International To Domestic Connection

rijkard

Hi I'll be flying into BKK and then on to Phuket and was just wondering what it is like transferring from an international to domestic flight. Remember that good old walk between terminals at DM? Is it anything like that? And will I be able to avoid the (from the sounds of) crowded narrow snarled arrival area?

Thanks and good luck to everyone using the new airport

Edited by rijkard

Hi I'll be flying into BKK and then on to Phuket and was just wondering what it is like transferring from an international to domestic flight. Remember that good old walk between terminals at DM? Is it anything like that? And will I be able to avoid the (from the sounds of) crowded narrow snarled arrival area?

Thanks and good luck to everyone using the new airport

Are you flying both segments on THAI? If so, the transfer should be very easy. You can check your baggage all the way through to Phuket, and when you arrive at Suvarnabhumi you can transit directly to your Phuket flight and wait to be processed at immigration in Phuket rather than at Suvarnabhumi. This is definitely the preferred way of doing it if you're flying on THAI. It is very convenient. With that being said, the international to domestic transfer point was closed at Suvarnabhumi on late Friday night when I went through there. It looked like it was almost ready for opening, but wasn't open at that time. It could be that it was just they were closed for the night, but I got the impression that it just wasn't quite finished yet, but would be opening within a day or two. Maybe someone else coming through soon will be able to report on if the transfer point is open or not. Again, this is only for THAI passengers.

If you're travelling on another airline, then I'm not sure what the policy will be. You likely will be required to exit immigration at Suvarnabhumi to collect your bags and then check-in on your domestic carrier. But domestic and international are all in the same building now. There is no long walk between the two like there was at Don Muang. You'll exit the baggage claim/customs on level 2, then you can go up to level 4 where all international and domestic departures are. It'll take you maybe 5 minutes. If you have a cart with lots of luggage, there are moving walkways which you can use to take you from one level to the next. No need to wait for elevators unless you want to.

The international arrival area is where the big problem is. While the domestic arrival area is the same size, there are not as many arriving passengers, and not as many greeters or touts. So it may be slow going getting through the greeters, but shouldn't be too bad. Once you get to the moving walkway, it should be clear sailing, provided they are able to convince Thais not to go on sightseeing tours of the new airport.

Edited by Soju