PM Prayuth to decide on tough new penalties for foreigners who overstay

Jonathan Fairfield

I wouldn't want to be sitting in a cell waiting for an Embassy to pay for the flight home

--------------------------------------

In most cases the embassy won't pay.

You will, although in some cases the embassy will simply help YOU get the money from YOUR bank in your home country to Thailand.

Or they will arrange for your relatives in your home country to send money to Thailand to pay your way home.

Neither the U.S. or U.K. embassy will pay your way home.

That ended years ago.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA is same... 10 years ban and it s easy to be banned.

so guys, if you don't like Thai rules, you are welcome to go home. nobody force you to stay in Thailand or apply as a refugee or be 50 years old and get retirement visa.

Tbthailand will be along in a minute to say the US government are extreme right wing fascists then,

Bet no ones called Barrack a fascist before !

....and all Thais in the US and Europe who are not 100% legally there, will be deported (hundreds of thousands?!) . ha ha ha, just kidding.

I'm in the minority here, but I think Thai heavies in Bkk should ease up, rather than ratchet up the rules. Those who are legal, can sit back and think; 'ha, I'm ok, but screw everyone who's having tough times.'

The Immigration Bureau’s mantra: “Good Guys In, Bad Guys Out” They don't know it, but a lot of the 'good guys' will be out. I know few farang, but half of them are fed up with Thailand. They want to retire here, but the rules are becoming more draconian and are compelling them to split. These are guys with good pensions, harming no one, just going to the ATM every day or two and spending lots of outside money in Thailand. Most of those sorts of guys will probably stay, but many are leaving. Possibly tens of thousands.

Overstaying a visa is a pretty minor thing compared to overthrowing a government. Just sayin....

My vote for 'quote of the day'!

Immigration Chaengwattana already makes foreigners sign a declaration that they accept that they be banned from 1 to 10years for overstaying 90days+. I signed one two weeks ago.

All, or at least most, immigrations offices have had people sign that form ... it seems like it's been going on for more than a year. And many immigrations offices or entry points have a sign posted saying the same thing and it's certainly been discussed ad nauseam here at TV. There's really no excuse for anyone to say he thought it would be OK to remain in the country past his permission stay.

Of course there may be a very small number of people who find themselves legitimately unable to travel, but the vast majority who overstay are just careless or do it intentionally for no good reason other than their feeling of entitlement to do whatever they please. As is often true, those who abuse the rules make it that much more difficult for everyone.

Everyone keeps saying this.. But I know for a fact its not that simple..

Yes if you are actually in a private western type hospital, they can usually arrange a medical extension (often only a few days) while your an inpatient.. However they cant help when discharged and immigration doesnt give a shit about any 'doctors notes' I know I had one..

I recently broke some bones.. operations.. plates pins and the usual.. I was discharged but was in no fit state to travel. At that point immigration would accept nothing. Despite me being in agony, with rods and pins sticking out of me.. I should just get on the bus and head to the border (I doubt any airline would have let me fly in that state) to walk across the friendship bridge on a broken leg ??

The only time you seem to be able to get a medical extension is while as an inpatient at the hospital.. There are times you are unable to travel but are not also an inpatient.

I have seen the same with a patient who had a multi day hospital stay.. get discharged and the next day come to immigration with all his pospital paperwork asking for just a 7 day extension.. No go to the border pay your fine.. No discussion, simply officer discretion not given.

Those constantly saying how easy it is.. maybe should try it some time..

"... immigration doesnt give a shit about any 'doctors notes' I know I had one.. "

And most overstayers don't give a sh_t about the rules, but they start crying foul or racism or dictatorship when told to obey the law. Thailand is hardly alone in becoming stricter about its immigration laws and in most cases, for good reason.

Simply having a "note" from some random doctor doesn't meet the requirements for a medical extension.

Neither does a formal statement from Chaing Mais top private hospital where the orthopedic surgeon says your unfit for travel.. along with multiple broken limbs with pins and metal frames sticking out of them.

So not as easy to get as people keep making out.

From the article:
"For an offender who is arrested for overstaying their visa:

• Overstay of less than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for five years."

So if you over stay by ONE day on your visa because you missed a bus, for example, and then you got randomly checked by a cop on the way to the border then you'd be facing being banned from Thailand for FIVE years. That could happen to ANYONE quite easily.

Surely they'd be better off focusing on doing other things, such as dealing with corruption, pollution, traffic congestion, over population, a proper sewer and drainage system, properly paved footpaths cleared of selfish clutter, ridding the streets of stray dogs, criminals infesting the tourist areas, a fair court system, a proper system of enforcing road rules and safety, etc...etc...etc... the list could go on, and on, and on..!

But I spent time learning the language, I'm nice to everyone, and it's not my fault I'm poor!!!!

Well, let me get all my belonging together......(10 seconds later)......done

All I want to do is be a vegan, live peacefully, and live off 100 baht a day!!!

maybe i'll renounce my citizenship and seek asylum!!

I think the overstay fine should be increased to 1000 Baht per day with a maximum fine of Baht 100,000 (100 days) and anything over 100 days should be prison and the banning from Thailand for up to 5 years.

To many stipulations. If you want to be tough then say: ANY FOREIGNER WHO OVERSTAYS MORE THAN 90 DAYS, IN A CALENDER YEAR, IN THE KINGDOM WILL BE BANNED FOREVER!

Why not just cut off a toe for each day overstayed? Then fingers. Then ears. If you overstay a year, you get your nose cut off and a tattoo on your forehead saying, "OVERSTAYER IN THAILAND" A red hot poker up the butt is probably too stiff a penalty, but maybe not, for the hard-core establshmentarianists among us.

...is that tough enough?

Hmmm there are a number of reasons a person over stay's in a country and not all are simply people trying one on.

So in case of illness or accident as often happens and still have the 20,000 baht fine, now they want to have a bigger crack,

Welcome too LOS..............

I my self just forgot my 90 day check in, normally on the calendar but this time no'p, paid the fine all good,

"Forgot" is not a good enough excuse mate, however they should be lenient on genuine mistakes with just a fine. The "long termers" are the ones to crucify as they know what they are doing.

There are reasons that people overstay- some involving illness, missed travel connects etc. I would hope Thailand continues to be liberal in its Immigration policy. I would hate to see someone banned for any period that has a family and they have to be separated. Yes, the West has long bans for overstays.This has caused huge problems for mostly the poor who cannot afford the Visa fees. Do we really want Thailand to become like the US, UK or Australia I , for one, am tired of the argument that something has to be done to bring Thailand in line with the West. Overstay is a victim less situation. Keep the current rules in place, They work just fine and please stop trying to get Thailand to behave like the country you left.

According to Thai Officialdom:

Overstayers = BAD

Murderers on Ko Tao (who are Thai and never had an issue with overstaying) = MAI PEN RAI.

.....same for a Thai rapist at Krabi. Even after admitting he raped a young farang, he was let out of jail the next day, scot free, because he changed his story.

Four pages of people complaining that the rules for OVERSTAY their visa are too harsh.

Seems like a lot of people came here with intention to break the immigration laws.

Wrong. Most of the posts are saying they support the junta in its tougher stance. Even those who are saying the rules are too harsh - are willing and able to be legal.

Those of us in the minority, myself included, support fair-minded laws. Best of all would be near-borderless region, similar to within US or EU, but that couldn't happen in SE Asia for at least 60 years, if ever.

You wanna know why there are border crossing problems in many parts of the world? One word: OVERPOPULATION. All else stems from that.

Whilst sometimes I do miss the "wilder" Thailand of 30 years ago when I first started to come both it and I have matured and grown over the years to a point now where we are both getting comfortable in our positions in life. It called getting older and more mature.

We now no longer need to do the young man actions of cutting corners and bending rules made by old fuddy duddies. We dont need to rebel against a system and make our own rules in order to survive. We are becoming the next generation of staid complacent "old fuddy duddies" and to be honest are ok with that.

If I was in my more carefree young 20's again I wouldnt be going to Thailand anyway. I'd be in Myanmar doing exactly what I did 30 years ago in Thailand today.

The country has moved on and upwards and sadly a lot of the foreign low hangning fruit hasnt. You cant have it both way folks. You can't have the "wild west" of a third world country and the facilities, infrastructure and governance of one bordering on First World.

The country has moved on. If you havent too then maybe it's time to find a new playground to suit your stage or way of life instead of trying to turn back the clock of the one you are in.

Yes sadly the country has moved on, but the governance has moved backwards to a similar situation as Burma. Cross the border and it is like the Thailand of old. If your going to get banned then maybe these bordering countries will be a good choice to enjoy life as it was here 30 years ago and maybe Thailand is doing you a favour. If your tied down with a wife and family, take them with you, they can speak a little English. Asean community we live in now. Open your horizons, don't worry, 10 countries to visit and get a new life living in. Yes we all love Thailand but its quite clear that behind the smile they aren't to keen on us. Anyway, how long will Mr P be running this country? Short term xenaphobia. Cheer up your future is bright, what will be, will be and don't let the big P get you down.

Most of the moaners and groners are the ones exploiting the system

The loss to Thailand of those infringing the rules would be minimal

I believe the rigid enforcement of the rules to be good

In the UK if you file your tax late, you are immediately penalised

If you are visiting the UK on a visa and overstay you will be imprisoned and exported and probably banned for ever from returning

I hope this happens

Why are so many of you foreigners happy that the penalty's for overstaying are harsh? What's it to you? Who gives a rats ass if the guy who's living opposite you doesn't have a valid visa? The only people who should comment on this should be Thai people.. It's their country, not yours.. Get a life! As someone stated earlier. it's a victimless crime, not even the Thai police sees and treats an overstayer as a criminal, so why do you? Who the hell do you think you are!?

Edited by SamuiAxe

I think the overstay fine should be increased to 1000 Baht per day with a maximum fine of Baht 100,000 (100 days) and anything over 100 days should be prison and the banning from Thailand for up to 5 years.

You are such a considerate and compassionate person, i once had a flight cancelled from Suvarabumi by one day so left Samui one day late, still had to pay bht500.

Why are so many of you foreigners happy that the penalty's for overstaying are harsh? What's it to you? Who gives a rats ass if the guy who's living opposite you doesn't have a valid visa? The only people who should comment on this should be Thai people.. It's their country, not yours.. Get a life! As someone stated earlier. it's a victimless crime, not even the Thai police sees and treats overstayer as a criminal, so why do you? Who the hell do you think you are!?

Freedom of speech

Most of the moaners and groners are the ones exploiting the system

The loss to Thailand of those infringing the rules would be minimal

I believe the rigid enforcement of the rules to be good

In the UK if you file your tax late, you are immediately penalised

If you are visiting the UK on a visa and overstay you will be imprisoned and exported and probably banned for ever from returning

I hope this happens

Some who play by the rules may be baddies.

Some who have a tough time adhering to the rules may be good guys.

Also, I doubt the Brits have a handle on illegals in their country. I'd venture there are hundreds of thousands. Who knows the numbers? Just by being illegal, makes them off the charts.

I know in the US, there are millions of illegals. Most of them are fine folks. Some are baddies, just like in the general population of legal citizens: most are good, and some are bad.

What the junta in Bkk is doing is criminalizing people who don't need to be criminalized. They're looking more like the Burmese junta (of decades past) with each passing week.

I'm over 49 so I have a relatively easy time with annual visa renewal here in Thailand (though a recent renewal was 10x tougher than the prior 12 years, and nothing changed in my situation). Yet I feel for those under 50 who want to stay in Thailand for more than several weeks, but are now facing being criminalized. They may be in the wwoof program (work exchange at a garden) or volunteering to assist at an orphanage, or assisting with displaced people at a border tent camp, studying Buddhism, etc.

And sure, there are some baddies who slip into Thailand. They could be illegal or legal with the Immigration laws. Some of the most effective baddies are people who dress and smell nice, are well-groomed, rich, charming and full of smiles.

if the new laws will make a difference to the type of people we let into the country then I am in favour we do need to sort out the wheat from the chaff there are far too many undesirables here and they need to be sorted .

Aha! So all who are having a valid visa are good people? And, all who are in overstay are per definition bad people? My god, how narrow sighted can one be?

Edited by SamuiAxe

good overstayers are nothing but trouble for the rest of us who abide by the rules, it's not hard.

Please explain how a person overstaying affects you in any way at all. Total rubbish.

It's quite simple. By overstaying and breaking the law, they tar "all" foreigners with the same brush, making it more likely that other visa restrictions/regulations also get tightened up in the near future rather than loosened.

Tar us with same brush? Most Thai people are barely aware of immigration laws at all and don't care about overstay.

Want to know what tars all foreigners with the same brush, which is a crime that is never enforced? Prostitution. Foriegners frequenting red light areas and walking around with hookers makes all foreigners look bad. All foreigners patronizing prostitutes should be banned for 5 years if they turn themselves in, 10 years if they don't.

We're not talking about "most Thai's" here, we're talking about the xenophobic "powers" that run the country who hate the thought of any foreigner "getting one over on them" in any way, shape or form.

if the new laws will make a difference to the type of people we let into the country then I am in favour we do need to sort out the wheat from the chaff there are far too many undesirables here and they need to be sorted .

Aha! So all who are having a valid visa are good people? And, all who are in overstay are per definition bad people? My god, how narrow sighted can one be?

And I thought I was king of the trolls.

good overstayers are nothing but trouble for the rest of us who abide by the rules, it's not hard.

Please explain how a person overstaying affects you in any way at all. Total rubbish.

It's quite simple. By overstaying and breaking the law, they tar "all" foreigners with the same brush, making it more likely that other visa restrictions/regulations also get tightened up in the near future rather than loosened.

As most are not Western people but Asian people working here i fail to understand.

Then you fail to understand "Thailand" and it's people and how "foreigners" of all types are thought of and treated, some better than others, but still all "foreigners".

Leaving the incessant bickering aside for a moment, does anyone have a vague idea of how long it might take Prayuth to rubber stamp these new rules? And would there be some kind of grace period or do they come into effect immediately?

And before you go accusing me, yes I am an overstayer :-)