Thai driving licence rules change hits overseas travellers

Krataiboy

My family and I are planning a UK holiday in June, 2017. I am unable to drive, but my wife volunteered to learn so we could hire a car for sightseeing during our visit. Today, she passed her test at the second try. My understanding was that she would be issued with a one year licence after which she could apply for a five year licence, and, having got it, the international driving licence we would need to hire a car in the UK.

But on scrutinising the new licence I discovered it was for TWO years, not one. On checking with the Thai licensing authority, my wife was told that the qualifying period had been changed last month (my timing always was awful) and there was no way she could get round the two-year qualifying period for a five year licence. So we are stuck with either putting back our holiday a year or trying to get round by public transport. Yeah!!

I find it astonishing that the qualification for a full licence could be doubled overnight with, so far as I can tell, almost nobody being aware that this was going to happen.

I don't suppose anybody knows a get-round that we can use, but I thought that the least I could do is pass on our experience as a warning to others who may be in the same boat.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed the news.

Many posts about the change which took place from Monday, 23 March 2015 (not last month).

I made a new motorcycle license in July and its valid for two years.

I was the only in the group (all others were Thai) who knew about the change tongue.png

Yes, you are unlucky,

As far as I remember the first TV poster after the change who fell into this trap (no international DL based on temporary Thai DL).

Another limitation of the temporary DL is, that you are not allowed to drive the car abroad (Laos, Malaysia...).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797838-first-thai-driving-licence/page-2#entry9547742

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/836010-a-2-year-first-drivers-licence-a-mistake-or-luck/page-2

Thanks for the input, everybody. I have now discovered that my wife confused the date of the introduction of the new two-year licence (which was indeed in March) with the introduction of the 90 per cent pass mark for the written test.

Must have missed the publicity at the time the new two-year rule came in - probably because our plan for my wife to drive a hire car in the UK wasn't hatched until last month. Ah, well. . .

Sorry to hijack a little . I am due to renew my 5 year license.

Dropped by a shop to see if they could " assist " without me having to waste time .

Was asked if I wanted another 5 or a life ?

To my knowledge, life license has been stopped.

Can anyone confirm?

It could be a blessing in disguise in the OP's case. Driving in the UK is a LOT different to driving in Thailand where traffic lights, speed limits and the Highway code is LAW not just a suggestion and with cameras everywhere, very few "indiscretions" go unpunished with penalties that would give the average Thai used to 200 baht fines a heart attack.

Plenty of time Krataiboy. Contact the car rental companies via email/internet and advise them that your are looking to rent a car (bla bla) and your wife has a new 2 year Thai licence - ask if that is OK. If/when you get anwers back from then via email you then know if a serious issue or not. Some UK rental companies want an IDP or a full 5 years Thai DL - but whatever their answer get it in writing before you make the booking. Then 6 months ahead of your trip contact again and confirm their previous email advice - and then make a booking - do not not pay up front as they may still decide to reject the Thai 2yr DL when you go to pickup the car (and they will keep 20-30%). Then I guess 'Plan B' becomes to try and find someone willing to take your money, when you are there.

It could be a blessing in disguise in the OP's case. Driving in the UK is a LOT different to driving in Thailand where traffic lights, speed limits and the Highway code is LAW not just a suggestion and with cameras everywhere, very few "indiscretions" go unpunished with penalties that would give the average Thai used to 200 baht fines a heart attack.

This is spot on and good advice. (well, some of the Highway Code refers to the law, it isn't actually law in itself). Licensing issues aside, the OP's wife is a new and inexperienced driver only used to Thai style driving where just about anything goes and other drivers are very tolerant. It is highly likely that were she to drive in this style (the only style she knows) in the uk she would quickly become a victim of road rage.

I speak as a retired Approved Driving Instructor (24 years) and the holder of a RoSPA Gold Standard Advanced test. I have driven in Thailand in central Bangkok, (including Victory Monument) on inter provincial highways and in small (completely flooded) rural villages. (and 13 other countries).

OP If at some time in the future (perhaps when wifey gets her 5 yr licence) you follow the plan I would strongly suggest that before picking up the hire car she goes out for a few hours with a Driving Instructor. Preferably one who offers refresher courses for returning expats etc.

I would also suggest that during the months leading up to the visit she read and learn the uk Highway code, available online here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code

I hired a rental car from Enterprise at Gatwick this September 2015 using just a one year Thai driving licence. I was told one does not need a international permit as my details on the Thai driving licence are in English.

I hate to be negative but do you really think someone who is only recently licenced

to drive in Thailand is qualified to drive in the UK. For me licenced to drive and qualified

to drive are two different things. Kind of like I just got my MBA and now I can run

General Electric etc...... You would be putting her in a very difficult situation.

Obviously pay the full coverage insurance. whistling.gif

By the way my sister, (48 years) old is taking driving lessons now in hope of getting her

license (Canada) She is planning a trip to France where she plans to rent a car.

I feel she will be in the same position. Licenced to drive yes, qualified to drive in France. facepalm.gif

A Thai driving licence is accepted by rental companies in the UK providing you show return ticket to Thailand. Cgeck Enterprise UK etc

Not when the Thai licence is only valid for 2 years, It clearly states Temporary on the licence. I tried this and was refused by four car hire companies in the UK inJuly this year.

I hired a rental car from Enterprise at Gatwick this September 2015 using just a one year Thai driving licence. I was told one does not need a international permit as my details on the Thai driving licence are in English.

I should add I was pulled by the police on my last night, I seen leaving a pub and breathalysed. As I had one pint I was well under, but the police did inspect my one year temporary licence, and the only comment was he had never seen one before. I would like another poster suggested contact the hire company, give them the facts, and get written assurance that all will be well when one arrives in the UK to pick up said rental car.

not to mention what seems like 1000's of roundabouts!! My Thai wife has been driving in UK for a year now and still has trouble with roundabouts, though by the standard of driving over here now seems everyone has problems with roundabouts as I often see people ignoring give way to traffic from right and flying straight onto the roundabout.....

Convincing a car hire company to let her have a car is the least of her worries.

You need to make sure her temporary Thai DL is even legal in the Uk. Otherwise she could be convicted of unlicensed driving and even worse refused insurance if involved in an accident.

Is it worth the risk?

I hate to be negative but do you really think someone who is only recently licenced

to drive in Thailand is qualified to drive in the UK. For me licenced to drive and qualified

to drive are two different things. Kind of like I just got my MBA and now I can run

General Electric etc...... You would be putting her in a very difficult situation.

Obviously pay the full coverage insurance. whistling.gif

By the way my sister, (48 years) old is taking driving lessons now in hope of getting her

license (Canada) She is planning a trip to France where she plans to rent a car.

I feel she will be in the same position. Licenced to drive yes, qualified to drive in France. facepalm.gif

Gee, I don't know about your concern. I believe every person is legally able to drive in the issuing country when they get their driver's license. Additionally, as long as the country in which they are driving recognizes the license, no matter which country issued it, they are legally able to drive.

Therefore, it would be prudent to conclude the licensing authorities of all countries must also believe the recipients of new, but recognized, licenses are physically able to drive as well.

I think a new driver may have a better chance of driving without accident in a country whose drivers are more aware of the laws and where the laws are indeed enforced.

Dropped by a shop to see if they could " assist " without me having to waste time .

Can anyone confirm?

There's no license for lifetime anymore. You have to go there in person anyway, to do the eye- and reactiontests. Anything else is a scam, better to drive with no license then with a forged one.

Can anyone confirm?

There's no license for lifetime anymore. You have to go there in person anyway, to do the eye- and reactiontests. Anything else is a scam, better to drive with no license then with a forged one.

My wife got he DL back in 2006. It was for and still is for life. A few weeks after she received her DL both car and bike, for life it was stopped. She is grandfathered in.

I haven't read all the posts so maybe this has already been mentioned.

Somebody suggested a UK Provisional License. (You say you are 'unable to drive', but perhaps you have a driving license?)

However to obtain a provisional license I'm pretty sure you wife will need to have a National Insurance number.

As you say you are going to visit the UK it suggests your wife probably doesn't have an N.I. number.

You don't need an international licence for U.K.Check UK.Gov for more info.

I think her Thai licence will be ok.Driving will be less stress to.

Good luck

"Less stress?" LOL. Maybe if you live in BKK. Up country in the south of Phetchabun I do 120 km a day on the school run. Quiet roads. Longer trips, easy dual carriageway to BKK until Saraburi. No problems and generally quiet roads going to Phitsanulok Immigration, or friends in KK. Five years since last in the UK, and the traffic can only have got worse. Speeds a lot slower in Thailand. Good luck to the wife.

A Thai driving licence is accepted by rental companies in the UK providing you show return ticket to Thailand. Cgeck Enterprise UK etc

Not when the Thai licence is only valid for 2 years, It clearly states Temporary on the licence. I tried this and was refused by four car hire companies in the UK inJuly this year.

If you read the terms and conditions for car hire in the UK you will find that they all require a licence has been held for 12 months.

In your case you hadn't held that licence for 12 months.

Some require IDP with licences not in English.

Some require proof of address as well.

Only basic Insurance is standard.

Options are available at a cost.

I've just hired a car from Budget in the UK for April next year.

20 days car hire (Fiesta) £312.

To cover against all costs of damage or injury, including no excess, is another £11.50 per day.

Archived