Balkan bottleneck as thousands of migrants stranded at Serbo-Croat border

webfact

Balkan bottleneck as thousands of migrants stranded at Serbo-Croat border

606x341_315476.jpg

Thousands of migrants are stranded in appalling conditions at the border between Serbia and Croatia

CROATIA: -- The tide of wet,cold and exhausted human beings is being held back by Croatian police, as registration camps inside Croatia are full to capacity.

The situation is tense and volatile:“Only Croatia is like this. In all the countries they pass everyone and the situation was fine. But here we cannot pass through the border. We are already here with the kids and the children for about four days.”

Slovenia’s decision to limit the number migrants it allows in to 2,500 per day has slowed passage creating bottlenecks.

UNHCR coordinator Iroda Asqarova says the situation is serious: “We are estimating somehow between 1,500 to 2,500 people trapped here.As you can see this is a humanitarian, seriously humanitarian situation. You can see, if you go to the crowd you will see women with children, with disabled people, they are all trapped and the border at the moment remains closed from Croatian side.”

As many 5,000 people are arriving at the Serbian-Croatian border everyday overwhelming authorities.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-20

With the onset of winter in Europe this is going to quickly turn into a real disaster.

I agree with you and take no pleasure from that. The fact is they will still be coming even in the depths of winter and, at some point, there is going to be one almighty humanitarian disaster caused either by the severe weather forcing people into some aggressive act - whether it be migrants or the security forces of one of those countries.

I honestly have no idea how this problem can be solved.

Is a disgrace, man made disaster - The UN for what it is worth,,,? as me ol mum used to say: All Fur Coat and no Knickers!

The so called developed world should be laying differances aside and coming up with solutions pretty pronto, but I suppose where there is no financial gain to be made, in the final anyalasis no one really gives a $ h it?

World leaders should hang their heads in shame, all of them.

The press never fails to get a photo of a baby juxtaposed against barriers, though photos of the estimated 72% accompanied males behaving abominably are thinner on the ground.

I'm waiting for one with the kid holding a teddy bear in one hand, and knuckling a teary eye with the other.

When it happens, the BBC will run it front and centre, day after day.

Is a disgrace, man made disaster - The UN for what it is worth,,,? as me ol mum used to say: All Fur Coat and no Knickers!

The so called developed world should be laying differances aside and coming up with solutions pretty pronto, but I suppose where there is no financial gain to be made, in the final anyalasis no one really gives a $ h it?

Me ol Mum? What the hell is that?

The press never fails to get a photo of a baby juxtaposed against barriers, though photos of the estimated 72% accompanied males behaving abominably are thinner on the ground.

I'm waiting for one with the kid holding a teddy bear in one hand, and knuckling a teary eye with the other.

When it happens, the BBC will run it front and centre, day after day.

Spot On ! A couple of days ago the BBC were slightly critical of Merkel and with her cozying up to Turkey actually pointed out she's always been against them joining the EU.

Balanced reporting didn't last long and they're back with the sob story angle and the onset of winter is giving them more mileage.

Funny thing, they never ask migrants about illegally entering other countries, demanding free passage, expecting their every wish be met etc.

I suppose they think the humanitarian aspect makes the better story without caring they're stoking up even more resentment ?

So are you saying that it's the west's fault thousands of illegal economic migrants ( and an unknown number of real refugees ) decided to leave the first safe country ( Turkey ) and chance death on the sea so they could PASS THROUGH the safe Euro countries they come to, so they can go to the country of THEIR CHOOSING?

Should Europe just send ships to bring all 11 million of them to the countries of their choice?

The best solution would be for them to remain in Turkey, or a safe zone in Syria ( secured by NATO ), and for Europe and other countries to aid Turkey in supporting them.

So are you saying that it's the west's fault thousands of illegal economic migrants ( and an unknown number of real refugees ) decided to leave the first safe country ( Turkey ) and chance death on the sea so they could PASS THROUGH the safe Euro countries they come to, so they can go to the country of THEIR CHOOSING?

Should Europe just send ships to bring all 11 million of them to the countries of their choice?

The best solution would be for them to remain in Turkey, or a safe zone in Syria ( secured by NATO ), and for Europe and other countries to aid Turkey in supporting them.

I am saying as your latter option basically says;

the UN (World Leaders) should get their heads together and jointly find a workable solution in the countries affected (source countries) of these peoples and when made safe (if that is the problem) return them home. people displaced is one thing, economic migrants is another. I am not pointing the finger at anyone, just saying what the UN should be doing or aiming to do, is that not why it exists in the first place, seems in my lifetime it has never really achieved nothing of note to help prevent human misery on a mass scale.

A headline on Channel News Asia says support for Merkel's party is at a 3 year low and I would think likely to drop further.

I doubt German figures will match what the rest of Europe thinks of her and it would be most appropriate for her to be told in no uncertain terms.

Forget German power and strong economy, Merkel has foisted a disaster on the EU and needs to be held to account. Roll in Junker and possibly a couple of others too.

With the onset of winter in Europe this is going to quickly turn into a real disaster.

This is already a real disaster...........winter or not !!

True but no ones forcing people to travel this far,they've already passed places of safety,so it's self inflicted to some degree isn't it.

The short answer to this question is yes, they already are preparing a ship to pick them up off the coast of Libya and bring them safely to Europe. coffee1.gif

https://euobserver.com/migration/130775

This is already a real disaster...........winter or not !!

True but no ones forcing people to travel this far,they've already passed places of safety,so it's self inflicted to some degree isn't it.

I meant to say that this is an disaster for Europe..

I agree with you and take no pleasure from that. The fact is they will still be coming even in the depths of winter and, at some point, there is going to be one almighty humanitarian disaster caused either by the severe weather forcing people into some aggressive act - whether it be migrants or the security forces of one of those countries.

I honestly have no idea how this problem can be solved.

leave it to the Germans to solve they were the ones that escalated it all, im sure they have a few empty camps somewhere to house them untill they decide what they want to do with them

I am saying as your latter option basically says;

the UN (World Leaders) should get their heads together and jointly find a workable solution in the countries affected (source countries) of these peoples and when made safe (if that is the problem) return them home. people displaced is one thing, economic migrants is another. I am not pointing the finger at anyone, just saying what the UN should be doing or aiming to do, is that not why it exists in the first place, seems in my lifetime it has never really achieved nothing of note to help prevent human misery on a mass scale.

The UN will never achieve anything important as long as the security council members have a veto. A built in failure.