please him, it's about an inconsiderate neighbor who likes chickens but not enough to have them near his house so he chooses a location right next to a neighbor's house. It looks like he has a big lot, I'm sure there are other locations , away from his house and away from other people's houses that would be just as suitable for the chicken shack.

To me it sounds just like how a lot of people here drive, they just pull out and expect you to avoid them, even when they could have waited a couple seconds and pulled out into an empty lane to drive slow in. They just act and don't think.

I'm sure the chicken owner gave 5 seconds of thought to where the coup would go.

Just plain thoughtless and inconsiderate, that's all it is.

He gave it a lot more than that, because the or bor tor just came and... well I'll make a new post but agree completely , common courtesy should be expected of Thais and it is bigotry of the worse sort to accuse them of being incapable of it in a general manner.

OK the Or Bor Tor just left, rather pleasantly surprised they showed up so soon. They were very nice, but confirmed there is no distance zoning. The issues would be noise and smell.

There is no smell ( yet ) She asked about what time I was being awakened and said that was a violation of criminal codes, but that's a police matter.

She also went up to talk to rooster man, he was not home ( but rushed home too late after they'd left... ) I suppose she talked to rooster wife who made a request of 20,000 baht to move the shack.

It's clear to me it was placed to specifically annoy me to get this kind of payment. There is no way they spent more than 2-3000 baht on some used tin and netting plus a few days labor. They'd probably take what.... 10,000?

I always knew my incredibly quiet, secluded, private wooded sanctuary but only 5 minutes from golf and a stunning beach would have to come to an end and it seems that time is here. So.... glad, glad glad I rent, glad I pay on a 6 month basis, which will end in early December, and very very glad to not be stuck in the situation because I know quite a few who are absolutely buried in their homes.

What these neighbors have really done is screwed one of their own out of a good tenant. This tiny Thai style home will never rent out for what he's been getting. Too isolated and no amenities whatsoever, plus now a rooster farm next door.

mmm Maybe my landlord would pay a portion...? Nah, not enabling extortion.

Edited by FBlue72

5.39am. Time to wake up anyway. Get out of bed by six. Start of the day in LOS. Quite normal. Stop having lie ins, greet the sunrise with a smile on your face, and the start of another day in paradise...

So you would impose your lifestyle onto me? But I'm a night owl, always have been and I prefer it. Many people are. That's why I leased a home in the middle of the woods with closest neighbors some distance away. I had lived next to Thai neighbors before and did not enjoy a life where I was always fatigued. ( and smelling burning plastic )

Yeah, thanks. What is it about Thais that so many foreigners allow them to act in completely uncivilised ways? I know plenty of Thais who do not think this is OK behavior- it isn't OK by any standard of common courtesy. This neighbor is now affecting my lifestyle in a obtrusive, rude and selfish manner- and he had a choice to put that hut a lot further away. To defend it is beyond belief. It's.... Thaiophilia.

I like this bit:

"that so many foreigners allow them to act in completely uncivilised ways?"

"Allow"..."Them"?

Have a happy life in Thailand.

Allow- as in do not protest.

Like a doormat allows you to walk on it.

it makes for an intersting discussion Thaiophiles allow all manner of poor manners and lack of consideration because they know they are aliens, never accepted into the society, and to do so perhaps makes them feel accepted?

" them " Yes quite common to refer to a group in the third person.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/them

pronoun

the objective case of they, used as a direct or indirect object:
We saw them yesterday. I gave them the books.
Informal. (used instead of the pronoun they in the predicate after the verb to be):
It's them, across the street. It isn't them.
Informal. (used instead of the pronoun their before a gerund):
The boys' parents objected to them hiking without adult supervision.
Edited by FBlue72

If you have ever stayed in Thailand a while in a hut or house in the Jungle or surrounded with a lot of greenery and water ponds etc... you will soon realize that the nightly sounds of the woods in Thailand is ear shattering, There are the frogs, lizards, night birds, all the bugs, a westerner will certainly not be able to sleep the first few days.

One have to consider this when living in Thailand, a rooster is nothing compared to the sound of the woods. Many Thais are so used to the constant ear shattering nightly noise they can sleep out a heavy metal rock concert. This is the key to why you can see Thais sleep almost in any environment.

Try to get used to it as a first strategy.

What I mean is, the thought of the noise bothering anybody would not even enter the mind of a Thai, being so used and "unbothered" by noise themselves.

I understand your point about noise and Thais being inculcated to it, but where I'm at is in the middle of rubber and pineapple farms with a few formerly very quiet, considerate neighbors some distance away. It was very peaceful, and none of the sounds of the night, the waves from the beach, the night birds whooping occasionally ever ever came close to being as annoying and intrusive as a %&*^#)&^ rooster's hideous squalling at first light.

The fact is evident, the shack was erected so close to me when it easily could have been 200 meters away, so I would be annoyed and pay to have it moved.

The patriarch of the group of closest homes has already confirmed this. I thought he might be this new loud extortionist family's landlord but they inherited the home, and the land recently.

You seem to be fixated on "the law", well the main problem with that is you whilst you may well find one, you then need someone to "enforce it", and therein lies your problem. Thailand has many laws, but no one really interested unless there is a financial incentive, to actually enforce them. This aint the west!

Then you have another problem, you have gone to the Or ba tor?, so now the guy concerned "looses face" in his community, and not just him but his entire extended family may get really pissed at you, and next we hear, there's been an awful accident, or even a suicide, or maybe a damn Cobra got into your bedroom.

Thais have "mai bpen rai" live and let live attitude, you would do well to remember it. Not become a victim of trying to change it.

You'd better have deep pockets, because you are headed on a course of self destruction if not very careful. If you have a Thai wife, LET HER handle it.

Not everyone has a Thai wife ( or even wants one ) yet I have gotten fake doctors charged, noxious fires put out, an impromptu sawmill shut down, ( and neighbors criminally charged for processing protected trees.) Dogs shut up, rooster fights stopped and have lived through all.

You sound just the sort of Farang we need here in Thailand, NOT.

If you want to p!ss people off interfering with their way of life go back to your own country.

Is it on your property or his, is this "farmland " your living in ?..... if so forget about the "law" and get used to country living....and shut your windows and buy an aircon

Good advice.

It's often difficult to live near Thais. They and their animals can be very noisy.

That's why farang ghettos were built.

If it so difficult to live near Thais, what the heck are you doing here?

Thais are noisy. Disturbing others doesn't enter the equasion.

My neighbour on the right is from Norway. Never heard a peep coming from his place in years. So considerate.

The neighbour on my left is Thai, crushing aluminium cans next to my bedroom at 6AM, yelling into the phone meters away from my patio, blasting the home theatre so the neighbours 6 house down can enjoy. They are also now near deaf and yell at each other all day long...They are a noise factory.

I took a bag of donuts over and asked if they could close their door when that home theatre is unleashing it's sonic fury. No way... and now they hate me.

I guess some Thai's just don't like do-nuts cheesy.gif

If you want to p!ss people off interfering with their way of life go back to your own country.

Please fix the quotes, you have incorrectly attributed to me two ineffective cliches along with a racist slang term.

He's the one disturbing me, I was here first, he is simply trying to annoy me into paying him money. Perhaps you'd join in a discussion of why some people defend atrociously discourteous behavior?

Edited by FBlue72

Ok Rooster daddy is home and there is one hell of a row, think rooster mama may have tipped the hand telling the or bor tor about the 20,000. Also forgot that land has the rubber tree lease title, may not be legal to do commercial activities.

Edited by FBlue72