End of Era with tourist visa?

So since it seems that Thailand is moving to become more strict with the double entry tourist visa process. How will people who stay here on long term tourist visa make it now? Do you think maybe people will have to go to Vietnam for a month or 2? Do you think this is just all talk and then back to business? Do you think us farang (with out the other visas ) will have to find some other loop hole. Or is it still a wait and see situation?

Future will tell. My uniformed guess will be that you will be able to do back to back METV at the consulates that currently do double and triple tv. So business as usual. Relax

Sure not.

The foreign ministry website as well as all embassy/consulate websites where the METV surfaced confirm that the METV will only be available in your country of residence.

Just today a thread about Cambodia:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/866652-thai-embassy-website-metv-requirements-starting-13th-nov-2015/

Cambodia is last week news, and since Washington has announced accepting non-residents

Future will tell. My uniformed guess will be that you will be able to do back to back METV at the consulates that currently do double and triple tv. So business as usual. Relax

Sure not.

The foreign ministry website as well as all embassy/consulate websites where the METV surfaced confirm that the METV will only be available in your country of residence.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/866652-thai-embassy-website-metv-requirements-starting-13th-nov-2015/

Cambodia is last week news, and since Washington has announced accepting non-residents

And so has Canberra.

Sure not.

The MFA website has no info on it other than the first press release.

The embassy website in the US just requires you provide a copy of a valid visa.

Most of the countries that have posted the requirements were only doing visas for citizens and residents of the countries where they are located before the METV.. Others were only doing single entry visas before the METV so no real change at them.

Sure not.

THAT is a misrepresentation of fact .........

This is what is stated.

"7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa"

I do not believe those using serial tourist visas will be obtaining US visas to secure another Thai tourist visa !

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

They accept non-residents despite what Ministry says and thats what counts.

It shows that as per usual each consulate decides what they like.

Sure not.

THAT is a misrepresentation of fact .........

This is what is stated.

"7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa"

I do not believe those using serial tourist visas will be obtaining US visas to secure another Thai tourist visa !

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

There might be people visiting the US that would want to apply for a visa. The US issues 10 year visitor visas,

Many would not need a visa because they get a visa waiver which I am sure would be accepted by the embassy.

• Like 1

aneliane
Clearly you are better informed than most
Where.is the link to "what the Ministry says" ?

No.... I just focus on information rather than trying to troll people that's all. coffee1.gif

I am referring to the official announcement, surely you spend 24/7 on this forum, I am not going to offend you by posting the same announcement we all seen dozens of times.

• Like 1

Blind Freddy can see that after the introduction of METV nothing much changes. Will suit some more than current double and triple. I fly in out los every few weeks would suit me perfect. Don't then need reentry permit. For many others they will just obtain the new METV when required at consulates nearby. What's the fuss.

I am waiting to see two things:

• What happens in Laos. Will the METV be available there for non residents? Will double entry toutist visa be scrapped?
  • Whether they work out a reasonable scheme for frequent visitors like 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off oil workers.

if in lao they say only lao people can apply what you gonna do ?[/quote

Loas will issue them. Vientiane for example. If they do not I will drop my dacks

You are posting your assumption that Laos will offer the METV on multiple threads and while I hope you're right no one knows anything about what Laos will do

• Like 2

whistling.gif I am able to qualify for a retirement visa/extension anyhow.

But I could also do a METV if I wished.

I am a U .S. citizen, so no problem getting a METV in the states.

I have the funds to show to stay in Thailand, I currently live in Thailand, and can show a contract with a place of residence monthly in Thailand. I pay for my apartment in Thailand monthly and can show receipts proving that

I get a monthly pension paid to me in my Thai bank account monthly and I can show I have funds to live in Thailand for 6 months easily with no problem

If I wished to I could easily qualify to stay the 6 cold months of snow and ice in my U.S. home area in Thailand on a tourist METV visa.

In fact, if the Thais looked at it carefully I am exactly the kind of "quality tourist" they should be trying to attract with their 6 month multi entry tourist visa.

6 months every year in Thailand, and 6 months back in the U.S. in the summer......I could happily do that.

If they would just see the opportunity a 6 month tourist multi entry visa is just the thing for me, as well as a nice profit maker for Thai immigration.

All they would have to do is to market it to the right group and they can have a good money maker.

All Thai immigration has to do is think about it clearly and see the METV as the profitable money maker it could be if marketed properly.

Just make it available to the "six month annual tourist" who want to live in Thailand and escape he cold winter in the U.S. and Europe. by making it available in Thailand with some restriction on funds and of course not allowing the METV holder to work in Thailand.

Am it he only one who sees this?

I am not a marketing genius, but I can smell the opportunity here.

Wake up, Thai immigration, and see what a fantastic opportunity you could have here.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

if in lao they say only lao people can apply what you gonna do ?[/quote

Loas will issue them. Vientiane for example. If they do not I will drop my dacks

You are posting your assumption that Laos will offer the METV on multiple threads and while I hope you're right no one knows anything about what Laos will do

In all posts I have stated exactly what you just stated. Such as ......cannot be 100% sure......'......imo......etc .

Side bets welcome

but how do you reconcile your uninformed guess with the fact that METV can only be obtained in your home country?

but how do you reconcile your uninformed guess with the fact that METV can only be obtained in your home country?

Not true regarding some countries, as posted by other members

I have the funds to show to stay in Thailand, I currently live in Thailand, and can show a contract with a place of residence monthly in Thailand. I pay for my apartment in Thailand monthly and can show receipts proving that

I get a monthly pension paid to me in my Thai bank account monthly and I can show I have funds to live in Thailand for 6 months easily with no problem

If I wished to I could easily qualify to stay the 6 cold months of snow and ice in my U.S. home area in Thailand on a tourist METV visa.

In fact, if the Thais looked at it carefully I am exactly the kind of "quality tourist" they should be trying to attract with their 6 month multi entry tourist visa.

6 months every year in Thailand, and 6 months back in the U.S. in the summer......I could happily do that.

If they would just see the opportunity a 6 month tourist multi entry visa is just the thing for me, as well as a nice profit maker for Thai immigration.

All they would have to do is to market it to the right group and they can have a good money maker.

All Thai immigration has to do is think about it clearly and see the METV as the profitable money maker it could be if marketed properly.

Just make it available to the "six month annual tourist" who want to live in Thailand and escape he cold winter in the U.S. and Europe. by making it available in Thailand with some restriction on funds and of course not allowing the METV holder to work in Thailand.

Wake up, Thai immigration, and see what a fantastic opportunity you could have here.

NO you could not get a METV

just from the bold they would turn u down for a new METV

ur NOT a tourist ( you state ur living in Thailand) so why would they give u a tourist visa?

are u employed in the states?

Can u provide air tickets into an out of the states?

Tourist do not;

have bank accounts in the country they are visiting

do not have homes/apts there

do not have driving licenses

are not employed their

etc etc.

Incorrect. One example .....if I was in USA with a visa I will be able to obtain an METV .

My thinking in many posts that this will be available in some thai consulates. Yes just an opinion.

NO you could not get a METV

just from the bold they would turn u down for a new METV

ur NOT a tourist ( you state ur living in Thailand) so why would they give u a tourist visa?

are u employed in the states?

Can u provide air tickets into an out of the states?

Tourist do not;

have bank accounts in the country they are visiting

do not have homes/apts there

do not have driving licenses

are not employed their

etc etc.

You are wrong on that, people visiting for the first time will not have all you have stated but did you know and actually as bizzare as it seems that people spend 6 months in their own country and 6 months here? And they do this every year on a Double entry Tourist Visa? That they actually rent houses or buy Condos and even have the cheek to buy a car?

These people are classed as tourists even if they never venture out of the Thai Town they reside in

Anyone who does this will able to get a METV from their own country every year

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 1

It is not the end of Tourist Visas as such. If you are a genuine tourist which the OP has confirmed he is not, you can obtain a single entry tourist visa from your home country Thai consulate.

This is more an end of an era for illegitimate tourists. Should have been in place years ago to stop visa runs.

• Like 1

Geezus except for the people that have obtained residence status or citizenship (very few) .....we are all tourists. I suggest that the main criteria to be a tourist is that your not working and abide by other conditions. Where exactly in thai immigration act does it state how long you can remain in los as a tourist. Where is stated limits to back to back tv

• Like 2