Broke In Thailand Living On $300 Per Month

pinkpanther99

I live on $110-140 (4000-5000 THB) monthly, all inclusive. 48 yo - Bangkok

Why ?

I have always been low maintenance, not thrilled by fancy or luxurious things as well, I'm not wealthy either.

Believe it or not, most Thais I've met are richer than me.

EDIT:

I was asked likewise on a detailed post about my rent, food, and transportation expenses. Same answer was given.

Edited by mpa

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$300 THB/mo is a living wage for most average Thais here in the LOS. I know plenty of Thais who live on that much, and they are far from miserable.

Maybe not , but they have an extended family , they live in the family house and share the income with each other to survive until the next month .

If you live alone it's a completeley different matter.

Why would living alone make any difference? They can get an extremely basic room for as little as 1000 baht a month. They don't pay farang prices(i.e. 5000 a month rent). 10,000 is normal wages and they can live on it just fine.

If youd follow this guys non-sense you all wouldnt be so kind towrds him and his low income. He is into nasty s.h.i.t. He doesnt just sit in his apt and do nothing. He is taking advantage of LOS most vulnerable.

what kind of nasty s.h.i.t? how is he taking advantage of who?

If youd follow this guys non-sense you all wouldnt be so kind towrds him and his low income. He is into nasty s.h.i.t. He doesnt just sit in his apt and do nothing. He is taking advantage of LOS most vulnerable.

what kind of nasty s.h.i.t? how is he taking advantage of who?

pop shooting, dirty sanchez, mustache mike, tossin' salads, among other things.

I live on $110-140 (4000-5000 THB) monthly, all inclusive. 48 yo - Bangkok

Why ?

I have always been low maintenance, not thrilled by fancy or luxurious things as well, I'm not wealthy either.

EDIT:

I was asked likewise on a detailed post about my rent, food, and transportation expenses. Same answer was given.

OK fair enough but why as a person who isn't a big earner or a big spender did you chose to spend 1 or 2 months money on a flight to Thailand ?

Or are you Thai ?.

Edited by berybert

Like I said it is easy to live here, and well, spending not more than $300 US Dollars/month. I did.

But the reality is that if you have any costly addiction, you are a party animal, have a car, drive a lot, and like to live here like a mid-high class live in your own country, that is not possible. Specially in BK or tourist cities.

Also is not possible if you have a dependent GF or wife with kids, that also likes to have the same benefits, that many of her friends dating or getting married with "wealthy" foreigners.

Just having an expensive car, will make any Thai mid class woman believes that you will be a good "sponsor", and your dates will be not cheap, their families will like to have a part of your "wealth", etc, etc, etc....Only good if you do like to show off. You also will be surprised how many Thai women looking in date or marry a "farang", knows that you only can pay cash or with credit card, that you may need to have 800K in its bank account, or a good retirement or income to stay here...

Being at front with all Thai women expectations, will also be a surprise. Many of them, working and independent ones, do not care about your financial situation, are just looking for a good companion and a better relationship than before...and many..are very smart, very young, and very beautiful.

But...if you are an <deleted> .... no money will give you enough comfort and happiness.

"but it always amazes me why people choose to live such a life in a third world country"

What REALLY amaze me is why on earth do people from the first world ever step on the third world's soil.

Did YOU ever think about THAT?

Lets be real. Female genitalia does have its appeal. LOw costs and many times FREE.......................hahahaha!

Being at front with all Thai women expectations, will also be a surprise. Many of them, working and independent ones, do not care about your financial situation, are just looking for a good companion and a better relationship than before...and many..are very smart, very young, and very beautiful.

SO true. Explains why so many men(sexpats end up marrying girls of ill repute). The good ones(thaigirls) know who they(sexpats) are and stay clear of them.

If a farang's going to live on such a low income, Thailand is the place to do it.

It's beyond comprehension why anyone would want to live in a foreign country on such pitance.

People all over the world migrate to different countries because they can live a better quality of life, and are financially secure.

People leaving the west to live in a third world country to live in a 20 sqm room, with a fan, mattress on the floor on 9,000 baht a month.

Now that's what I call quality of life!!

No wonder the thai's don't want us here!!!

"People all over the world migrate to different countries because they can live a better quality of life, and are financially secure."

It is an extremely small percentage of people who are successful in their home country that would migrate to another country - especially to a 3rd World country.

When one cannot lead a decent life at home, they migrate to a 'cheap' country of their choice and start whining quite soon as the natives in that country who are successful dont really care of the foreigner - it is only the poor who will 'look up' to the foreigner who is riding a high horse amongst the poor.

I live on $110-140 (4000-5000 THB) monthly, all inclusive.

Why ?

OK fair enough but why as a person who isn't a big earner or a big spender did you chose to spend 1 or 2 months money on a flight to Thailand ?

Or are you Thai ?.

Thai?

Wish I was as I don't speak the language. I said most Thais I ve met are richer than me (which is true) just to emphasize.

Im pretty good at finding the cheapest flight combination. It cost me 200 euros to get here from the UK -where I was residing at the time- with a 30kg luggage, almost a year ago.

My beloved London landlady was charging me zero money for the last 3 months, considering my economical situation(=normality to me but it doesnt seem the same to others).

Thanks to a wealthy friend, I spent 3 months on the top floor of a Chao Phraya waterfront residence, but as he was leaving I had to do smt in order to live on.

Teaching -part time mostly- was the obvious.

Now I'm looking for a different occupation if Im lucky enough to find anything really, otherwise I ll go back to tutoring, not my actual proffession though.

Getting 49 makes the whole thing kinda challenging but spending up to $140 per month, gives me plenty of time. Thai gf helps too.

I had an offer to work elsewhere but some fellas are not to be trusted, so better stick to my usual habits than getting involved God knows where.

"but it always amazes me why people choose to live such a life in a third world country"

What REALLY amaze me is why on earth do people from the first world ever step on the third world's soil.

Did YOU ever think about THAT?

Lets be real. Female genitalia does have its appeal. LOw costs and many times FREE.......................hahahaha!

smile.png

So I understand that "Female genitalia" are a rare and expensive commodity in the developed world?

Explains a lot about the uncontrollable "whining gang" !

biggrin.png

as for VISARUNS - that does not necessarily have to be an expensive activity. If the OP lives in BKK, he could take the 3rd class (at least until recently when the rules at Poipet border changed in wake of the Bangkok bombings) train from Hua Lamphong to Aranyaprathet - 48 Baht each way. Then take a sawngthaew to the border and back. no idea what that costs, but including the intra-Bangkok Bus ride to get to Hua Lamphong, it could be done for less than 200 Baht

The West is ravaged by capitalism.

Every worker is under huge pressure by constantly having to compete with other work forces from low cost countries doing the same job for a fraction of the price. Everyday people are losing jobs, houses, families are broken.

Most companies have relocated to low cost countries for their production. It only makes sense that workers now do the same.

I say this guy is a modern hero for having found his temporally way out of the pressure and for adapting to Thai life standards.

accommodation is shit but much better than in Africa , monks live like this guy and are happy. less cleaning, ... why you need a big house anyway? to show off or make feel yourself a successful farang businessman? . that don't impress me much. we all know your success come from a mega ponzi scheme and your fat cheque one day will not come so my suggestion is get ready to live like a thai, because maybe one day you won't have even this privileges to have a room for your self.

we have been spoiled.

Edited by VIPinthailand

I came in around us350 a few months years ago when thb was at 37 which is about 13000.

Scotch was much cheaper, nightly price war in Pattaya agogo's on drafts. I never paid a bf, hoodrats and chicks I'd meet in Inet cafes and around town happy to show up clean, fresh before work for a drink and a ST 3/500b. I eat only Thai. Serviced apt in middle of Pattaya.

Actually, I look back quite fondly of those years.

Of course some months were double that due to visa runs or trips...

Even now my flat expenses are about 20k. That incls laundry, dinner out with wife 1x a week, transportation to work, four L of Dewer's.

as for VISARUNS - that does not necessarily have to be an expensive activity. If the OP lives in BKK, he could take the 3rd class (at least until recently when the rules at Poipet border changed in wake of the Bangkok bombings) train from Hua Lamphong to Aranyaprathet - 48 Baht each way. Then take a sawngthaew to the border and back. no idea what that costs, but including the intra-Bangkok Bus ride to get to Hua Lamphong, it could be done for less than 200 Baht

Assuming he lives in bkk, preferred method is minivan. It is a brutal one day affair.

I lived on TRs for fifteen years spending from two to ten mos a year here.

He might be a noob with a fresh passport and that golden one year when visas still are for the asking. I can tell you from deep, hard experience that this guy isn't being entirely honest bcz even the cheapest visa run is about 6k incl visa and that's a single. So, hopping borders is pretty done and now huge expenses must be incurred.

Judging from my eyes and discussions I was one of the very last old hands that was able to hang on for a 15 yrs on TRs. Not bad for being well under 50.

I met my wife at 49 and moved to marriage visa at 52.

Due to these costs, I'm calling bs on this guy.

Further, I bet he eats crap. I'd say you could eat oats in am, proper Thai lunch with veggies, fruit and light snack, that's every bit 200, minimum 150. That's 4750 there.

Cheap flat in BKK rented by falang, that ain't happening for less than 3500 with utils on those flats b10/11 for elec.

So, that's 8k right there. Utilities...

Alcohol

Companionship

Dental

Transportation

Entertainment (young guy)

Travel (no, how sad)

Hey, how about trip to the islands?!

If you're just existing, that's nothing to be proud of.

Some people save money by existing on the good graces and hospitality of Thai culture. This lot angers me to no end.

He said visa run costs average out to $50/week, not that a visa run costs that.

So a ~$150 visa run, then no visa costs for 60 days, then just a $60 extension for another 30 days, and so on... averages out to around $50/month.

He's out in Thonburi, rooms are cheap. Has a girlfriend at home for entertainment.

He's not doing this long term, just a few months then back home to start a job.

The West is ravaged by capitalism.

Every worker is under huge pressure by constantly having to compete with other work forces from low cost countries doing the same job for a fraction of the price. Everyday people are losing jobs, houses, families are broken.

Most companies have relocated to low cost countries for their production. It only makes sense that workers now do the same.

I say this guy is a modern hero for having found his temporally way out of the pressure and for adapting to Thai life standards.

CAPITALISM has raised the standard of living for more people than anything else. If NOrth Korea did it it would work there too. Only problem is then dear leader wouldnt be needed anymore-so surely he wont let it happen.

If Japan went more Capitlism they would smoke China instead they are mired in a decade long recession. They are so uptight. Took me 30 minutes to change a $100 bill once.

Theres 2 Chinas-private sector and public sector. A businesee analyst said theres 2 economies. The private sector is doing fine the one run by govt sucks duck eggs!

He said visa run costs average out to $50/week, not that a visa run costs that.

So a ~$150 visa run, then no visa costs for 60 days, then just a $60 extension for another 30 days, and so on... averages out to around $50/month.

He's out in Thonburi, rooms are cheap. Has a girlfriend at home for entertainment.

He's not doing this long term, just a few months then back home to start a job.

He has been living like this for years. He is just wasting his life away with bargirls. Bargirls are ok for older people with money.

I guess his writings are not making him a whole lotta money! neither did his nude modeling.

Edited by Nomyai

Some people save money by existing on the good graces and hospitality of Thai culture. This lot angers me to no end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read some of his musing it seems he LEECHES off thais.

Had a look at the budget, not really anything solid there.

Id bet he met some frumpy cow and she agreed to let him move in. It's very difficult for farang to get those 2500/3000b flats and he speaks no Thai.

The real trade off for her is that I'd bet 500b he led this woman on to believe that there was a future for them - her in UK.

So, he led her along and sponged off her.

His food costs are ridiculous and if your best tip is don't drink at Nana, its bs.

In fact, how in the F can he even afford beer?

Yeah, visa would be not 6k and that's a single. Let's say he did score a double at 7k. Add to this to at the time us20 Cambo visa (can a noob pull this off on Cambo border, nope), b500 r/t minivan, lunch, whiskey us10. That's b1500...I know, I can do that runner.

You can read all day on TV guys that cannot pay us20.

So, that's 8500 for four months b2125 per month and well over us50, about fifty percent over at nearly 75 bucks.

Sadly, I'm sure he did spend 300 and the gf made it up on her salary as service staff in a gogo.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

Had a look at the budget, not really anything solid there.

Id bet he met some frumpy cow and she agreed to let him move in. It's very difficult for farang to get those 2500/3000b flats and he speaks no Thai.

The real trade off for her is that I'd bet 500b he led this woman on to believe that there was a future for them - her in UK.

So, he led her along and sponged off her.

His food costs are ridiculous and if your best tip is don't drink at Nana, its bs.

In fact, how in the F can he even afford beer?

Yeah, visa would be not 6k and that's a single. Let's say he did score a double at 7k. Add to this to at the time us20 Cambo visa (can a noob pull this off on Cambo border, nope), b500 r/t minivan, lunch, whiskey us10. That's b1500...I know, I can do that runner.

You can read all day on TV guys that cannot pay us20.

So, that's 8500 for four months b2125 per month and well over us50, about fifty percent over at nearly 75 bucks.

Sadly, I'm sure he did spend 300 and the gf made it up on her salary as service staff in a gogo.

I think you are right sir. He does seem like a smooth talker. Make a downtrodden thai girl believe things he has no intention of delivering. SCUM.

Hey all, I'm the guy who was interviewed. Just clearing up a couple of things...

Visa:

---------------

I'm not on overstay. The $50 a month for visa costs is an average figure, based off:

1) 4,000 baht for a trip to Vientiane (500 baht for the train, 500 for a room in Vientiane for the night, 2,000 for the double entry visa, 1,000 for misc expenses such as food, taxi to the embassy early in the morning so I only have to stay 1 day etc).

2) 3,800 for 2 visa extensions (1,900 each time).

3) 2,000 for a border run to Cambodia to activate the second leg of the visa.

So 9,800, call it 10,000 all in. That gets me 6 months in Thailand, do that twice and it's 20,000 for the year, $560 for the year....around $50 a month. Of course some months this figure is zero and other months it's a lot more, but it's an average. -----------

Housing - the cost of the room is 2,500 baht, plus around 500 for electric and water. Me and the girlfriend split this cost, so 1,500 each. I fail to see how that's 'leeching' at all, that's 2 people...in a room...paying half the cost of said room each. Seems like the very definition of fair, to me.

Food - set aside 200 baht a day for food, 6,000 a month...it's plenty. Chicken and rice near me goes for 40 baht, a decent meal of beef and rice is 50 baht, and pad thai in the evenings is another 40. Extra 70 or so is just for that one time a month I'll grab a McDonalds, or go buy some chocolate, grab some beers or something.

If you fail to see how it's possible, just think that I have no expenses besides food, the 1,500 a month for the room, and visas. No transport to work. No buying clothes for work. No drinking in Sukhumvit. Me and the girlfriend go to the cinema on Wednesday when they do those half price tickets, go to the park somedays and rent one of those mats for 20 baht etc. If you're dropping 4,000 in a night drinking at nightclubs charging 180 baht for a beer then of course it can't be done.

Believe it or not, you do get used to life without the aircon. For the first week it's crap and feeling outrageously hot, but you adjust fairly fast.

I don't have health insurance.

I could almost certainly earn more if I just jacked the online poker in and did some English teaching job for a year, but who wants to be answerable to 'the man' 5 days a week, have to wear a shirt and tie in this heat and stand in a room full of 40 or 50 kids for 30,000-40,000 baht a month? I'd much rather be on 11,000 and do something I like! I'm not a great poker player by any means, but I enjoy the theory of the game and can spend hours in computer software programs working out how best to play different hands etc.

It's true there's not much in reserve for downswings, but at the time of writing I've got $350 online, which is 35 buyins at the stakes I play - this would typically be seen as adequate by most players at $10 buyin games. I'm hoping I can grow this figure over the next few months, naturally.

You are right about the air-con, I haven't had it in my house for 3 months now and I am well used to it.

Can I make a suggestion?

Why not become a teacher for one year on a 40,000 baht salary. Save 29,000 x 12 and reinvest it back into the poker? $350 is not the bankroll of a professional full time player, surely you must know that? Something is going to go wrong in your life and you are not going to have a single baht to your name to fix the problem, you could get sick, need to go back home, girlfriend needs to buy something urgently etc.

Anyway if you are happy, good for you and best of luck in the future but why not even work on the weekends at a language school for some extra cash?

Edited by bkkgooner