how serious is it not to get vaccinations in phuket?

P4K

There are no vaccinations available at all for the most common mosquito-borne disease, malaria

Wrong. You can take pre-emptive tablets when in a malaria prone area to stop infection.

Op, I would be more worried about catching a cold/virus off your partner for the night than worrying about malaria and dengue in places like Bangkok and Phuket, lol.

Malaria is not a worry except in some border regions. But dengue is a huge concern! Over 50,000 cases reported last year in Thailand. And yes, in Phuket as well as Bangkok. http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dengue-in-thailand-tops-50000-cases-81268/

Simple measures reduce risk !

http://www.cdc.gov/Dengue/prevention/

It doesn't help much when you have idiots for neighbors… I still get bit with repellent on and screens on my windows.

I'm guessing science was not this poster's strongest subject at school.

What interests me psychologically is why certain people are drawn to this sort of thing.

Whereas most people are naturally suspicious of single individuals who are cranky and espouse a whole range of dubious fringe theories, make sweeping condemnations way outside their field of expertise, and have been convicted of actual fraud by their peers, some people, like this poster, gravitate towards this kind of person, and this world view, as if it supplies some need.

It's very strange, as it goes against all common sense, never mind scientific evaluation: it's like falling for a lottery scam, or a Nigerian con e-mail: in some way the victim wants it to happen, and moves towards it.

I really would like to understand this. These people wouldn't want the airplane they fly overseas on to be serviced by a maverick aircraft engineer, who was not trained in aircraft engineering, has been fired, and whose ideas are condemned by 99.9% of other aircraft engineers, and yet when it comes to health matters, these are the kind of people who they trust. Why?

You seem to have a very superficial grasp of the issue. Dr Wakefield got into a lot of trouble because he said that in his opinion, evidence indicating a possible link between the MMR vaccine and autism deserved further investigation, but now a senior CDC scientist has confessed to destroying study data showing that vaccines cause autism. This means that the CDC is not a trustworthy source of information and that public trust in the safety of vaccines is misplaced. What part of this don't you understand?

I'm guessing science was not this poster's strongest subject at school.

What interests me psychologically is why certain people are drawn to this sort of thing.

Whereas most people are naturally suspicious of single individuals who are cranky and espouse a whole range of dubious fringe theories, make sweeping condemnations way outside their field of expertise, and have been convicted of actual fraud by their peers, some people, like this poster, gravitate towards this kind of person, and this world view, as if it supplies some need.

It's very strange, as it goes against all common sense, never mind scientific evaluation: it's like falling for a lottery scam, or a Nigerian con e-mail: in some way the victim wants it to happen, and moves towards it.

I really would like to understand this. These people wouldn't want the airplane they fly overseas on to be serviced by a maverick aircraft engineer, who was not trained in aircraft engineering, has been fired, and whose ideas are condemned by 99.9% of other aircraft engineers, and yet when it comes to health matters, these are the kind of people who they trust. Why?

You seem to have a very superficial grasp of the issue. Dr Wakefield got into a lot of trouble because he said that in his opinion, evidence indicating a possible link between the MMR vaccine and autism deserved further investigation, but now a senior CDC scientist has confessed to destroying study data showing that vaccines cause autism. This means that the CDC is not a trustworthy source of information and that public trust in the safety of vaccines is misplaced. What part of this don't you understand?

The man was a proven fraud and Charleton !

Go and read some real science which proves beyond doubt that Wakefield was indeed a stranger to the truth.

Here......... a unique whole population study !

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15877763

Wakefield acted properly and with compete integrity at all times, unlike the members of the medical-pharmaceutical and the Murdoch news mafia, and the weasel journalist they used to vilify and persecute Wakefield. It's was all about protecting the vaccination racket in order to continue to poison babies and infants for profit under the guise of disease prevention.

I recommend this lecture in which Dr. Wakefield defends his research:

Wakefield acted properly and with compete integrity at all times, unlike the members of the medical-pharmaceutical and the Murdoch news mafia, and the weasel journalist they used to vilify and persecute Wakefield. It's was all about protecting the vaccination racket in order to continue to poison babies and infants for profit under the guise of disease prevention.

I recommend this lecture in which Dr. Wakefield defends his research:

Explain this

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15877763

Wakefield is a proven "quack" and fraudster.