Looking For Partner To Share Cost Of Lancair Aircraft.

Clipper747

I am Planning to import a Lancair 235 single engine airplane,Retractable gear.

It goes 180 mph, at only 7gph.

If anyone is interested in becoming a part owner.. , Please email.

Thanks

Think about inquiring at local flying clubs or pilots at Thai, Bangkok Air, etc..

Isn't there an Ultralit Club too nearby?

Well i cant buy a share as we are living in the UK, but i would still be interested to know how much a plane would cost, licence to fly etc, just being nosey :o

Hello: the plane will cost around $60,000 and that would includ all the shipping charges. To convert your pilot lincese to a PPL in Thail , you must be join a flying club, and from there the club will do the paper work for the Thia lincese. The cost for joining and the application for the PPL is 11,000 baht.

Hope this helps.

I am Planning to import a Lancair 235 single engine airplane,Retractable gear.

It goes 180 mph, at only 7gph.

If anyone is interested in becoming a part owner.. , Please email.

Thanks

just for interest how many people can fly with that? Maybe you can sometimes transport someone for some money. (not me I am total out of money, I am searching for a part owner for a second hand bicycle, but if I would have money I would love to fly).

just for interest how many people can fly with that? Maybe you can sometimes transport someone for some money.

Lancair235_front_page.jpg

I don't think there'd be too much transporting going on.

Looks to have enough room for a small weekend bag for THE passenger and pilot.

Quite an attractive idea though being able to fly up to Chiang Mai or down to Phuket. Though by the time you've driven to thye airport and got on the plane you could have driven most of the way there , as Jeremy Clarkson seems to keep proving.

But it would be a nice toy.

Cheers :o

I think a Lancair 235 would be an excellent choice of aircraft for Thailand. I would like to encourage anyone interested to get involved in general aviation in Thailand, it is truly a blast! Two years ago I imported a new airplane, a two-seater Zenair CH-701, which I base on a grass airstrip near Huahin. I have had a wonderful time flying to Krabi, Surat Thani, Pattaya, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai, Chumphon, etc.

I also have a partnership in a retractable gear Cessna based at Thai Flying Club in Bang Phra. Anyone interested take a look at their website for more info on flying in Thailand. Feel free to e-mail me directly with any questions - <email removed - contact by PM>

Have a great day, Michael

Edited by Totster

How interesting.........you wouldn't by any chance be interested in a Diamond DA 40 - would you?

I have one with with 726 hours (on a Hong Kong reg) but am very keen to get a DA42 (only because you can tune it to run off biofuel - as the engines are diesel).

Dont laugh anyone, the DA42 can fly to Sri Lanka without refueling and Singapore and back without refueling - at less cost than a commercial ticket - and the ability to run it on biofuel knocks its running costs down to next to nothing.

Tim

How much duty are you going to be charged?

To import a plane there is 1% duty.. Not like a car.. I will get the papers started.

Actually been there done that - well, not quite - I'm going through the motions at the moment and my calc's indicate that the TOTAL costs to import and reg a plane in Thailand come to around 5-6.37% of the cost of that plane.

Yes, it is not at all like importing a car - its a lot easier and it is also a lot lot more friendly - I have recieved nothing but co-operation and encouragement from the authorities - and a "single point of call" i.e. one man who will handle the whole process for me.

Now that is for a completed built plane, a I am not sure what it would be for a Lancair, which is a kit plane - but I cannot see it been any more expensive - if anything it may well be cheaper because putting it together provides work.

And for all those interested in running a plane in Thailand - its much cheaper than running one in europe - much cheaper and other than for the actual invetsment in the plane its self I within the reach of a lot of ex-pats who would find the running costs in Europe prohibitive.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

How much duty are you going to be charged?

To import a plane there is 1% duty.. Not like a car.. I will get the papers started.

Actually been there done that - well, not quite - I'm going through the motions at the moment and my calc's indicate that the TOTAL costs to import and reg a plane in Thailand come to around 5-6.37% of the cost of that plane.

Yes, it is not at all like importing a car - its a lot easier and it is also a lot lot more friendly - I have recieved nothing but co-operation and encouragement from the authorities - and a "single point of call" i.e. one man who will handle the whole process for me.

Now that is for a completed built plane, a I am not sure what it would be for a Lancair, which is a kit plane - but I cannot see it been any more expensive - if anything it may well be cheaper because putting it together provides work.

And for all those interested in running a plane in Thailand - its much cheaper than running one in europe - much cheaper and other than for the actual invetsment in the plane its self I within the reach of a lot of ex-pats who would find the running costs in Europe prohibitive.

Tim

Hello Tim:

The Lancair I am thinking about , is all ready flying. I will fly back to the US this week and start to check on the shipping cost, I allready got one estimate but it was just over the phone.

This airplane will have all the instruments for IFR flying,. Nice to have..

so are you bringing your plane to thailand now? who ,do you have doing all the paper work.

Today I went to the Dca and they were very helpfull.

I plan to base the plane in Bangpra air field..

ASny info you can share would be helpful.

Thanks,

Kevin

Clipper747

My plane is already here - it has been here 9 of the last 16 months - but I have now reached the point that I am been asked to formalise its presence in Thailand - which I have agreed to do, and then I intend to move it on (and their are no shortage of Thai's who want it) and use the funds towards the twin diesel - which if you have looked at the Daimond Twinstar specs, is close to unbeatable for it size, range and running costs.

Yes I have IR rating and yes, its great plus point for flying in Thailand in the rainy season.

Paper work is done, money is paid - should have a Thai reg in about 10 - 12 days time.

The plane is kept at Loei airport at the moment. I have landed it on my own land before (which some local Thai mircolight flyers use) but to formalise that is another story.

Nope - you shouldnt have any problem, DCA is cool to work with as I said, Bangpra is fine as well - other small planes there so should fit in just fine. Any thoughts on which club to join and what license are you on at the moment - USA JAA?

Tim

What do you need to get a ppl in Los and how does a licence from another country affect this ?

You can look at this site, it shows the requirements for getting a license if you don't have one and the conversion if you do have one already.

Foreign License conversion

CM Flying Club

Thai Flying Club Bang Phra

I have my PPL and logbook from the US here now, just haven't had time to convert it yet.

Thanks, had a look, does not cover what I need but.

Anyway, dont have my licence or log book in this country, would have to fly back home and rummage through a pile of crap to find it.

What specific information are you looking for? I'm fairly familiar with the requirements.

What do you need to get a ppl in Los and how does a licence from another country affect this ?

PPL or higher is accepted in Thailand - and people do fly through Thailand on European/USA issued PPL's - which use can use while here or flying through.

But if you are going to stay here and fly a Thai regsitered plane - then you will need to "convert" (for lack of a better word), or using your European/USA issued PPL, get a Thai license - which is an easy and very friendly process.

........ I am kinda repeating what has already been said - sorry.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

Clipper747

My plane is already here - it has been here 9 of the last 16 months - but I have now reached the point that I am been asked to formalise its presence in Thailand - which I have agreed to do, and then I intend to move it on (and their are no shortage of Thai's who want it) and use the funds towards the twin diesel - which if you have looked at the Daimond Twinstar specs, is close to unbeatable for it size, range and running costs.

Yes I have IR rating and yes, its great plus point for flying in Thailand in the rainy season.

Paper work is done, money is paid - should have a Thai reg in about 10 - 12 days time.

The plane is kept at Loei airport at the moment. I have landed it on my own land before (which some local Thai mircolight flyers use) but to formalise that is another story.

Nope - you shouldnt have any problem, DCA is cool to work with as I said, Bangpra is fine as well - other small planes there so should fit in just fine. Any thoughts on which club to join and what license are you on at the moment - USA JAA?

Hello Tim:

I have a ATP FAA and JCAB ATP (JAPAN) License, I know Loei very well, my GF is from there.

Tim did you have to pay VAT when the plane arrived in Thailand? did you bring it in your name or a company name? Did you do all this process yourself or had someone help you.

Thanks,

Kevin

ATP er!!! - what are you rated for?

No - no VAT or any duties when the plane came in becuase I flew it in myyself after paying for it in Hong Kong.

Since then I have been using it fly around Thailand and South East Asia - mainly down to Pak Chong in Korat to pick up the kids every weekend from boarding school. That may sound daft to a lot of guys, but with fuel the price it is in Thailand (all fuels - including aiviation fuels) it actually works out not much more expensive than using the car but changes a day round trip down to 3 hours or so.

.....back to your question ..... no duty was paid when the aircraft came in because it was on a Singapore (9V) reg. Duties are now applicable because I am changing it to a Thai reg.

In your case you may like to bare this mind - the definiation of a Thai aircraft is one which is on a Thai reg (HS) - and untill that takes place no import or VAT duties are applicable. And I know exactly what is going through your mind - so before you ask, the answer is yes - you can keep it here on an N reg and fly it using your foreign ATP (and frozen or not - I dont think there are many guys who are question you if you are holding an ATP - where ever it comes from) - and duties will not be applicable.

Now just for how long you can get away with it (and its perfectly legal) before someone asks you how long you are intending to retain the N reg, I dont know - but in my case was a year before someone asked me about the 9V on the tinwork and whether I wanted to change it to HS - and I am now doing that, mainly for insurance reasons as the broker is Bkk based.

I want to add something to this - and I add it because there is G reg PA28 up here belonging to an Isreali gemstone dealer who uses it to fly to Bkk and what he done was pretty much the same as you. He chopped the wings off and had it flown down to KL, where he screwed them back on himself, and flew the plane into Hat Yai (clearing Immigration in Hat Yai) and then onto Bkk (and now Loei - where the craft spends about 3 days a week the rest in Chang Raia and Bkk). His reasoning is that by keeping it on G reg he has had no paperwork to do as yet (and it gave him a visa run - which is what he uses it for as well!).

But like myself, he will at some point in the not to distant furture be asked what his long term palns are, at which he will pay the dues and change to HS (getting his Thai license as well then).

The only reason I mention all this is you may like to consider having it flown into singapore or some other neighbouring country, putting it back together and then flying into Thailand with it clearing through a southern airport that is alot quieter than the airports and airspace up here - setting the precendent for your plane been in the country - and then once you have decided that "this is for you", then go through allthe formalities - and if you do decide to its not for you, you will not have incurred any costs and you'll also have no prob's selling it for sure - even on an N reg.

Tim

ATP er!!! - what are you rated for?

No - no VAT or any duties when the plane came in becuase I flew it in myyself after paying for it in Hong Kong.

Since then I have been using it fly around Thailand and South East Asia - mainly down to Pak Chong in Korat to pick up the kids every weekend from boarding school. That may sound daft to a lot of guys, but with fuel the price it is in Thailand (all fuels - including aiviation fuels) it actually works out not much more expensive than using the car but changes a day round trip down to 3 hours or so.

.....back to your question ..... no duty was paid when the aircraft came in because it was on a Singapore (9V) reg. Duties are now applicable because I am changing it to a Thai reg.

In your case you may like to bare this mind - the definiation of a Thai aircraft is one which is on a Thai reg (HS) - and untill that takes place no import or VAT duties are applicable. And I know exactly what is going through your mind - so before you ask, the answer is yes - you can keep it here on an N reg and fly it using your foreign ATP (and frozen or not - I dont think there are many guys who are question you if you are holding an ATP - where ever it comes from) - and duties will not be applicable.

Now just for how long you can get away with it (and its perfectly legal) before someone asks you how long you are intending to retain the N reg, I dont know - but in my case was a year before someone asked me about the 9V on the tinwork and whether I wanted to change it to HS - and I am now doing that, mainly for insurance reasons as the broker is Bkk based.

I want to add something to this - and I add it because there is G reg PA28 up here belonging to an Isreali gemstone dealer who uses it to fly to Bkk and what he done was pretty much the same as you. He chopped the wings off and had it flown down to KL, where he screwed them back on himself, and flew the plane into Hat Yai (clearing Immigration in Hat Yai) and then onto Bkk (and now Loei - where the craft spends about 3 days a week the rest in Chang Raia and Bkk). His reasoning is that by keeping it on G reg he has had no paperwork to do as yet (and it gave him a visa run - which is what he uses it for as well!).

But like myself, he will at some point in the not to distant furture be asked what his long term palns are, at which he will pay the dues and change to HS (getting his Thai license as well then).

The only reason I mention all this is you may like to consider having it flown into singapore or some other neighbouring country, putting it back together and then flying into Thailand with it clearing through a southern airport that is alot quieter than the airports and airspace up here - setting the precendent for your plane been in the country - and then once you have decided that "this is for you", then go through allthe formalities - and if you do decide to its not for you, you will not have incurred any costs and you'll also have no prob's selling it for sure - even on an N reg.

Tim

Thanks Tim: for all the good information.

I'm rated on the B747, I'm a Captain for a major airline.

I tought the only way to be legal, was to fly the plane with a thia HS. plane in thailand, having the plane base here., I will look into it.

Thanks again.

Kevin