Being broke/cheap/thrifty/- economizing on water

Craig krup

Get a water filter filtered to your tap or a second kitchen tap with a water filter, can buy water jugs with filter system, Thai water is fine, there is no need to buy bottle water for home use.

I would say that Thai water is OK when it comes straight out of the tap.

In my building the water goes first into a concrete holding tank below ground, and is then pumped up to another holding tank on the roof. Neither tank is particularly clean.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the water vending machines are OK if (and it's a big if) they are serviced regularly and correctly. Most people in Thailand would agree that maintenance is not a strong point here, and I am one of them.

So I have now switched to having the big 20l blue water bottles delivered for 40B (50B with tip). All round this seems like the most reliable, simple and cheap option to me.

That is cheap. A certain amount of fannying about with a funnel and bottles to get in the fridge, and (then) an issue with the cleanliness of the bottles, but a definite solution.

You dont need to empty the bottles. You can buy a thing like this:

D0149-4.jpg

I do decant mine into two 1.5lit bottles, one of which stays in the fridge and the other stays by the kettle.

do those come with filters?

Why would you want to filter your bottled water?

Decent delivery services provide a battery powered once.

I think that the water vending machines are OK if (and it's a big if) they are serviced regularly and correctly. Most people in Thailand would agree that maintenance is not a strong point here, and I am one of them.

So I have now switched to having the big 20l blue water bottles delivered for 40B (50B with tip). All round this seems like the most reliable, simple and cheap option to me.

That is cheap. A certain amount of fannying about with a funnel and bottles to get in the fridge, and (then) an issue with the cleanliness of the bottles, but a definite solution.

You dont need to empty the bottles. You can buy a thing like this:

D0149-4.jpg

I do decant mine into two 1.5lit bottles, one of which stays in the fridge and the other stays by the kettle.

do those come with filters?

Why would you want to filter your bottled water?

Decent delivery services provide a battery powered once.

to ensure the filter is clean and changed regularly

the reason i prefer that is because i want to ensure i get clean water

Edited by fey

I don't know how they do it at the price. Our water is delivered in the 20 litre blue bottles for 10 Baht per bottle.

You have to buy the bottles initially, but that was so long ago and I think that it was 80 Baht each.

When you miss the delivery, can get at the local shop for 12 Baht.

1000B/month on drinkwater ?? Tesco/bigc/nestle,....is about 5 to 6 B/l , 45 to 49 B for 6 x 1,5 l or the 6 l bottles = 30 B.

That's about 100 B/month for me. I use the automat water only for cooking = 20 B/month , total 120 B/month on water....

No I'm not scottish.

i drink tap water , cook and clean with tap water and im still here .

Many people with low immune systems who cannot do tap/reverse osmosis water.

I don't drink tap water, but I do everything else with it including cleaning my teeth.

I also use tap water for my tea, it's OK then because it is boiled.

Edited by possum1931

I still recall the sight of an elderly American lady in a German restaurant in Bangkok pouring the remains of her glass of water back into the bottle so she could take it away.

American?? are you sure she wasn't Scottish?

I know of a guy who tried to save on water but at the other end,he would not allow his gf to flush the toilet in other to save water(money)

I do not know if he was cheap/broke or just an idiot.

I bet he even hangs her used toilet rolls out to dry. Really! these Scotsmen.

Edited by possum1931

Get some clear glass bottles. Fill with tap water and use an elastic band tho hold on top about 3 layers of stocking. This prevents debris getting in. It also allows the chlorine gases to dissipate. Leave for approx 5 days and you will see the reside on the bottom of the glass bottle but the water will be very good. The sunshine can do all. You need a few bottles to circulate as you are drinking them. I used to use clear glass flagons. The 4 litre glass wine bottles

OK here is a big money saving tip.

Use the water machines....you will find that a 5l bottle can actually be filled for 4.5 baht.

Fill up 2 bottles for 9 baht, thereby saving 1 baht or almost 10%

Now do not waste this 1 baht coin! Be sure to accumulate these and spend them wisely!

Loiter behind kids filling a number of bottles and grab the bit they (usually) leave in the machine smile.png

1000B/month on drinkwater ?? Tesco/bigc/nestle,....is about 5 to 6 B/l , 45 to 49 B for 6 x 1,5 l or the 6 l bottles = 30 B.

That's about 100 B/month for me. I use the automat water only for cooking = 20 B/month , total 120 B/month on water....

No I'm not scottish.

7-11 is about 15B for 1.5, and that's where a lot of seems to be bought.

We have the water filter- - no idea how much it costs us for water which comes metered from the town before we filter it but I could drink it out of the tap too…

but why worry hte price of water when so many other things are more expensive - - maybe time you should look for a job back home?

I buy 5 litres of water for about 4 baht from the RO/ozone machines, then I boil it and decant when cool into a 5 litre container. That's my drinking water. Brush my teeth and do my dishes in tap water. Salads are washed in the boiled water. Cook vegetables with tap water.

A more expensive option in terms of electricity costs; however, in 6 years here I have never had a stomach bug.

OK here is a big money saving tip.

Use the water machines....you will find that a 5l bottle can actually be filled for 4.5 baht.

Fill up 2 bottles for 9 baht, thereby saving 1 baht or almost 10%

Now do not waste this 1 baht coin! Be sure to accumulate these and spend them wisely!

Loiter behind kids filling a number of bottles and grab the bit they (usually) leave in the machine smile.png

Do you lick up ants from the floor for the protein content as well?

I'm amazed so many expats are apparently either worried about the cost of water or still lugging heavy bottles home from the shops.

Surely this is one of the absolute basics to life here?

Well, there are a number of threads on "Living on hee haw", and I thought it was worth asking. The number of people who i) look as if they have nothing, but ii) pay 15 baht for a bottle of water is amazing. I'll fill a bottle in a food court but loads of people seem happy to pay a third or a half of the cost of their lunch for water.

Get some clear glass bottles. Fill with tap water and use an elastic band tho hold on top about 3 layers of stocking. This prevents debris getting in. It also allows the chlorine gases to dissipate. Leave for approx 5 days and you will see the reside on the bottom of the glass bottle but the water will be very good. The sunshine can do all. You need a few bottles to circulate as you are drinking them. I used to use clear glass flagons. The 4 litre glass wine bottles

A wonderful appreciation of water science - not. Organisms such as giardia and cryptosporidia will still be merrily swimming around in your "good" water. The chlorine will have reacted with organics in the water to form chloramines, which are fully soluble and don't precipitate in the residue. Chloramines are also suspected human carcinogens. Where would you like me to send the flowers?

Watch out, your reference to Scottish, makes this post borderline racist.

<deleted>

I'm writing from first hand experience.

I did think about that but we Scots take enormous pride in the fact that copper wire was invented when two Aberdonians fought over a penny, ho, ho, ho.

Seriously. Germans use the expression "Scottish prices" routinely. We just to take great pride in our Calvinist dourness. There's actually a "Little book of Calvin", full of joys such as, "Aye, we'll be deid soon".

how we English are looking forward to that day.

Has it occurred to you Aussies feel the same way about Poms? Particularly in view of the previous Prime Minister you exported to us.