GISTDA says Hua Hin oil slicks came from Mae Klong and Tha Chine estuaries

webfact

GISTDA says oil slicks came from Mae Klong and Tha Chine estuaries

1236-wpcf_728x409.jpg

HUA HIN: -- Oil slicks which were swept into Hua Hin beaches in the past few days came from fishing boats at the estuaries of Mae Klong and Tha Chine rivers about 100 kilometres away from the seaside resort town, according to Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA).

GISTDA director Anond Snidvongs na Ayudhya said today (Thursday) that satellite images from Thailand Earth Observation Satellite show oil slicks moving slowing from Mae Klong and Tha Chine estuaries toward Hua Hin beaches which will take between 2-3 days to cover the 100 kilometre distance.

Because the satellite images are not of high definition quality, it cannot be determined which vessels there were responsible for discharging oil into the sea causing oil slicks, admitted Mr Anond.

He assured that the slicks did not come from oil rigs in the sea.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gistda-says-oil-slicks-came-from-mae-klong-and-tha-chine-estuaries

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-30

You can't walk on the beach in Hua Hin. Tar is everywhere. It gets on the bottom of your feet and it is almost impossible to remove.

The tar is being tracked up the side streets away from the beach and is getting on everything.

I had to wear a old pair of shoes just to walk on the sand. And the bottoms are covered in tar.

The beach is ruined. :(

The amount of oil alreeady arrived on the beach and the forecast for more to come suggests a very large vessel and more than just the reisidual bunker fuel that finds its way to the bildge over time.

Where are the Merchant Mariners on this forum?

Wouldn't this likely indicate a boat that has discharged a large quantity of bunker fuel to either perform a repair, or a spill during refueling or even a tank rupture ?

There is now a SIGNIFICANT HEALTH HAZARD laying in wait on the beaches (and in the water) near Hua Hin. It will be there for a good several months in spite of what the local authorities will tell us.

The hell of it is there is MORE oil on the way and they are doing nothing to contain it BEFORE it hits the beaches!

Notice just how easy, it's deflected..."He assured that the slicks did not come from oil rigs in the sea." Believe that and you pass the test for being a certified gullible member of society. Never is the government to blame.

This is not crude oil and its certainly reasonable to make it clear the platforms are not the source right up front before people start making accusations.

All the Bullshit talk,,, they can do Lab tests from the spill,,,, Than they can compare that to the ships/rigs in the suspected area and fine the culprits,,,that's what they do in Australia,,,, works every time,,,,, thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

The discharge/spill happened several days ago and has likely left the area.

Your suggestion makes more sense if witnesses were to provide the name of a suspected ship but to just stsrt collecting samples from every fishing vessel is costly with minimal chance of success.

Edited by ClutchClark

The amount of oil alreeady arrived on the beach and the forecast for more to come suggests a very large vessel and more than just the reisidual bunker fuel that finds its way to the bildge over time.

Wouldn't this likely indicate a boat that has discharged a large quantity of bunker fuel to either perform a repair, or a spill during refueling or even a tank rupture ?

I have already posted as an ex merchant seaman and engine room rating.

I said it was heavy fuel oil from the start, could be a bunkering spill or a discharge from a large vessels bilge.

Bilge water is separate from ballast water, bilge water can be pumped into holding tanks and discharged in port to be treated.

Ballast water has to be discharged well out at sea so as to not contaminate native sea life in harbour, thats why Auckland harbour is full of star fish that have ruined the harbour floor.

Heavy fuel oil has to be heated before it can be used in the engines it also leaks over time into the bilge.

With todays junk heaps running around the world with dubious flaggs and crews they will do anything to save money.

This is a catastrophy for Hua Hin, the Kings beach will be an oil slick, a failire on behalf of Maritime authorities to control the slick with booms and to aprehend the perpetrators.

A failure of not introducing severe penalties for discharging bilge or Ballast in port.

While a spill is an accident compensation and clean up money should be sought.

Discharge deliberately is an act of international maritime vandalism.

I bet the King is not to happy about this.

I have already posted as an ex merchant seaman and engine room rating.

I said it was heavy fuel oil from the start, could be a bunkering spill or a discharge from a large vessels bilge.

Bilge water is separate from ballast water, bilge water can be pumped into holding tanks and discharged in port to be treated.

Ballast water has to be discharged well out at sea so as to not contaminate native sea life in harbour, thats why Auckland harbour is full of star fish that have ruined the harbour floor.

Heavy fuel oil has to be heated before it can be used in the engines it also leaks over time into the bilge.

With todays junk heaps running around the world with dubious flaggs and crews they will do anything to save money.

This is a catastrophy for Hua Hin, the Kings beach will be an oil slick, a failire on behalf of Maritime authorities to control the slick with booms and to aprehend the perpetrators.

A failure of not introducing severe penalties for discharging bilge or Ballast in port.

While a spill is an accident compensation and clean up money should be sought.

Discharge deliberately is an act of international maritime vandalism.

I bet the King is not to happy about this.

Yep. I identified it as bunker oil in the first post on the subject.

I have read all your posts but I am just saying that as news is reported of the magnitude of this spill being as large as it is then it starts to narrow down the search for the responsible vessel.

This spill is from a large vessel, not some 40 meter fishing boat.

Edited by ClutchClark

We used to have Oily bilge water tanks don the big ships that we pumped the bilge water too when in port. At sea we pumped that overboard via an OWS (Oily Water Separater) American ships are very strict on this.

So - maybe they had a bilge tank that got full and they just pumped it over for whatever reason..

Or an oil leak into the bilge and just pumped it out .

Could have been bunkering and ruptured a hose.

This tar-like oil is looks like Bunker C used on steamships.

Although I suspect any oil would coagulate like that.

Vessels are supposed to keep records of all their bilge and oil pumping operations and changes in tank levels.

When I lived in Koh Phangan we would periodically get very small amounts on the beach and yes - it doesn't wash off your feet so easily. Lots of taxi boats there with dirty bilges...

We used to have Oily bilge water tanks don the big ships that we pumped the bilge water too when in port. At sea we pumped that overboard via an OWS (Oily Water Separater) American ships are very strict on this.

So - maybe they had a bilge tank that got full and they just pumped it over for whatever reason..

Or an oil leak into the bilge and just pumped it out .

Could have been bunkering and ruptured a hose.

This tar-like oil is looks like Bunker C used on steamships.

Although I suspect any oil would coagulate like that.

Vessels are supposed to keep records of all their bilge and oil pumping operations and changes in tank levels.

When I lived in Koh Phangan we would periodically get very small amounts on the beach and yes - it doesn't wash off your feet so easily. Lots of taxi boats there with dirty bilges...

Its very expensive to pump oily bilge water ashore.

All the Bullshit talk,,, they can do Lab tests from the spill,,,, Than they can compare that to the ships/rigs in the suspected area and fine the culprits,,,that's what they do in Australia,,,, works every time,,,,, thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

You are dreaming This is too easy The Thais are not up to this Just finger pointed and jump to conclusions which is what they do