Foreigner Sub-Letting an Apartment, Bungalow or House - Questions.

Step one: A foreigner in Thailand rents or leases an apartment, bungalow or house (with properly executed formal Rental/Lease Agreement in Thai language) from a Thai National - for any length of time - say One Year. Then the Original Foreigner 'Renter' Sub-Lets the dwelling to another foreigner - how does this affect reporting an address by the second foreigner who is sub-letting the property?

Background: In Krabi Province until recently a foreigner who was in Thailand on a Exempt Entry or a Tourist Visa only had to verify where they were living by submitting a complete address, or sometimes a receipt from a Guesthouse or Hotel. I know this to be a fact as I did just that and I know of several friends who have done that. And it was all that was required.

In the past two months - at least - I know of two men - one here on an Exempt Entry and one here on a Tourist Visa who went to get a 30 day Extension at Krabi Immigration and were told that they had to come back with a Rental Agreement in the Thai Language. Not sure if they had to take a copy of the building/property owners Thai National ID card or House Papers.

Back to my questions: Does anyone have any idea as to how Krabi Immigration (or any other Immigration office) might look at this situation? If a foreigner came into their office for an Extension and did not have the original Rental Agreement (because it wouldn't be in their name). And would perhaps have only a Sub-Letting Rental Agreement with the original renter - a foreigner.

From reading Thaivisa.com Immigration forums avidly for a long time I have read numerous references to a foreigner renting a Condo owned by another foreigner. While similar - it is not the same situation exactly.

Can anyone shed any light on this ... And perhaps how one might proceed to satisfy the Immigration officer in this kind of situation. I understand about submitting an occupancy report but some precise suggestions on that would be helpful too.

Also - Please, I am hoping for some serious answers. If you want to lecture me in harsh tones ... please do not bother ... I will not read them.

Does anyone have any experience in this kind of situation? And would anyone care to hazard an Educated Guess as to what to do to properly satisfy the Immigration Office.

Thank you ahead of time...

It would probably require both rental agreements to be shown. The original with a copy of the owners ID card and house book attached. And the sublet rental agreement with a copy of original renters passport attached,

• Like 1

Oh no, I need to do a 30 day extension a single entry in the next couple of weeks but don't have a lease for the house I rent, just on my word, I do have a driver's license but it has a past passport number.

I'll be extending in Phuket

Oh no, I need to do a 30 day extension a single entry in the next couple of weeks but don't have a lease for the house I rent, just on my word, I do have a driver's license but it has a past passport number.

What I describe for Krabi Immigration and their wanting - insisting on for a 30 day Extension does not mean that I know it is the case for all 30 Day Extensions here -- I just know directly of two cases as they are my friends ... I was at the Immigration office when my friend on the Tourist Visa came out -- after he has submitted a rental agreement in English ... they said go back and get one in Thai Language ...

And I certainly do not know if any other Immigration offices other than Krabi Immigration are insisting on a rental agreement for anyone staying in an apartment, bungalow or house. If someone is staying in a resort, hotel, guesthouse or hostel - then as far as I know nothing has changed for them anywhere - just a receipt will do...

Edited by JDGRUEN

I just did a 30 day extension on a triple entry tourist visa in Pattaya. I just brought in my lease.

It was in English. I had to go back to the condo to get it but it was accepted without any

problems. The full address and my name were included on the lease as well as payment

amounts and payment schedules. I thought these forms were available on line to use, or

at least to use as templates. You could knock up your own and have it signed. I had no issues

once I produced all paperwork with multiple photo copies of the lease, passport, visa page,

etc....etc....Just make sure you go in 3 days early so you have time to fulfill any requests

for additional documentation. It will look more official if it is on some kind of letterhead.

Government officials always like things that look official. My buddy when sailing around the

world on his 42 ft sail boat took to wearing a captains shirt with epaulets and a captains cap

when he arrived in a new country/immigration office. He looked very official. He never had any

issues after he started with this affectation. Before that half the time there were questions

about paperwork and he was reviewed suspiciously. best of luck.thumbsup.gif

^ Thank you for that response.

I actually have a 5 year Thai Driver's license with the address BUT it has an old passport number. Might be a option to get that changes, but will need etc etc etc ? ...... It just never ever stops

I'm also concerned they will use this to wonder why i have a DL but am on a tourist visa, I suppose "I'm looking for a new job" could explain that. Of course do I then open myself up to having an inappropriate visa?

....It just never stops...

A suggestion I saw on the recent 90 day report problem thread is to just check into a cheap hotel.

I rent a shophouse and a second house in Krabi. When friends come over the can use my second house. First day I go to landlord with TM30 forms let her sign it all.

Then I go with friends to report at Krabi Immigration with signed copy of landlords ID and my rental contract in Thai.

He got extension without any problems.