After Assault, Opposition Lawmakers Taken to Bangkok Hospital

geovalin

Sok Khemara, VOA Khmer

A day after their brutal assault by organized protesters, two lawmakers for the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party are being treated in a Bangkok hospital.

Both men were attacked outside the National Assembly building on Monday, pulled from their cars by groups of masked men and beaten, following anti-opposition demonstrations outside the building that morning.

Each spoke to VOA Khmer from the hospital, where they are being treated for serious injuries.

Lawmaker Nhay Chamroeun said he was attacked by an organized group of men wearing red scarves. He suffered a broken nose, broken teeth and broken cheekbone in the attack. “I cannot speak in a clear voice,” he said.

E9E99F31-B78C-4F23-B38A-156D655518D6_w64
Cambodian opposition​ CNRP lawmaker Nhay Chamroeun is seen in a wheelchair at Phyathai hospital in Bangkok on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 after being beaten by protesters in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on Monday. (Courtesy of Nhay Chamroeun)

“We cannot leave this issue, such brutal acts that violate the immunity of members of parliament and individual rights,” he said. “We must take legal action. I regret that the human rights in Cambodia has declined so critically, and I can’t accept it.”

Lawmaker Kong Saphea said the attack on him appeared politically motivated but that would not deter him. “I see no personal issues” related to the attack, he said, adding that the Rescue Party and ruling Cambodian People’s Party should discuss the attack and its implications.

6550ED41-FD2D-40B4-9BC5-4E19C0746440_w64

Cambodian opposition​ CNRP lawmaker Kong Saphea is seen in a wheelchair at Phyathai hospital in Bangkok on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 after being beaten by protesters in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on Monday. (Courtesy of Nhay Chamroeun)

“Our parliamentarians have always suffered under the circumstances of the disrespect of human rights and restrictions on their expression as it stipulated in the constitution,” he said. “I would like to send a message to all the leaders to respect human rights, to lead the country by ideals and wisdom. Don’t use violence to lead the country, which discredits the nation and lowers the national image.”

He urged younger Cambodians not to be intimidated by the attacks. “I wish to stress to the nationalists and compatriots that although I’m hurt in my physical body,” he said, “my heart and my ideals will absolutely not be hurt.”

source: http://www.voacambodia.com/content/after-assault-opposition-lawmakers-taken-to-bangkok-hospital/3024780.html

Assault on Cambodian opposition lawmakers leads to call for investigations

Victims of the attacks and witnesses said the assailants were either police or military personnel.

By Elizabeth Shim

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia, Oct. 27 (UPI) -- Assaults against two Cambodian lawmakers by an angry mob on Monday has led to condemnations and a request from Human Rights Watch for an investigation.

The attacks took place outside the National Assembly in Phnom Penh by protesters critical of the opposition party's deputy leader, Kem Sokha, Radio Free Asia reported.

But the protests turned violent when more than 1,000 pro-ruling party demonstrators circled the parliament building and pulled in two opposition lawmakers, Kong Sophea and Nhay Chamreoun.

Kong Sophea said protesters dragged him from his car and then proceeded to punch and kick him, causing injuries to his nose, head and waist.

"Demonstrators walked toward my car, and when my driver slowed down, they dragged me out and attacked me," he said, adding that the attackers were police or military personnel, who stole his wallet, $300 in cash, cellphone and bank card. Kong Sophea said traffic police did not intervene as the crime took place.

Nhay Chamreoun was beaten unconscious and suffered injuries to his arm, jaw and nose.

Human Rights Watch condemned the attacks and said the government of Hun Sen should invite the United Nations human rights office to investigate the attacks.

According to the NGO, witnesses had said members of the prime minister's Bodyguard Unit Headquarters were participants, and they had showed up in civilian dress. They had arrived on their distinctive red Bodyguard motorcycles, and other witnesses said members of the Phnom Penh Municipal police, including regular and para-police were present.

Human Rights Watch said ruling party-supported vigilantes have worked in civilian attire since January 2014 and have dogged opposition parliamentarians since Kem Sokha said Hun Sen's ruling Cambodian People's Party would lose the next national election in 2018.

A CPP spokesman told RFA that the party did not organize the protesters.

"The demonstrators held a nonviolent demonstration, but the opportunists provoked a chaotic situation," he said.

source: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2015/10/27/Assault-on-Cambodian-opposition-lawmakers-leads-to-call-for-investigations/3611445964587/

‘World watching’ inquiry
Wed, 28 October 2015

The Ministry of Interior yesterday said it would establish a special commission to investigate the brutal attacks against two opposition lawmakers outside the National Assembly on Monday, a probe the party suggested should have no excuse for failure amid “clear video evidence” of the perpetrators’ identities.

“The whole world is watching,” said Cambodia National Rescue Party spokesman Yim Sovann yesterday, noting that security camera footage from both the National Assembly and nearby Australian Embassy captured the assailants on film before they masked their faces ahead of the attacks.

“We can see their faces clearly, we know what groups they came from and we know who they were with,” Sovann said. “[The government] claims this is a country of justice, peace, the rule of law, so they must act, especially the Interior Ministry”.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national

Analysis: Attacks may be ‘tip of the iceberg’
Wed, 28 October 2015

The brutal assault this week on two opposition lawmakers outside the National Assembly could mark a resurgence of violence and overt oppression from the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, as it reverts to “old politics” in efforts to ensure victory in the 2018 election, according to observers.

Cambodia National Rescue Party parliamentarians Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten on Monday morning during a demonstration against the party’s deputy leader, Kem Sokha.

The CPP has denied any involvement in organising the protest – which was attended by its members and publicly anticipated by Prime Minister Hun Sen just hours earlier – but few are convinced.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/analysis-attacks-may-be-tip-iceberg