Travel During Extension Renewal Period.

My marriage extension expires on 26th. November. We did all the paperwork for renewal this week and the extension is now ‘under consideration’ with a return to Khon Kaen Immigration for approval (we hope - don't expect any snags) on Christmas Day. This’ll be the sixth marriage extension.

I’ve been informed today that my mum, 85, has just been admitted to hospital. Nothing life-threatening, although saying that can be a bit risky at 85, but a hip replacement operation might be on the cards so she’ll need some help post-op. I have brothers & sisters to take care of her but I’ve got to take my share of the post-op care & assistance.

I’d imagine that, if I got a re-entry permit and left & returned to Thailand before the 26th. November, there’d be no problem with getting back into the country on the current extension. However, the landing card number advised to Immigration for the extension would obviously change. Likely to be a problem?

Does anybody have experience of returning during the 30 day ‘under consideration’ period? My gut feeling tells me that this could be difficult but might I be wrong?

We get on very well with a senior officer at KK Immigration & I’ll have a word with her but can’t get there for a few days, maybe early next week, and would very much appreciate some pointers to potential problems.

Thanks.

Would it not matter that your arrival card number and the date you re-entered the Kingdom and perhaps the port of entry would differ from the info that was provided on the extension application?

Edited by mxyzptlk

Would it not matter that your arrival card number and the date you re-entered the Kingdom and perhaps the port of entry would differ from the info that was provided on the extension application?

I very much doubt it .

It would be a minor matter easily resolved by providing a copy of the new card.

I very much doubt it .

It would be a minor matter easily resolved by providing a copy of the new card.

Please don't be insulted, but it looks like this is just your opinion and not based on experience.

I've never read any reports of anyone actually doing this.

Perhaps someone who has actually done this can post their experience??

There have been people that have gotten a re-entry permit for the under consideration period and traveled.

As long as the permit to stay date is not changed there is no problem to leave and re-enter the country. The TM6 number is not relevant.

Christmas day is two months away, isn't the consideration period one month?

The under consideration period is normally 30 days, Many offices start the under consideration period at the end of the current permit to stay date. He applied for his extension early is why he has almost 2 months.

• Like 1

Leaving during the "under consideration" period is no problem, as long as you get a re-entry permit and return to Thailand before your "follow-up" date to Immigration.

I do this every year, for 8 extensions now...come in for the application visit, get a new re-entry permit at the same time (either single- or multiple-entry depending) which will be valid until the day of the follow-up visit, leave Thailand for work, and return before the follow-up.

As others have stated, the TM6 number that you used for the application is irrelevant, as your latest entry would be under the new re-entry permit number and new TM6.

Edited by mgjackson69
  • Like 1

When I was under consideration for my current extension, the IO told my missus that I couldn't leave the country during the under consideration period. Don't know if thats true or not...

What I suspect the Immigration Officer told your wife is that you could not leave the country during the under consideration period without obtaining a new re-entry permit.

Get the single rather than the multiple re-entry permit.

I made the mistake of having purchased a multiple re-entry whilst under consideration for a Biz visa, left the country returned and was given the visa at the end of under consideration period and then next time I went outside the country and returned I found out the multiple re-entry permit had been cancelled, as it was issued in conjunction with the under consideration stamp and that had now been approved to be a 1 year visa. Huge oversight on my behalf

• Like 1

You can obtain a re-entry permit for the "under consideration" period but would have to ensure that you return in time to claim the extension of stay. Delay would mean having to start again with a new "O" visa.

Exactly. The other issue is when you return the airline maybe confused what your visa status is and not let you on the plane. Korea Air made me talk to a supervisor and explain the issue to him who was able to read through my extension stamps and my re entry permit and then allowed me to fly but the first two people I encountered were reluctant. Edited by csabo

Christmas day is two months away, isn't the consideration period one month?

The under consideration period is normally 30 days, Many offices start the under consideration period at the end of the current permit to stay date. He applied for his extension early is why he has almost 2 months.

That's the case for Khon Kaen office.

I usually submit papers 3 or 4 weeks in advance of the extension expiry date and the 'under consideration' period has always been 30 days after expiry which unfortunately usually makes my return date 25th. December.

Thanks for all the useful replies, folks. It's a relief to know that travel during 'under consideration' appears to be possible.

Get the single rather than the multiple re-entry permit.

I made the mistake of having purchased a multiple re-entry whilst under consideration for a Biz visa, left the country returned and was given the visa at the end of under consideration period and then next time I went outside the country and returned I found out the multiple re-entry permit had been cancelled, as it was issued in conjunction with the under consideration stamp and that had now been approved to be a 1 year visa. Huge oversight on my behalf

Any re-entry permit is connected to the permission/extension of stay (not a Biz visa) you have when getting the re-entry permit. When the extension is replaced/renewed you'd need to have a new re-entry permit. If you were using a valid multi-entry visa you wouldn't need the extension or a re-entry permit.

"given the visa at the end of under consideration period"

They don't issue visas at the end of under-consideration periods. You get an extension of stay. You need a re-entry permit because you don't have a visa, only an extended permission to stay.

A question please.

Does the Under Consideration time extend the Permission to Stay ?

I ask because I will be able to apply for a new extension only a week before the old one explres. i.e. there will be a 3 week gap between the old extension ending and the new one being approved.

Thank you.

A question please.

Does the Under Consideration time extend the Permission to Stay ?

I ask because I will be able to apply for a new extension only a week before the old one explres. i.e. there will be a 3 week gap between the old extension ending and the new one being approved.

Thank you.

The under consideration stamp allows you to stay until your extension is approved (or disapproved).

My under consideration stamps (8) have all had a date on it 30 days from when my permit to stay ends.

My visa is currently 'under consideration' and I was told that should I need to travel abroad, I would require a re-entry visa. I told the officer that I already had a multiple re-entry visa but apparently, one the visa is under consideration, the existing re-entry visa is cancelled.

My visa is currently 'under consideration' and I was told that should I need to travel abroad, I would require a re-entry visa. I told the officer that I already had a multiple re-entry visa but apparently, one the visa is under consideration, the existing re-entry visa is cancelled.

Your re-entry permit (not a visa) is only valid up to your permit to stay date. Chances are very good that the report back date on the under consideration stamp would be after that date.