Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

webfact

Could someone please clarify how immigration have informed all of those that own property in Hua Hin,the report seems to be flawed after re reading it,does it mean every household in Prachuap province or a few condo owners.

This is all a bit cloak and dagger,I shall wait for the nation wide enforcement of this law before I get to involved.

What's the stance in Pattaya and Bangkok where the numbers of expats is larger still ?

Seems like scaremongering to me,I'm prepared to take a chance up here in Phetchabun after re considering the report.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine what a chaos if everybody would follow and apply this rule.

Makes an even better reason to follow the rule for everyone. I bet 10 baht, that when all foreigners steps up by the local police stations, to register every move they take. It will be so much workload from it, that it cause Mayhem :)

The 'great thing' about Thai's is... they are not 'consistent' or 'persistent'.

Given the bad press regaring the 'bombing' in Bkk, I can see how this 'knee-jerk' reaction is in an effort for more control.

'Small minds' with 'big issues'...best of luck.

ALL RESIDENTS RETURNING TO HUA HIN MUST REPORT TO THE LOCAL IMMIGRATION OFFICE

WITHIN 24hrs OF ARRIVAL

Does this mean that people who live in Hua Hin and are returning from an overseas trip also have to report themselves to the Immigration Office each time they come back from abroad?!?

Of course.

You fill in Form TM-6 (or whatever it is) before you land, report to immigration when you arrive in Hua Hin, 90 days later you report to immigration again. Is that difficult to understand? I mean... God forbid the authorities can't find you. Maybe after all that you will find time to enjoy life.

I am beginning to like the idea of wearing an electronic armband so that the immigration can track us wherever we go. Much more convenient than spending hours in each immigration office.

Or give us a yellow star to wear on our clothes.

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

I am sorry I can only click "like" one time.

This is so true.

I think a lott of people don't know the European (Belgian) system.

If a thai person visits belgium, he/she need to ask first a toerist visum.

It they stay at my home, i have to fill in a document, that i will be financial responsible if the Belgian Gov have to pay something for the THai guests. Think about a hospital bill, or if overstay, the cost for bring them back to thailand. If i don't fill in the paper, they must show the booking for a hotelroom for this period. No proof of booking, no visum.

For the visum, they also need a "travel insurance"

Than they also to proof they have enouch money. If they stay in a hotel, 95 Euro per day, if they stay with me, 45 euro per day.

When they are at my home, i also must go to the office, and inform them these people stay with me for this period. Official explication for do this is "if there is a fire at my house, the fire fighters know how many people are in the house.

It's easy for people to complaine and laugh with the Thai system, but in Europe (Belgium) its the same or worse.

Yes, but you are talking about tourists.

Here is seems to include all "aliens" regardless of whether we are tourists or expats.

Why not go the whole hog and install a fingerprint reader at every home address and hotel & scan visitors prints on arrival at swampy or install a GPS tracker in passports and I'd cards to track everyone. Big brother is watching us.

Why do you think the new section has been added to all the Immigration forms; asking for your mobile phone number....?

Thailand had 23.7 million "visitors/tourists" in 2014 (source TAT)....so let us assume half of these people "moved residence for a period of more than 24 hours" whilst in Thailand on their visit.

That equates to 11,850,000 forms completed by said tourists...and to add to that another ??million forms completed by the "house/home owner" notifying immi of the tourists stay

I now realise why most immi officers are overweight....it must be a long day sitting on ones bottom checking and filing all of these forms

WITHIN 24hrs OF ARRIVAL

This is dreadful news. I have no doubts this will be extended nationwide at sometime.

My happiness levels for living in Thailand is wearing thin.

Why,are you a home owner?

Chiang Rai here.

I was at immigration last week and I was told I could not leave until my wife registered my address at a different office. I have been here 11 years married, have kids and my wife owns her house.

I asked what would happen if my wife did not comply and I was told I would be taken to jail as I would not be correctly registered. I had never heard of this and thought she was just in a bad mood because of the 10 Chinese that happened to be in front of me so I called my wife and she was able to do it very quickly.

However she was told that if I went anywhere else in Thailand I needed to go to the office first to tell them. I'm going to go back tomorrow and talk to them about this to see what I really need to do.

Also there was an American lady there who could not get anything done in the Chiang Rai office because the computer said she was registered in Chiang Mai. She was told she needed to go to Chiang Mai Immigration. However she claims she was now staying in Chiang Rai. I have no idea how that turned out.

Anyway this is not just a Hua Hin thing.

Oh I also have a yellow house book and was willing to show this, however the lady did not care and did not want to see it.

I'm just guessing someone from above is pushing for all the rules on the books to be followed just to cover their butts if something goes wrong. Once I complied with everything the lady went from super bitch to the normal very friendly Thai person Thais are known around the world to be. I really think she is being forced to do this. I doubt however the police would have really taken me to jail, as far as I can tell only the house owner, my wife can get fined. But I was not going to push it, I don't care. I have no problem with the Thai Government knowing where I live since they know already!

Edit: Just asked my wife about this again. She also said she had to pay 800 Baht. She also says I need to tell the office when I leave and when I come back. This seems to be on me, not her. Anyway I'm going to the office tomorrow and will ask exactly what I need to do. I travel often so this could really be a pain in the ass.

Edited by ChaangNoi

<sigh> Thailand. "Land of the Free." Free of what, exactly?

(Can't wait for the foolishness to really kick-in, and they actually start throwing perplexed foreigners into the slammer. The foreign press will have a field day.)

Edited by hawker9000

What if you rent a home and a foreigner stays with you for a visit?

The owner would probably not even be aware that you have a guest!

Are you obligated to inform the owner so they can inform immigration?

How long before you are obligated to report changing your underwear too?

The article states and I quote

Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

HUA HIN:-- Immigration officials in Hua Hin have today issued a warning to homeowners about the requirement to report any foreigners who might be staying at their property.Failure to supply Immigration with details of foreign guests will result in the owner of the property being subjected to penalties and fines.

Then the management company puts out a flyer and I quote again

Dear Residents

Re: Immigration Notification

This morning, we have been informed by Hua Hin Immigration Office that

WITHIN 24hrs OF ARRIVAL

We are led to believe that anyone not following the new regulations will be subject to penalties and fines.

Please also note that any owners who are renting their properties either long- or short-term - have a legal obligation to inform their tenants of the same.

Where did it say in the article guests must go to immigration in 24 hrs!!!!only on the flyer from the management company I belive the article itself makes it quite clear it is the home owners responsibility to report Alien guests.

The management company has decided they are immigration now and give out false statements.

Like most immigration issues, I think it depends on the office you report to and how they interpret the laws and rules.

Example:

I will be moving into a new home next month.

After all I read here on TV, I am willing to follow the rules about changing my address as soon as i relocate.

I did my 90 day report last week and informed the officers (2 ) at my office that I would be moving soon and asked for confirmation about what documents and forms I needed to submit when I relocate.

I was told by the information officer to talk to the officer I would see for my 90 day report about it..

The officer I did my 90 day with just smiled ( almost laughed ) and told me, " Do not worry about it, you don't need any forms. Just tell me your new address the next time you do a 90 day report, or when you file for your next extension if that comes first."

As I stated above, where you report and the officers you deal with seem to make a huge difference.

Tonight I am happy not to live in Hau Hin.

Last year, or maybe the year before, my wife was required to fill out the form when I went for extension O-A. I had read and told her about it, she still didn't have a clue. It's on file and they didn't ask again. I probably should check to make sure the receipt is in my new passport. I may pay the price, but I'll be damned if everytime I go out of town, I often do, I report to the local police where I go or report when I return or have my wife re-report me. My guess is this is aimed at those of us that the government has made pretty plain aren't welcome, ahem can you say farangs and expats.

Will the time soon be upon us where we report to immigration after returning from 711?

As mentioned earlier in the thread you give immigration your address details on the arrival form, surely any requirement after this is if you then move location (for more than 24 hours).

No, no, don't worry, it will only apply if you go to Family Mart.

Is this being done so they can keep track of people entering and leaving ?

Or more for the reason i think that they are trying to catch out landlords not paying taxes on rented out property.

Then they can fine them for not notifying about someone staying in a property and then they can find out how much the tennant is paying to stay and if the owner is paying tax on this.

The immigration act was written in 1979. !

Is that a typo it should have read 1479.

<sigh> Thailand. "Land of the Free." Free of what, exactly?

(Can't wait for the foolishness to really kick-in, and they actually start throwing perplexed foreigners into the slammer. The foreign press will have a field day.)

If your so worried you better leave now.Foreign press couldn't give to hoots about perplexed farangs in the slam.

Do you think like people like me who have a yellow book have to go also?

It's entirely your choice.

Actually I had the whole package, yellow book too, but I tired of being treated like a second class shoe shine boy, kow towing to ridiculous people with a chest full of ribbons tghat they bought in the local flea market. I have 2 campaign medals that I actually earned, but I don't wear them to work.

I'm living in a rental here, visa obtained with no hassle, work permit with minimal fuss. Industrious staff working for me, 90% of who speak English. I've never been more happy or content and never find myself fretting about missing 3 month reporting etc.

But, as I always say, one man's meat.....

Why not go the whole hog and install a fingerprint reader at every home address and hotel & scan visitors prints on arrival at swampy or install a GPS tracker in passports and I'd cards to track everyone. Big brother is watching us.

No need to go the whole hog,they probably have your phone number cos you gave it to them.