Thai driving licence rules change hits overseas travellers

Krataiboy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hijack a little . I am due to renew my 5 year license.

Dropped by a shop to see if they could " assist " without me having to waste time .

Was asked if I wanted another 5 or a life ?

To my knowledge, life license has been stopped.

Can anyone confirm?

There's no license for lifetime anymore. You have to go there in person anyway, to do the eye- and reactiontests. Anything else is a scam, better to drive with no license then with a forged one.

Correct. Any "license" acquired from the "shop" will indubitably raise the "fine" imposed by any Thai "traffic cop" that asks to see it.

You don't need an international licence for U.K.Check UK.Gov for more info.

I think her Thai licence will be ok.Driving will be less stress to.

Good luck

Driving on the M!1 is less stressful - you have either a very good sense of humour, or a very poor memory my Friend!blink.png

To cover against all costs of damage or injury, including no excess, is another £11.50 per day.

I'm pretty sure that cover provided by car hire company's covers injury to third parties, my travel insurance covers any injury to me. I've always got CDW covered as standard though the excess is in the region of £1,000, I buy a stand alone excess cover which costs a tad under £40 a year.

Sorry to hijack a little . I am due to renew my 5 year license.

Dropped by a shop to see if they could " assist " without me having to waste time .

Was asked if I wanted another 5 or a life ?

To my knowledge, life license has been stopped.

Can anyone confirm?

There's no license for lifetime anymore. You have to go there in person anyway, to do the eye- and reactiontests. Anything else is a scam, better to drive with no license then with a forged one.

I suspect that what you mean is that they are not issued any more, they are still in use by the people that have them. My wife has one and it gets checked by the police quite regularly.

My Wife just got her license in January, and it was for one year, so I was surprised it was changed to 2 years recently as well. Our understanding of this license is that it is equal to a Learner's License. So technically, she requires a driver with a Valid Drivers License to be with her when she drives. Or as we were told anyway. Having said that, we have been stopped by the police and her license and insurance checked a few times, and they never requested from her if I had a valid license so she could drive. So I am not sure this is the law or not.

I do know I have rented a car in many airports and never needed an International License. I always got a car and insurance with no problem at all, with just my Drivers License. An International License is nice to have but it is not needed if you are going to be in a country and drive their for less than 90 days. I highly doubt they will refuse her and if you have a Drivers License, then she would be within the law anyway. I also doubt anyone can tell if her license is a Learner License or not.

Just don't speed and give them a reason to stop you. If you wife drives like mine does, you have a greater chance of getting a ticket for driving too slow then you do for a speeding ticket. ,

I hate to be negative but do you really think someone who is only recently licenced

to drive in Thailand is qualified to drive in the UK. For me licenced to drive and qualified

to drive are two different things. Kind of like I just got my MBA and now I can run

General Electric etc...... You would be putting her in a very difficult situation.

Obviously pay the full coverage insurance. whistling.gif

By the way my sister, (48 years) old is taking driving lessons now in hope of getting her

license (Canada) She is planning a trip to France where she plans to rent a car.

I feel she will be in the same position. Licenced to drive yes, qualified to drive in France. facepalm.gif

I could understand this if his wife was starting a new job as a Taxi Driver in London, but otherwise I don't see a problem here. If they stick to the Highway this is as easy as driving gets. By-pass the big cities and if you need to go to city center then rent a motel room or hotel outside of the city center and take a taxi into town.

If a few days in London is on your agenda there is always ways around this. Return the car to the rental company and pick it up when you are ready to leave again. Out in the country, I see no problem for them at all. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive in London, Amsterdam, Bangkok, or Cairo City Centers myself. Just to name a few.

I drove a hire car at home in the Uk last year for the first time in 26 years (I drive every day here) and found it easier than driving here as everybody adheres to the rules/highway code. I'm glad I spent time revising the highway code. Hardest part for me was sticking to speed limits (driving seemed slower at home).

I think your wife will be fine if she is used to driving here before she goes and knows the the highway code.

Good luck (ps. I was very happy with Enterprise).

He already had his 2 yr, he was talking about the 5 yr.

You don't need an international licence for U.K.Check UK.Gov for more info.

I think her Thai licence will be ok.Driving will be less stress to.

Good luck

The UK car hire company I always use when I go back told me that a Thai driving licence is not acceptable when hiring a car in the UK.

Edit - well, not with them, anyway, but he was looking at the DVLA website when he told me no, so I suspect it may well be any hire company -but then again, maybe not

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

Edited by Mister Fixit

Just look at how the average person drives in Thailand, frankly it's amazing that any Thais are allowed to drive overseas.

See my other post on this - the car hire company I have used for years in the UK tell me that they won't accept a Thai driving licence, with or without an IDP.

Other companies may well do so, but I'd be calling and checking with them first, well before I left Thailand.

Further edit - look here - https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

It looks like the Thai licence would be valid, so perhaps my company have their own rules and policies. Personally, I wouldn't let a Thai with a Thai licence rent any of my cars if I had a hire company.

Edited by Mister Fixit

Just look at how the average person drives in Thailand, frankly it's amazing that any Thais are allowed to drive overseas.

See my other post on this - the car hire company I have used for years in the UK tell me that they won't accept a Thai driving licence, with or without an IDP.

Other companies may well do so, but I'd be calling and checking with them first, well before I left Thailand.

It looks like the Thai licence would be valid, so perhaps my company have their own rules and policies. Personally, I wouldn't let a Thai with a Thai licence rent any of my cars if I had a hire company.

Show me a link to any UK car company that doesn't accept the Thai drivers license for car rental, please! Forget it, there isn't one.

Show me a link to any UK car company that doesn't accept the Thai drivers license for car rental, please! Forget it, there isn't one.

I think you'll find there is - have a word with Mark, the manager here - http://www.terminuscarandvanhire.co.uk/

It may be OK in theory, but if a company refuses to hire on another country's licence, then that's their prerogative.

Edited by Mister Fixit

I think you'll find there is - have a word with Mark, the manager here - http://www.terminuscarandvanhire.co.uk/

It may be OK in theory, but if a company refuses to hire on another country's licence, then that's their prerogative.

I'm sorry, I thought we were taking about UK based car hire companies, as in the major companies, Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Enterprise etc, not small one off privates. I know that Sid down the street is known to rent out his van from time to time but his license requirements are somewhat unique, don't you think!

To cover against all costs of damage or injury, including no excess, is another £11.50 per day.

I'm pretty sure that cover provided by car hire company's covers injury to third parties, my travel insurance covers any injury to me. I've always got CDW covered as standard though the excess is in the region of £1,000, I buy a stand alone excess cover which costs a tad under £40 a year.

I believe that we both use Questor...... excellent excess cover at a very cheap price.

I believe that we both use Questor...... excellent excess cover at a very cheap price.

• 2 weeks later...

I should add I was pulled by the police on my last night, I seen leaving a pub and breathalysed. As I had one pint I was well under, but the police did inspect my one year temporary licence, and the only comment was he had never seen one before. I would like another poster suggested contact the hire company, give them the facts, and get written assurance that all will be well when one arrives in the UK to pick up said rental car.

If you read the official YouGov site it states that a Thais license must be valid for at least one year on arrival. There is no such thing as a Thai IDP. Have been using a 5 year Thai license for a number of years in the UK and never had a problem when hiring a car.

I should add I was pulled by the police on my last night, I seen leaving a pub and breathalysed. As I had one pint I was well under, but the police did inspect my one year temporary licence, and the only comment was he had never seen one before. I would like another poster suggested contact the hire company, give them the facts, and get written assurance that all will be well when one arrives in the UK to pick up said rental car.

If you read the official YouGov site it states that a Thais license must be valid for at least one year on arrival. There is no such thing as a Thai IDP. Have been using a 5 year Thai license for a number of years in the UK and never had a problem when hiring a car.

Oh yes there is a Thai IDP and is valid on a 5 year Thai DL for only 1 year only. I have had them. Since the Thai DL 5 year is a smart card and is in Thai and English and a magnetic strip on the back with all your information it is now accepted on face value with out an IDP BUT Thailand still issue the IDP for 500 baht if you request.

Oh yes there is a Thai IDP and is valid on a 5 year Thai DL for only 1 year only. I have had them. Since the Thai DL 5 year is a smart card and is in Thai and English and a magnetic strip on the back with all your information it is now accepted on face value with out an IDP BUT Thailand still issue the IDP for 500 baht if you request.

What are you talking about? Some years ago I enquired about a Thai IDP and was informed it didn't exist and there was no need for one because the Thai licence is valid for use in the UK and Europe. That can be corroborated if you care to check on the government website which states valid for up to 1 year providing it has a least one year of validity on arrival.

Why you would want to pay 500 baht when in possession of a valid Thai licence is not clear.

What are you talking about? Some years ago I enquired about a Thai IDP and was informed it didn't exist and there was no need for one because the Thai licence is valid for use in the UK and Europe. That can be corroborated if you care to check on the government website which states valid for up to 1 year providing it has a least one year of validity on arrival.

Why you would want to pay 500 baht when in possession of a valid Thai licence is not clear.

All LTD's do not operate the same. Just because the one you went to said not, does not mean that other won't say yes. Some countries will not recognize a Thai license with out IDP and even some states in the US are that way. 500 baht is what the LTD charges

It does exist, but you are looking from a narrow minded point of view. My wife would not be able to drive in the UK without a Thai IDP. She has the old style Thai licence which are valid for life.

If your wife's life long license is paper. She can go to the DLT and get a brand new plastic photo card licence with lifetime validity without any sort of tests and very cheaply too.

There is an old saying, " if its not broken, don't try and fix it". I wouldn't want her driving in the UK anyway so there is no need.

Just found out that my 10 year UK plastic card driving licence has totally expired 2011, even though on my paper licence it says it is valid and I am entitled to drive in the UK until 2030.
So which is it nowadays??? I did a test that validated me until 2030, now it seems, that since the introduction of the card system, that those dates are now totally meaningless. Is this really the case these days????
I put my details into the DVLA website and no record is found. What is the UK coming to ???

I intend to go home for Christmas and borrow / rent a car friend in the car trade. last time i did this 4 years ago he just registered me on the company block insurance as one of his drivers , and away to go. But now this may not seem possible in view of my situation.

I have a valid Thai 5 year licence and am wondering if I could get a Thai International licence to take to the UK in order to drive around for the couple of weeks I will be there . If so, where do I get an international licence in Thailand before I go to the UK???

Any ideas anyone ?

Just found out that my 10 year UK plastic card driving licence has totally expired 2011, even though on my paper licence it says it is valid and I am entitled to drive in the UK until 2030.

So which is it nowadays??? I did a test that validated me until 2030, now it seems, that since the introduction of the card system, that those dates are now totally meaningless. Is this really the case these days????

I put my details into the DVLA website and no record is found. What is the UK coming to ???

It is not the licence that has expired it is the photo, they have to be replaced every 10 years. I don't know if there is any time limit on photo expiry but it would be worth sending it in with a new photo and see what they say, of course that would need to done from a UK address. They have discontinued the paper part of the licence so you no longer need that but should check up on procedures.

The DVLA website can be problematic, I had difficulty last time I tried. Can't quite remember what the problem was, may have been the licence issue number.

Ok Guys I have discovered today that if you go to the online appn page and say you are replacing a lost or stolen or just renewing your photo, along with using a known address ( i my case my mother's as my new address and my old marital address where my original licence was registered, you can do a appln online, If you click on a box and say you have no photo ID you can also then give your Passport details and use the photo supplied as on your passoport, I got as far as paying with Visa and now verification checks will be made and hopefully now I should receive a new licence at my Mother 's address within 2 weeks , in time for me on my arrival at Xmas( fingers crossed ) Cost 14 quid .

I intend to go home for Christmas and borrow / rent a car friend in the car trade. last time i did this 4 years ago he just registered me on the company block insurance as one of his drivers , and away to go. But now this may not seem possible in view of my situation.

I have a valid Thai 5 year licence and am wondering if I could get a Thai International licence to take to the UK in order to drive around for the couple of weeks I will be there . If so, where do I get an international licence in Thailand before I go to the UK???

Any ideas anyone ?

You can legally drive on a 5 year Thai license in the UK and you don't need an "international license" or anything other than that. I have rented with Avis several times this year no problems at all.