Intensive Language Training

Howard

I am planning on going to BKK for a month to do intensive language training. Does anyone know of suitable courses/training schemes in BKK? ANd what they cost?

Thanks, Howard

c'mon you guys...this is serious. I'd like to find a suitable course that would get me up to reasonable conversational fluency within 2-3 months or so. Presuming that one would have to pay for himself, which is the cheapest and most effective...how about Berlitz? They seem OK with English and European languages but expensive.

Is there a registry of qualified tutors that are available to hire by the hour?

What about up country?

(I want to be able to insult people in thai...ain't got no legitimacy otherwise...)

Check out Chulongkorn University at http://www.chula.ac.th/cuweb_en/international/index.html

They have an intensive full-immersion Thai language certificate program. There are 2 sessions each year, broken down into segments. Each segment is 8-10 weeks long and you do not have to take the complete program. By far one of the better language programs offered. :o

Thanks to those that offered useful information. I must say I was surprised that so few users of this forum seem to have had any experience of Thai language courses (judging by the limited responses).

My past experience has shown that intensive language training can be very effective in getting up to speed in a short time. The Chulongkorn course referred to sounds like a promising solution.

I am planning on coming over for a month some time in the not too distant future specifically for language training. So will check out that one.

Oh, and to the suggestion about a bar girl - thanks for the thought but my Thai wife may not appreciate that!