Mac computers cheaper or higher priced in Thailand vs USA?

321Rich

I’m planning a trip to Chiang Mai soon and want to get a new 13-inch MacBook Air computer to play with while there. Purchased here in the USA it appears the price ranges from $999 to $1,199 (depending on configuration.) plus tax of 6%.

—Would I expect to pay more if I just purchased it there in Chiang Mai? No, I will not take a trip to another city to make a purchase.

Yes, you'll pay quite a bit more in Thailand than in the USA and you will have to order an English-only keypad if that is what you want. Also, it's important to consider that the warranty will likely not be valid in the USA. My USA bought iPhone 6 warranty was not valid in Thailand, which I learned the hard way when something went wrong. I'm guessing you may have a similar problem with a MacBook Air warranty if it is purchased in Thailand. There is no official Apple store in Thailand. It's not the best place to own an Apple computer.

Thanks for the information, Tropo. That is what I expected but I just wanted to make sure. Another obvious benefit of getting it here before the trip is the ability to synchronize calendars and appointment data as well as set up the warranty information a little easier.

Thanks for the information, Tropo. That is what I expected but I just wanted to make sure. Another obvious benefit of getting it here before the trip is the ability to synchronize calendars and appointment data as well as set up the warranty information a little easier.

You're welcome! If something goes wrong with it in Thailand, resist any urge to allow any Thai technicians to touch it.

warranty on mac computers is international.

Until the price rise yesterday Macs from the thailand Apple store were selling for less than the US store, hence the adjustment.

The base mac air is now 37900baht which at todays rate is $1070, the US apple store (inc. 6%) is $1058

But, IMHO, I don't 'get' the air - The 13" retina pro for a little more, is a MUCH better computer (and only 230 grams heavier!!)

Base Pro in thailand 49900baht or $1409. Us price = $1376

But compare the specs..(base models, Pro first)

Screen resolution 2560x1600 1440x900

CPU 2.7MHz i5 1.6MHz i5

GPU (intel iris) 6100 6000

SSD 128GB 128GB

RAM 8GB 4GB

HDMI out Yes No

Force touch Yes No

Battery life 10 hrs 12 hrs

For 300 bucks more, I know my choice thumbsup.gif

warranty on mac computers is international.

Until the price rise yesterday Macs from the thailand Apple store were selling for less than the US store, hence the adjustment.

The base mac air is now 37900baht which at todays rate is $1070, the US apple store (inc. 6%) is $1058

But, IMHO, I don't 'get' the air - The 13" retina pro for a little more, is a MUCH better computer (and only 230 grams heavier!!)

Base Pro in thailand 49900baht or $1409. Us price = $1376

But compare the specs..(base models, Pro first)

Screen resolution 2560x1600 1440x900

CPU 2.7MHz i5 1.6MHz i5

GPU (intel iris) 6100 6000

SSD 128GB 128GB

RAM 8GB 4GB

HDMI out Yes No

Force touch Yes No

Battery life 10 hrs 12 hrs

For 300 bucks more, I know my choice thumbsup.gif

GHz I should say..!

facepalm.gif

Yes, you'll pay quite a bit more in Thailand than in the USA and you will have to order an English-only keypad if that is what you want. Also, it's important to consider that the warranty will likely not be valid in the USA. My USA bought iPhone 6 warranty was not valid in Thailand, which I learned the hard way when something went wrong. I'm guessing you may have a similar problem with a MacBook Air warranty if it is purchased in Thailand. There is no official Apple store in Thailand. It's not the best place to own an Apple computer.

Rubbish! facepalm.gif

You can get an English only keyboard easily here... and even the Thai / English keyboard is clear enough English to use... and you don't pay a lot more in Thailand, plus there are official Apple repair centres.... posted many times on this site.coffee1.gif

Read the pinned topics~! at top of page...

Rubbish! facepalm.gif

You can get an English only keyboard easily here... and even the Thai / English keyboard is clear enough English to use... and you don't pay a lot more in Thailand, plus there are official Apple repair centres.... posted many times on this site.coffee1.gif

It's your reply that is rubbish.facepalm.gif

I'm talking about keypads, not keyboards. I never said you can't get English only keypads here, but you have to order them. I know this because I had to order one here myself. Some retailers wanted to charge me 2500 baht for it. Why should a buyer settle for "clear enough" when paying 43K for a computer? As a touch typist I don't even look at keypads and if I had to could manage quite well on a Chinese keypad, but I still wouldn't settle for a combo one, simply because you don't have to, and it would be harder to sell in the US as few would be interested in buying an Apple computer with Thai script on it.

Thanks for pointing out there are Apple repair centers here in Thailand. Most of us know that already. I've read too many bad reports about Apple repair centers (on this forum) to have any confidence in them. Apple support here is crap. I don't know how you could read this forum and not know that.

Rubbish! facepalm.gif

It's your reply that is rubbish.facepalm.gif

I'm talking about keypads, not keyboards. I never said you can't get English only keypads here, but you have to order them. I know this because I had to order one here myself. Some retailers wanted to charge me 2500 baht for it. Why should a buyer settle for "clear enough" when paying 43K for a computer? As a touch typist I don't even look at keypads and if I had to could manage quite well on a Chinese keypad, but I still wouldn't settle for a combo one, simply because you don't have to, and it would be harder to sell in the US as few would be interested in buying an Apple computer with Thai script on it.

Thanks for pointing out there are Apple repair centers here in Thailand. Most of us know that already. I've read too many bad reports about Apple repair centers (on this forum) to have any confidence in them. Apple support here is crap. I don't know how you could read this forum and not know that.

Well, you did not make clear you were talking Iphone pads, .... I don't know for sure Although if ordered through the Apple store, I would think you would have the choice.

But in my experience using the official Apple warranty centres I've not read that they are all bad... especially now they are tied into some Ibeats stores around Thailand now... When I did send my Mac Air for battery replacement, there were not so many choices...a few years ago... things are improving ....

But many reports I have read here, is that people are not using the official centres.... or calling Apple first!

Archived