Condo as investment -----> rents or appreciation or both?

@trogers -- you forgot about one more 'bubble': The Canadian housing market.

That said, it may not actually be a bubble. Truth is everyone on the planet dreams of living in Canada -- no war, no pollution, no guns, no crime, no corruption, no bad of any sort -- hence the unquenchable demand for real estate, which is in limited supply in the 2 or 3 cities worth living in. The result? Bidding wars for 1.5-million-dollar shit shacks.

The Canadian dollar's a bargain right now!

No jobs, bad weather and flying biting insects (black flies, mozzies, etc.)

That said, it may not actually be a bubble. Truth is everyone on the planet dreams of living in Canada -- no war, no pollution, no guns, no crime, no corruption, no bad of any sort -- hence the unquenchable demand for real estate, which is in limited supply in the 2 or 3 cities worth living in. The result? Bidding wars for 1.5-million-dollar shit shacks.

No jobs, bad weather and flying biting insects (black flies, mozzies, etc.)

The property bubble in Canada is due to money from China that needs laundrying...and values depart from basics...

I doubt that, too cold, too expensive... Same reason why I don't want to live back home in Europe.

Australian housing market is considered by many analysts bubble as well. But I lived there 4 years and can't see it. If you can earn $25/h flipping burgers in Maccas or cleaning apartments. Not to mention the parents/grandparents generation is loaded like hell so even if the young wouldn't manage their older family members would help them out.

I'm bit of real estate junkie - I browse real estate websites to relax. After 7 months in BKK I recognize most condos along Sukhumvit just by picture of the pool.... My opinion is, that I would never buy condo here for any other reason than to get investor visa, ie >10m baht

Anyway what I really don't get here that landlords better have the unit empty for x months than give 5000 baht discount and someone who will move in tomorrow. In the long-term it would still mean more money in their pocket. Like the condo I live now, here must be dozens and dozens empty rooms, every one for the same price and get discount is nearly impossible.

I doubt that, too cold, too expensive... Same reason why I don't want to live back home in Europe.

Australian housing market is considered by many analysts bubble as well. But I lived there 4 years and can't see it. If you can earn $25/h flipping burgers in Maccas or cleaning apartments. Not to mention the parents/grandparents generation is loaded like hell so even if the young wouldn't manage their older family members would help them out.

I'm bit of real estate junkie - I browse real estate websites to relax. After 7 months in BKK I recognize most condos along Sukhumvit just by picture of the pool.... My opinion is, that I would never buy condo here for any other reason than to get investor visa, ie >10m baht

Anyway what I really don't get here that landlords better have the unit empty for x months than give 5000 baht discount and someone who will move in tomorrow. In the long-term it would still mean more money in their pocket. Like the condo I live now, here must be dozens and dozens empty rooms, every one for the same price and get discount is nearly impossible.

Older condos are stickier downwards in both asking rent or price because they were either bought with cash or the mortgages have been discharged.

Newer buildings did see a fall in asking rents, eg. rents of 1-bedroom units in Onnut area fell from Bt15k a few years ago to as low as Bt11k, due to increase in supply.

In my opinion, you are correct. I would only buy either to enjoy/rent as a holiday home or to live in or for rental income. This is not the west where investment for capital increase is great due often to limited alternatives. I would also not buy a new condo in Thailand as they depreciate, like a car, immediately someone moves in.

What are you talking about?

"only buy to either enjoy/rent as a holiday home or to live in of for rental income"......... sounds like you have covered all bases

Don't agree..to many experts in TV who know jack poo, its like anywhere, location location location, in BKK there are a number of areas where you can get a good return, common sense will tell you where they are, also its a bit like anywhere if you don't know the city your buying into you can make mistakes.

It seems true that a place like Pattaya has a glut of condos right now, checking 1 website alone showed up over 800 listings, but prices were always moderate there compared to BKK.

Buying to live in is different than buying to invest in we all have our views.

Right, hint buy where BTS "Will be" but not there yet. Price will increase dramatically.

Yes, DO buy into the location, location, location mantra. Certainly other factors such as price, builder reputation, building condition, building age, maintenance fees, building amenities, floor level, number of units sold/unsold, etc. are very important, too, but start with location.