Hosting in Thailand but running not by Thais

anyone

One word - bored!

Before was hostneverdie.com, now netdesignhost.com - same problems. Seems they never heard about proper server adjustment, doing everything by default. I had permission problems (they advice to set 777), mail sending problems, DNS issues, logs are full with errors.

Only 1 good thing - its very fast.

Just wondering if some US / EU hosters exists here (like gator), with TH based servers?

P.S. I have WP website only rolleyes.gif

you could try Malaysia or Singapore

Yep, I'd go Singapore personally - Malaysia can have similar problems as TH when it comes to bandwidth out to other countries.

@OP: if you'd like full control over the server (i.e. self administer) just use AWS... Assuming a low traffic website and not much resources required, one of their micro instances will cost you nothing for the first year, and only about $11.50/mth thereafter with 1 year commits.

(its important to be hosted in TH from SEO point of view).

Can you give some more insight into that?

Google has no crawlers based in TH - and country targeting is done via domain name (.co.th) and/or via webmaster tools. Furthermore, google have majorly relaxed that in the last few months as well - just do any search, in English, and select "Thailand Only" results, and you'll see that most aren't Thai anymore.

In order to get the best SEO in TH, you just need to have Thai language content that matches the keywords the users are searching for really... The competition level in everything except real estate is pretty low / pretty easy to trump with just the basics (content, keywords, structure, speed and lack of errors).

With Google's crawlers based primarily out of the US, how are you going to get a good TTFB and overall download speeds (key p1 SEO metrics these days) from a Thai based server?

Edit: Note that this site is a very good example of what I'm saying... no .co.th domain (but I'm sure they set targeting in Webmaster Tools), and hosted out of Singapore on AWS :)

Edited by IMHO

But what if they will apply this bottleneck gateway? (and Singapore will be extremely slow).

AWS SNG have direct backbones to all major ISP's in TH:

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYivZ2+NkrX5XnRQavnASfoLL0RU0hryT49O8PSrpdWK2j+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

Bottom of the map, 4th from the right.

This SEO points not so big, but:

- speed (like your own computer) - better user experience

- GEO location (good for local business presence - maps and so on)

Right, I covered speed already - and why TH hosting is a bad choice. As for geo location - for users, yes, it matters where they are. For websites themselves, you tell Google where you are using Webmaster Tools and/or by using a country level TLD, and you make sure your content does appropriate geo targeting - the IP address of the server doesn't factor, and really can't these days anyway, as better sites are all front-ended by a CDN anyway (with LOTS of IP's and countries associated to the domain).

Edited by IMHO

Yes, AWS seems better solution for me, thank you!

You're welcome smile.png

As you're also focussed on SEO, I'd recommend setting up a cloudfront distribution for your site as well, i.e. something like this:

Cloudfront > Elastic Load Balancer > Single t2.micro instance

You can then study up on how to configure path based CDN caching rules (i.e. cache static resources for at least 90 days, cache dynamic content as appropriate, don't cache things like POST requests etc) - then you'll get a lot more milage out of that micro instance, because it' wont' be seeing anywhere near as much load. Cloudfront and ELB's are pretty cheap...

The other benefit this will give you is when server downtime is required for maintenance - just make an AMI (machine image), deploy another micro instance with that and attach to the load balancer, detach your primary instance, update it, attach it back to the load balancer, and then retire the temporary instance. Zero downtime, and the temporary server only costs you 2 cents per hour while it's up smile.png

Edited by IMHO