Driver in Chiang Mai, smashes 3 cars, 8 motorbikes before crashing into a retail store

webfact

Driver in Chiang Mai, Smashes Three Cars and Eight Motorbikes before Crashing into a Retail Store

CHIANG MAI – Several people were injured when 74 year old Somnuek Saritnet smashed into three cars, eight motorbikes and a retail store in Chiang Mai.

Police said Mr.Somnuek Saritnet, suffered a seizure behind the wheel and pressed down on the accelerator uncontrollably, causing the pileup in Muang District Tuesday afternoon.

Mr Somnuek had been driving his Chevrolet along Sanam Keela road in tambon Chang Phuak when he suffered the seizure. He lost control of the vehicle and ploughed through the cars and motorbikes before ramming a shop selling construction materials.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/driver-in-chiang-mai-smashes-three-cars-and-eight-motorbikes-before-crashing-into-a-retail-store.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-10-22

If I hear about job losses, it's a recession

If I lose my job, it's a depression

If i read about car crashes, I feel bad for 10-seconds, maybe 20

If I get hit..........it could be a life changer

Be careful out there.....this place is getting CRAZY....

high season to start in 10, 9, .......

Went to renew my 5-year driving licenses yesterday in BKK. Saw a woman (in her 50s) failing the brake reaction test 3 times out of 4. Not sure if they failed her or not. Bloody scary thinking such people may be allowed to drive. TIT

At least he didn't run away from the scene

He was to old to run and more than likely injured to some degree. If he consulted a doctor the doctor should have notified the department of transport and they should have lifted his license to drive. They if anybody should face legal action. Then the Gemini in me kicked in and said "never happen"

The guy had a heart attack (seizure) so not his fault, happens in every country now and again even after medical certificates required after certain age.

A seizure is not the same as a heart attack. You should google "seizure" then google "myocardial infarction".

He had a history of fits. He should not have a driving license.

The guy had a heart attack (seizure) so not his fault, happens in every country now and again even after medical certificates required after certain age.

Congratulations on being the first one in the 'happens everywhere' camp. Frequencies and rates don't matter, right?

Oh Dear indeed he's a result

That doesn't answer the question.

Ah OK, they are "thinking about it".....

BANGKOK, 13 June 2014 (NNT) – The Medical Council of Thailand has entered into discussion with the Land Transport Department to find measures to address epileptic drivers, after Wednesday's tragic accident which killed 4 young students.

According to Dr. Samphan Khomrit, Medical Council of Thailand secretary-general, epilepsy seizure is unpredictable, and will occur without the patient knowing.

On Wednesday, a school director in Nong Bua Lamphu experienced such an episode of epileptic seizure while driving in front of the school in the morning. No longer having control over the vehicle, he rammed his SUV into several young students, killing 4 students and injuring 11 others.

Dr. Samphan said the Medical Council and the Land Transport Department were determining practical regulations on driver who have epilepsy, heart disease, diabetes and brain illnesses, in order to benefit the safety of the public.

Edited by Chicog

Some have a Lifetime Licence, remember that fact.

Does Thai law allow you to drive if you know you have a condition that can render you almost instantly unable to control yourself or the vehicle?

If it does, oh dear.

Do you think it makes a difference if the law allows or don't? (in Thailand)

Congratulations on being the first one in the 'happens everywhere' camp. Frequencies and rates don't matter, right?

It's necessary to remind people because there are too many idiot farangs who think that this sort of thing only happens in Thailand. As far as frequency, are you suggesting that drivers suffer seizures and kill people on a regular basis? Seriously? I rest my case.

Thanks for resting your case. The fact that you somehow think it isn't the drivers fault after having a history of seizures shows how analytical of a thinker you are. I am glad we disagree.

Thailand, 2nd deadliest roads in the world... Happens everywhere though!!! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864540-thailands-roads-second-deadliest-in-the-world-world-health-organization/

And to further add, for the happens everywhere folks, I have to ask... Why bother reporting the news? Why go trough the hassle of collecting data and reporting statistics?

Senseless vehicular deaths happen all the time all over the world....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/865406-three-dead-and-dozens-injured-in-oklahoma-parade-horror-crash/

But there is no need to turn such a tragedy into an American or Thai-bashing spectacle. That's the point.

On the bright side, it looks like Buddha was looking after him as no one was seriously injured. This could have been a lot worse. Expect to see him back on the road next week, though.

..what are you joking, look at the video,man!