What's the criteria for denying entry

I'm living in Thailand right now but want to visit some other countries in the region, however I've been reading articles about how immigration is rejecting people because they want to restrict border runs, which is making me a bit worried about leaving the country for just a few days.

I currently have a 60 days single entry visa, but I want to visit Hong Kong for the weekend. Will they let me back into the country? (because my visit might count as a border run?)

So far I've only stayed in the country for ~2 months. I have went in / out of the country 1 time before, for a week, to get my 60 day visa (I stayed visa free for the first 30 days because I'm an US citizen).

Thanks!

You have nothing to worry about.

• You could re-enter using visa exempt entry and be given a new 30 day stay.
  • If you have a lot of your 60 day stay left you could buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht). When you re-enter the IO will use the re-entry permit. If you have less than 30 days left you might as well enter using visa exempt entry.
Edited by elviajero

what about me this year 2015 i got only Non O visa , no tourist or exeption , can i be deny at the border ?

You would not be denied entry if you were able to leave the country. There are some border crossings on the Myanmar border that will not allow you to leave unless you a have valid visa to use for re-entry.

• Like 1

what about me this year 2015 i got only Non O visa , no tourist or exeption , can i be deny at the border ?

You would not be denied entry if you were able to leave the country. There are some border crossings on the Myanmar border that will not allow you to leave unless you a have valid visa to use for re-entry.

Ubon if i go aranyaprathet , in and out ok there right ? and e visa that mean no sticker ? you know i just got 1 free visa page

Ubon if i go aranyaprathet , in and out ok there right ? and e visa that mean no sticker ? you know i just got 1 free visa page

You can do an out/in visa exempt entry there unless you have a total of 90 days staying on them this year. Your non-o visas and extensions do not count towards the 90 days.

The e-visa is available there. See:https://www.evisa.gov.kh

You can do an out/in visa exempt entry there unless you have a total of 90 days staying on them this year. Your non-o visas and extensions do not count towards the 90 days.

The e-visa is available there. See:https://www.evisa.gov.kh

this year ? 2015 0 day on tourist

it is not tourist visas it is visa exempt entries that count towards the 90 days.

What they say is a calendar year. If they were to count last years it would be a year back from the date you were leaving the country.

in 2014 i got 3 month visa exempt , january feb and march and 1 month in november 2014

Edited by thai006

Ubonjoe, I read on the Thai Immigration site the other day that the 90 days in 6 month period has been discarded. Is this not relevant to visa exempts as well?

The 90 days in 6 months rule that was done away with 7 years ago was for exempt entries.

Immigration division 3 has set a 90 day limit for out/in visa exempt entries at crossing under their jurisdiction. That is only for 4 crossings to Cambodia and the one in Kanchanaburi.. It was done to stop serial border runners at those crossings.

I currently have a 60 days single entry visa

You've used your one entry so if you return you will be given a 30 day visa exempt entry when you enter. That can be extended by 30 days at immigrations if you stay here long enough to need it.

If you still have most of your days left on your 60 day tourist visa entry, you could get a re-entry permit before leaving for Hong Kong. When you return to Thailand you would put the re-entry permit number on your arrival card and your tourist visa permission to stay would still be valid up to the must leave by date you have now and it also could be extended for 30 days at immigrations if needed.

Either way you have nothing to worry about. You won't be denied entry.

Edited by Suradit69

Ubonjoe , I am an off shore worker and have spent a total of 85 days in Thailand this calander year (Jan-Oct) using visa exempt entries.

Will I be ok for my next vist in early November? (just read your comment about 90days)...Thanks

The 90 days I mentioned only applies to to 5 border crossings and is only for doing an out/in crossing.

Ubonjoe,

Are you aware of the specific criteria for being flagged at Suvarnabhumi, which happened to me last week. Are they the same as above? I have been staying in Thailand an average of 100-120 days per year for the last 5 years while working FIFO in sunny Africa, usually in Thailand for 2 weeks and 4-6 weeks between stays with the occasional back-to back exempt entries between contracts.

I have never overstayed, never worked in Thailand, never extended a visa exempt entry and have never done a land border run. All my in/outs have been for minimum 3 days by air and I thought that this was ok as have never been queried at all before. Most recently I have made three of these visa exempt entries back to back, with last week being my fourth. I was shown some thai on the immigration computer and was told "too many". The Immigration Supervisor was summoned and although he was very professional and courteous, still did not explain the specifics of what the thai said on the terminal or what constituted too many, no matter how I requested the info.

I showed them a copy of my 3 yr old Thai daughters birth certificate and I was eventually given an entry stamp stamp and was politely told that this would be my last visa exempt entry and would need a "proper visa" to enter Thailand again.

I am 41 and currently looking at options; either PE via Thai Elite or Non Immigrant O visa on basis of my 3yr old with my Thai GF. The latter seems much harder/complicated than it needs to be, but we are meeting with Amphur and lawyer up country next week to discuss specifics / timing & costs etc for legalising my parental rights.

Regardless, It would be nice to know what the specific criteria are in place (if any) for allowable visa exempt entries via air. I will be starting a new FIFO contract in Jan and if my "allowed days/visits" count resets, I may take this into account when making my decision. I have been in Thailand this year a total of approx 130 days to date with 7 visa exempt entries to date.

Cheers, Siktir

What the immigration officers see on the screen is an alert that you have done 6 or more visa exempt entries. It is then up to the officer to look at your previous entries to determine if you are using them to live here.

There is no rule that they can deny entry based upon having to many exempt entries. They can only do it under section 12 of the immigration act which typically is for not being able to show you have the funds to stay here and/or suspicion of working here.

If you could show 100k baht or more in the bank you could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai in Penang. Just your name on the birth certificate is enough.

What the immigration officers see on the screen is an alert that you have done 6 or more visa exempt entries. It is then up to the officer to look at your previous entries to determine if you are using them to live here.

There is no rule that they can deny entry based upon having to many exempt entries. They can only do it under section 12 of the immigration act which typically is for not being able to show you have the funds to stay here and/or suspicion of working here.

If you could show 100k baht or more in the bank you could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai in Penang. Just your name on the birth certificate is enough.

Thanks Ubonjoe.

This sounds like a better option. Is that a 12 month multiple entry visa?

Any reason why this is only available in Penang or best not to ask and just get my a$$ over there before they change their minds....

Ubonjoe, I read on the Thai Immigration site the other day that the 90 days in 6 month period has been discarded. Is this not relevant to visa exempts as well?

The 90 days in 6 months rule that was done away with 7 years ago was for exempt entries.

Immigration division 3 has set a 90 day limit for out/in visa exempt entries at crossing under their jurisdiction. That is only for 4 crossings to Cambodia and the one in Kanchanaburi.. It was done to stop serial border runners at those crossings.

when you say that , is the three pagoda border ?

when you say that , is the three pagoda border ?

It is the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing in Kanchanaburi. But I have not seen a confirmation they are allowing out/in exempt crossings.

Three pagodas is not open for border crossings.

<snip>

f you could show 100k baht or more in the bank you could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai in Penang. Just your name on the birth certificate is enough.

Interesting : what is the upper age limit of the child to use this option? Must the money be in a Thai bank account? If so, is there any aging requirement for the money in the bank?

<snip>

f you could show 100k baht or more in the bank you could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai in Penang. Just your name on the birth certificate is enough.

Interesting : what is the upper age limit of the child to use this option? Must the money be in a Thai bank account? If so, is there any aging requirement for the money in the bank?

There is no limit on the age of the child.

Penang will accept the money in the bank from anywhere. There no requirement for the money to be in the bank for any amount of time. They will also accept proof of income.

<snip>

There is no limit on the age of the child.

Penang will accept the money in the bank from anywhere. There no requirement for the money to be in the bank for any amount of time. They will also accept proof of income.

Children cease to be "children" in Thailand once the age of majority is reached (20)

Can a visa based on parenthood be obtained if the child is beyond the age of majority ?

The rules just say parent of a Thai no mention of child. A child will always be your child not matter the age.

The age of 20 is the age of maturity it does not make them no longer a child.

Thanks !

I was unaware of what the "rules" say.

The "child", may be a "child" in the eyes of the parent but at 20 they are , in reality, Adults!smile.png