Custom Made Orthotic shoe inserts in Chiang Mai?

Wuvu2

They are certified Podologists, not physicians. As far as I know, there are no physicians making orthotics in Chian Mai, but you might inquire at one of the hospitals. This thread has been around the block several times during the past three years, and I don't think anything has changed.

tanawat-clinic

Dr. Tanawat Vaseenon is an Orthopaedic Doctor at the Chiang Mai university hospital who has his own clinic. 053 945 544

It is on Thipanet Rd coming from the moat before you get to Wualai Rd (the silver road) maybe about 100yards give or take. It will be on the Right side of the road.

What he does is take impressions of your feet and sends them in with the shoes to get the inserts. I had two pair and was satisfied with them. 3,000 baht a pair. Not cheap. Maybe more now.

Edited by northernjohn

tanawat-clinic

Dr. Tanawat Vaseenon is an Orthopaedic Doctor at the Chiang Mai university hospital who has his own clinic. 053 945 544

It is on Thipanet Rd coming from the moat before you get to Wualai Rd (the silver road) maybe about 100yards give or take. It will be on the Right side of the road.

What he does is take impressions of your feet and sends them in with the shoes to get the inserts. I had two pair and was satisfied with them. 3,000 baht a pair. Not cheap. Maybe more now.

The Walker Foot Clinic at San Sai ask for 7500 baht for one pair.

Few have perfect feet and I know many people benefit from orthotics. There is a documented tendency however for podiatrists to overprescribe them as the profit margin is huge.

I have flat feet and you don't know how many times I have been pushed orthotics. Do I have foot pain? No. "Well you'll run faster, have better posture, and less fatigue".

Rubbish.

Many so-called foot problems can helped with Yoga or stretching or post exertion icing. It has become a subject of concern in the running community and they are even pushing them on cyclists now. Then again how many 40-50 yr old guys do you see riding around on ridiculously expensive bicycles when they would be just fine on a cheaper bike and losing some weight?

I'd reckon 3000 Baht is a good price as I hear of people being fleeced for $500-800USD.

Edited by arunsakda

tanawat-clinic

Absolutely, there is no other place in Chiang Mai that a person should go.

When they are made you have the added benefit of an MD orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle problems, checking them out, seeing how your gait is and if there are any problems he's there to help you and can get them readjusted if necessary.

Don't go to these less qualified people.

I agree completely! Fortunately, the folks at the Podology Center are highly qualified. I've had orthotics made by medical doctors, by sports trainers, and by the Podology Center. All were excellent, none better than the others. Just some more expensive.

I agree completely! Fortunately, the folks at the Podology Center are highly qualified. I've had orthotics made by medical doctors, by sports trainers, and by the Podology Center. All were excellent, none better than the others. Just some more expensive.

Glad to hear that you have had good results there, seems like an option for people.

You mentioned they are 'highly qualified', what are their high qualifications?

I think you agree that when working on diabetic feet in particular, knowing their training is important.

The German schooling for a degree in Podology is a five-year intensive study. That is JUST studying about the care and treatment of foot problems, not spreading the studies to include the ENTIRE human anatomy and physiology. I'm in full agreement with you that someone with very specific needs should get very specific care. When "I" have a specific need, I usually ask if I can get the specific results I require. Solves a lot of problems for me BEFORE they occur. I made that mistake once at Chiang Mai Ram, where the Ortho surgeon wanted to fuse my spine telling me it was the ONLY way to deal with my back pain. Fortunately a Sports Physiologist gave me a couple of exercises to do that relieved the pain in a matter of just a few weeks WITHOUT surgery. 'Sometimes' an MD degree Is NOT what is needed. Sometimes it is.... It pays to ask.

Just what I need. 3000b is that including medical examination etc.?

tanawat-clinic

tanawat-clinic

It has been a while. He did look at it and I told him what was wrong with it and the opinion of three other doctors so we ignored that part. He did not really need to examine it for the problem was a known one. Neuropathy. I was just looking for custom made insoles. He took the impressions and sent them away. He is how ever a qualified Orthopedic Doctor. Had there been any thing else wrong he was qualified to work on it.

The appointment was in his office and I can not remember the details on the money other than 3,000 baht which I think included the visit not sure on that. It has been several years and the price may have gone up.

Edit

I just remembered I had to give him the shoes so they could put them in and make sure that part was good. If any one goes there remember to have an extra pair to wear home.

Edited by northernjohn

Do you mean that you can't use your insoles in ALL of your shoes? Just the one pair so you have to get several different sets so you don't have to wear the same shoes every day? WOW! That must get a expensive!

No I mean that they were made specifically to fit that pair.

Not every shoe has the exact same size and bumps in it.

I tried to call the Podology Center and got a recording even though it was during their business hours. the recording gave me an emergency number to call which I did and got an answer with noise like some one in a bathtub. Then a hang up.

Are you saying yours are generic fit any shoe?

I've used custom orthotics for decades and they have typically lasted over 10-15 years with daily use. I normally own a couple of pair and move them from shoe to shoe without any problem.

The one caveat is that they do take up quite a bit of space in the shoe, so I have to buy put the orthotics in when purchasing shoes to be sure everything fits my foot.

In the USA I've purchased them at a specializing pharmacy that does everything from orthotics to prosthetic limbs. They seem to know what to do.

I've used custom orthotics for decades and they have typically lasted over 10-15 years with daily use. I normally own a couple of pair and move them from shoe to shoe without any problem.

The one caveat is that they do take up quite a bit of space in the shoe, so I have to buy put the orthotics in when purchasing shoes to be sure everything fits my foot.

In the USA I've purchased them at a specializing pharmacy that does everything from orthotics to prosthetic limbs. They seem to know what to do.

You are quite right. You need to buy the shoes to fit the inserts. I on the other hand need mine for a shorter term as one foot is constantly changing due to other problems and about three years is the Maximum for me.

Do you mean that you can't use your insoles in ALL of your shoes? Just the one pair so you have to get several different sets so you don't have to wear the same shoes every day? WOW! That must get a expensive!

I tried to call the Podology Center and got a recording even though it was during their business hours. the recording gave me an emergency number to call which I did and got an answer with noise like some one in a bathtub. Then a hang up.

I've worn orthotics since 1975. My first two pair were made for me by a Chiropractor. The next set that I had made were made by a Sports Physiologist. All of these would fit any of my shoes, although the Sports Physiologist 'strongly suggested' that I not use them in my Teva sandals... He recommended lace-up brogans for any time not playing sports, for the support they offer to the arch of the foot. I put them into my Tevas anyway, and he just groaned when he'd see them. All of these would fit any shoe and lasted years. In fact, I still have the ones made by the Physiologist, and they are good as new despite being 20 years old. Then I had a single pair made by a German "ShoeMeister," which is a custom shoemaker. Those were the only ones I had that had to be used with a specific pair of shoes, and frankly, I didn't care for either the orthotics nor the shoes! I had one pair made by an Orthopedic physician that 'sort of' worked OK, but not great. Then I had a pair made by a Sports outfit in Japan, which were 3/4 size, made for running shoes. I still use those today inside my Fencing shoes. And I have two pair that were made by the Podology Center.

Here is a very interesting point... The Chiropractor, Sports Physiologist, and the Podology Center actually MEASURED the LENGTH of my LEGS!. Turns out, one is 1/8" shorter than the other, (who knew?) and in order to correctly align the pelvis with the spine, (should be at 90°s, right?) they each built up one of the orthotics to correct the difference. I couldn't feel that tiny little 1/8", but correcting it really could be felt! What a difference! I've since learned that if you have NOT been MEASURED for leg length, you 'may' NOT be wearing the most effective orthotics for your needs.

The methodology for making them differed. Some had me step into a foam tray, creating a negative impression. Others had me stand on a pressure plate that created a computer image. Others had me walk across the room, and in the middle, walk onto and off of a pressure plate with my natural stride that created an inked image. The three better ones measured my legs from top of my hips to the floor, measured my stride, and measured the angle of my leg to my ankle. Oddly enough, the Othopedic physician did no measuring at all.

Something to consider, too, is that over time, your needs change. Orthotics are 'corrective' devices. Once they make their correction (over time,) they are no longer as effective and should be changed or removed, depending on need.

I always remove the manufacturer's 'footbed' when I try on shoes, and put my orthotics in instead. Some pairs that I've had took up a lot of room, while other's took up almost none. I never wear shoes or sandal without them, except at the beach.

I've worn orthotics since 1975. My first two pair were made for me by a Chiropractor. The next set that I had made were made by a Sports Physiologist. All of these would fit any of my shoes, although the Sports Physiologist 'strongly suggested' that I not use them in my Teva sandals... He recommended lace-up brogans for any time not playing sports, for the support they offer to the arch of the foot. I put them into my Tevas anyway, and he just groaned when he'd see them. All of these would fit any shoe and lasted years. In fact, I still have the ones made by the Physiologist, and they are good as new despite being 20 years old. Then I had a single pair made by a German "ShoeMeister," which is a custom shoemaker. Those were the only ones I had that had to be used with a specific pair of shoes, and frankly, I didn't care for either the orthotics nor the shoes! I had one pair made by an Orthopedic physician that 'sort of' worked OK, but not great. Then I had a pair made by a Sports outfit in Japan, which were 3/4 size, made for running shoes. I still use those today inside my Fencing shoes. And I have two pair that were made by the Podology Center.

Here is a very interesting point... The Chiropractor, Sports Physiologist, and the Podology Center actually MEASURED the LENGTH of my LEGS!. Turns out, one is 1/8" shorter than the other, (who knew?) and in order to correctly align the pelvis with the spine, (should be at 90°s, right?) they each built up one of the orthotics to correct the difference. I couldn't feel that tiny little 1/8", but correcting it really could be felt! What a difference! I've since learned that if you have NOT been MEASURED for leg length, you 'may' NOT be wearing the most effective orthotics for your needs.

The methodology for making them differed. Some had me step into a foam tray, creating a negative impression. Others had me stand on a pressure plate that created a computer image. Others had me walk across the room, and in the middle, walk onto and off of a pressure plate with my natural stride that created an inked image. The three better ones measured my legs from top of my hips to the floor, measured my stride, and measured the angle of my leg to my ankle. Oddly enough, the Othopedic physician did no measuring at all.

Something to consider, too, is that over time, your needs change. Orthotics are 'corrective' devices. Once they make their correction (over time,) they are no longer as effective and should be changed or removed, depending on need.

I always remove the manufacturer's 'footbed' when I try on shoes, and put my orthotics in instead. Some pairs that I've had took up a lot of room, while other's took up almost none. I never wear shoes or sandal without them, except at the beach.

Wow a lot of pairs that last for ever. I believe that every one has different length in their legs at least that is what I have heard. When I initially had my first pair they used the stride across the room and hit the pressure plate. Because of the accident I had to then get work boots made.

Interesting you talking about your feet changing. I was just talking to an old friend back home and he had to see a foot doctor recently in Vancouver B. C. and the doctor told him as you age the shape of your foot will change. Myself I now wear Sandals. They are very good ones made in Germany. They can be resoled and have a new heal also they come with inserts that are replaceable. I have had them for ten years now. Because of the ongoing change in my one foot I now could do with a new pair. I don't wear them to correct a problem I wear them to be as conferrable as I can be from the neuropathy.

By the way I tried calling that clinic again and got a recording the emergency number is useless. They do say to make an appointment you have to do it personally. Their web site shows a map of how to get there.

By the way I tried calling that clinic again and got a recording the emergency number is useless. They do say to make an appointment you have to do it personally. Their web site shows a map of how to get there.

The founder of the clinic is Dirk Weeber, along with his Thai partner. Both are certified Podologists. However, Dirk has been having severe health problems lately, due to advance stages of Cancer. He has been in and out of the hospital over this past year, and it's possible that he's back under intensive care. This may be a reason for the clinic's number not working. His Thai partner has been covering both the Bangkok clinic and the one here, trying to take care of patient load.

Edited by FolkGuitar

The founder of the clinic is Dirk Weeber, along with his Thai partner. Both are certified Podologists. However, Dirk has been having severe health problems lately, due to advance stages of Cancer. He has been in and out of the hospital over this past year, and it's possible that he's back under intensive care. This may be a reason for the clinic's number not working. His Thai partner has been covering both the Bangkok clinic and the one here, trying to take care of patient load.

The phone number works fine. It is just that you can not leave a call back number. At any rate I doubt he could help me. Just wanted to see what he had to say. Maybe he knows something Doctors don't.

tanawat-clinic

It has been a while. He did look at it and I told him what was wrong with it and the opinion of three other doctors so we ignored that part. He did not really need to examine it for the problem was a known one. Neuropathy. I was just looking for custom made insoles. He took the impressions and sent them away. He is how ever a qualified Orthopedic Doctor. Had there been any thing else wrong he was qualified to work on it.

The appointment was in his office and I can not remember the details on the money other than 3,000 baht which I think included the visit not sure on that. It has been several years and the price may have gone up.

Edit

I just remembered I had to give him the shoes so they could put them in and make sure that part was good. If any one goes there remember to have an extra pair to wear home.

Is this what you are referring to...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mortonsneuroma/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I am suffering from the same condition. However, at the moment it is very mild and I am able to control it with local ice treatment.

Edited by rawhod

tanawat-clinic

Edit

Is this what you are referring to...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mortonsneuroma/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I am suffering from the same condition. However, at the moment it is very mild and I am able to control it with local ice treatment.

No it is completely different the whole foot is affected to various degrees. It can develop to the point where the feet have to be cut off. Try some Vitamin B12 It is good for the Nerves. I take it in large quantities 5,000 MCGs I think that is 500 MGs Have to order by mail best taken under the tounge as it does not do well in the digestive tract.

Or as I mentioned in my first post there is a doctor who specializes in feet. He is not a podiatrist.

• 3 weeks later...

tanawat-clinic

I visited Dr Tanawat's clinic and impressed with his care. The orthotic materials and the foam impression molds were the same as used in the USA when I purchased there. 3k baht for the inserts + 300 for the doctor visit. Only downside is a 3 week wait for the finished orthotics.

Thanks to all for the good advice!

tanawat-clinic

I visited Dr Tanawat's clinic and impressed with his care. The orthotic materials and the foam impression molds were the same as used in the USA when I purchased there. 3k baht for the inserts + 300 for the doctor visit. Only downside is a 3 week wait for the finished orthotics.

Thanks to all for the good advice!

Thanks for bringing us up to date. Ya the three weeks was a stretch.

A year or two back, I had a pair of custom orthotic insoles made by (well, actually fitted by) a podiatry specialist MD at Bangkok Hospital in BKK. The total cost for the orthotics and fitting was about 7000b.

FWIW, the pair he prescribed never were very effective or comfortable for my feet even after the normal break-in period. And, more to the point, I found that the same orthotic, at least in my case, produced very different feelings for my feet in the various pairs/styles of shoes I own.

I don't mean the orthotic physically fit differently in different shoes, which of course have different styles, manufacturers, etc. It physically fit OK in all my shoes. But, in some pairs, it helped a little with my plantar fasciatis problem. But in other shoes, it didn't help at all and was actually uncomfortable to walk in for extended periods. I have no idea why.

In the end, for plantar fasciatis, I found -- through a lot of trial and error -- a brand of orthotic insoles sold via Amazon in the U.S. for $25 to $30 a pair called Powerstep Pinnacle that absolutely solved my foot problems, and I can use the same orthotic insole pair in most all of my shoes and they all feel fine and leave my feet without pain. If you read the hundreds of user/buyer reviews on Amazon for that brand, you'll see what I'm talking about -- at least for plantar fasciatis.

Reason I mention it is -- my experience with the Thai hospital podiatrist produced orthotic insoles was a regrettable waste of 7000b that I wish I had back.