Norwegian 'stuck in the mud' couple's return to Krabi wins local admiration

webfact

Norwegian couple’s return to mud sinking wins local admiration for their wisdom
12170883_10153704753033637_976153312_o-w
BANGKOK: -- The two elderly Norwegian couple saved earlier from sinking mud in Krabi beach by a local fisherman were back to the site again for photo taking but this time was wiser with two large plastic basins to prevent them from sinking.

The return to the sinking mud was revealed by Krabi municipal mayor Keeratisak Pukaoluan on his Facebook today with pictures of the couple taking photos of marine lives on the mangrove forest there.

The two returned to the mud at the Chao Fa dam to resume their passion for bird photography yesterday.

But this time the husband was seen standing in one of two black plastic basins, to prevent him sinking while taking snapshots of birds and other mangrove creatures, with his wife standing nearby.

On his Facebook, the mayor admired the couple when they returned with two plastic basins at 7.45 am Sunday which he said was the local wisdom that could help to prevent sinking in the mud.

“This is what we really don’t realise of it,” he wrote on his Facebook.

He said the couple would stay in Krabi for the next two weeks and asked local people who meet them to say “Hello” to them.

Both were rescued by a fisherman, Chad Ubonchinda, 44, after becoming trapped in thick river mud in Krabi last Friday while photographing birds.

They became stuck in the mud, sinking up to their thighs before Mr Chad spotted them from his boat.

Then he threw himself face down on the muddy floor to allow, firstly the female tourist, to climb on his back to free herself from the mud and, later on, for the other to do likewise. When the two tourists managed to walk by themselves to safety, Pichit left the scene without asking for anything in return.

The video clip of the rescue was posted by a Facebook user Theerasak Saksritawee which attracted over 2.7 million views and 160,000 ‘’likes’’ as of Tuesday morning.

The clip shows the fisherman taking the couple’s camera gear and tripod to higher ground before trying unsuccessfully to lift each of them from the mud. He then lay down, acting as a platform, so they could pull themselves free

Meanwhile Tourism and Sports Ministry Kobkarn Wattanavarangkul said today the ministry will give Mr Chad a cash reward and a plaque to honour his actions in rescuing the elderly Norwegians.

The presentation would be made on Tuesday afternoon, after the weekly cabinet meeting, said Ms Kobkarn.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/norwegian-couples-return-to-mud-sinking-wins-local-admiration-for-their-wisdom

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-20

Determined Norwegian bird-enthusiasts flock back to treacherous mudpit
By Coconuts Bangkok

norwegian_tourists_back_in_mud.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The elderly Norwegian birdwatching couple now famous around the world was spotted right back in the mud just days after being rescued from the same place by an honorable Krabi fisherman.

But this time the husband stood within the safety of an upside-down bucket to prevent being sucked down to his doom, as he took photos of bird life in the marsh.

Krabi mayor Keeratisak Phukaoluan posted the photo on Facebook Sunday admiring the two tourists for their smart bucket method and their passion for birdwatching in Krabi.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/10/20/determined-norwegian-bird-enthusiasts-flock-back-treacherous-mudpit

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-10-20

Admiration is not the feeling that comes into my mind!

Any word of them giving an award or even say thanks to the fisherman?

Plenty.

Try reading the other threads on this story.

Yes I did, but I saw nothing from the Norwegians. Maybe my mistake.

Khun Chad Ubonchind should be made head of the Tourist Authority of Thailand, he has done more good for the tourism industry then all of the TAT`s publicity put together.

The man should be awarded a large donation of monies for his good deeds, as that`s what he deserves.

Khun Chad Ubonchind should be made head of the Tourist Authority of Thailand, he has done more good for the tourism industry then all of the TAT`s publicity put together.

The man should be awarded a large donation of monies for his good deeds, as that`s what he deserves.

Apparently already in receipt of varied forms of remuneration.

where are the Thai bashers? come on out the wood work already!

Ok I will bite...... While this is a great story, I find it interesting that so much

adulation is being heaped upon the guy doing the rescuing. He is simply one

human being helping another in a time of need. Is this so unusual in Thailand

that a very big deal needs to be made of it ?? If another farang had

done the rescuing, would the story have been as large? :-)

Ok I will bite...... While this is a great story, I find it interesting that so much

I am sure if it had been me that helped the fat old Norwegian blok, or it would had been a Thai stuck in the mud, no one would have been interested.

The publicity involved is all good for business, it promotes a belief that Thailand is full of Farang friendly natives who`s ambitions are to make sure tourists have a safe and enjoyable time. No need to explain further, we know this already.

I will bite too ... whats the big deal? This guy is getting some royal recognition too. There are hundreds and thousands of Thais helping foreigners and locals a like every day. Its almost as if helping another person is unheard of nowadays. No matter how much negativity there are towards Thais in this forum, Thais still are a friendly and helpful bunch.

My car was stuck in the country side after making a wrong turn, got stuck in a muddy road, car couldn't move and it started to rain, the whole village came - well more like 6 people to help me push my car out, took 2-3 hours. They were knee deep in mud and all covered from head to toe at the end of the day. I offered them some cash as that was the least I could do, they refuse to accept it. Even offer to help hose my car off when I drove by their hut.

Exactly, after i rescued a Thai young father out of the sea on Samui i just went back to swim more. The whole beach was full of staring farang but nobody acted when he yelled for help because he was drawning.

His wife and young kids were making deep wais to me but couldn't speak english at all.

No big deal, i'm glad that i wasn't in the newspapers and so. I don't feel like a hero it's just something any healthy man should do.

These Norwegians are a very cheap couple. Not even giving the man who freed them a reward. He could have run off with there camera and gear and left them in the mud. Sure the man said he did not want a reward but come on you cheap people. The man is out of work and a little some thing from you would be a nice gesture! I would be ashamed to come back if i was so ungreatful.

These Norwegians are a very cheap couple. Not even giving the man who freed them a reward. He could have run off with there camera and gear and left them in the mud. Sure the man said he did not want a reward but come on you cheap people. The man is out of work and a little some thing from you would be a nice gesture! I would be ashamed to come back if i was so ungreatful.

They did give him a reward. 10,000 baht I think it was.

No, this kind act is not so unusual. I see decent people do decent things all the time here.

This is just a news story that happened to fill a serious void in the midst of nothing but endless bad news to report. It is a nice story, I am always happy to see a nice news story about someone doing something decent. But Thailand is currently desperate for any news that isn't bad or gloomy, and presents the country in a positive light. Hence, the endless, over the top promotion of what would otherwise by a one day feel-good news item.

What is your problem?

what on earth made you think I have a problem? or did I hit your sweet spot?

No you didn't.

You have a real problem.

You see a story like this where everyone involved has genuinely proven themselves to be a decent right minded person and use it to push your paranoid agenda that any comment not loving Thailand is "Thai bashing".

Pathetic.

I think Khun Chad did the right thing and a good deed.

I think the Norwegian couple showed their thankfulness and I guess, THB 10.000 is money, Khun Chad would not earn in a long time, so good on all of them!

What really p's me off big time, is all the morons, seeking a cheap photo- opp to promote some agenda, they have!

I wish, they would be as active, every time anyone gets ripped off or hurt in the LOS!

wai.gif Khun Chad & the Norwegians!

bah.gif the TAT, Minister of Tourism etc.

Exactly, after i rescued a Thai young father out of the sea on Samui i just went back to swim more. The whole beach was full of staring farang but nobody acted when he yelled for help because he was drawning.

His wife and young kids were making deep wais to me but couldn't speak english at all.

No big deal, i'm glad that i wasn't in the newspapers and so. I don't feel like a hero it's just something any healthy man should do.

You mean you are on overstay, so didn't want the publicity :)