T & T

mijan24

1stly this is not a troll nor an attempt to compare one TEFL provider against another.

T & T are advertising a new format:

4 week Certificate (which seems to be the old 120hrs + 6 prac (6weeks) format now provided in (4 weeks)

Plus

4 week Diploma course.

Please lets not debate the use of Diploma rather my question is does anyone have any first hand experience either through exposure (attendance) or discussion (with an attendee or with someone from the T & T institution) they can pass on.

Is the change a sign of the times or driven by market forces or even the MoE?

Edited by mijan24

Re. the new T&T format, I had a friend check it out for me and it was for marketing reasons to scoop up other potentials out there. My bottom line was that I wanted something that would help me worldwide and further my education, I wanted something beyond Bachelor's credits, so I went with the TEFL Institute's 5 week program and am now working on getting a Master's with Buffalo State, State Uni of New York with the courses taught in Bangkok. Sorry if that's more info than you wanted, am just excited I came across that course.

I checked the website of T&T yesterday, nothing more, to see about the advertised diploma in addition to the certificate. It appears to my jaded eyes that there's one introductory four week 100+6 hour cert course, same as before. Then, there's a new, advanced four week course that receives a diploma.

If the Thai English experts and employers don't know the ambiguities of English words, world wide, that's their problem. Degree, diploma, certificate - let them figure it out. Associate degree, e.g., is not a bachelor's degree; far from it.

I'm one of many in Thailand TEFL who's been begging for a course beyond the four week course, and in the last three years, couldn't find a one week course anywhere in Thailand for a 'refresher' or advanced course. If I were still looking for a job, I'd consider a review or advanced course.

I checked the website of T&T yesterday, nothing more, to see about the advertised diploma in addition to the certificate. It appears to my jaded eyes that there's one introductory four week 100+6 hour cert course, same as before. Then, there's a new, advanced four week course that receives a diploma.

If the Thai English experts and employers don't know the ambiguities of English words, world wide, that's their problem. Degree, diploma, certificate - let them figure it out. Associate degree, e.g., is not a bachelor's degree; far from it.

I'm one of many in Thailand TEFL who's been begging for a course beyond the four week course, and in the last three years, couldn't find a one week course anywhere in Thailand for a 'refresher' or advanced course. If I were still looking for a job, I'd consider a review or advanced course.

I think the confusion could come because Cambridge ESOL award a certficate (CELTA) and a diploma (DELTA). The DELTA means something in the EFL world.

How does T&T's Diploma compare to Cambridge's?

Text and Talk do seem to have a rather ambiguous reputation. Here in Cambodia at least. If this Diploma is legitimate does it really compare with the DELTA? Is it even comparable to alternative more established courses that are basic TEFL certification programs, such as TEFL International / CELTA etc?

I’d like to hear T & T’s opinion on this.

The price does seem rather low. And in the close-knit ESL world of Cambodia a Text and Talk Certificate doesn’t exactly throw a lot of weight.

S.B.

• 1 month later...
Of course, T&T is not an advertiser/sponsor on ThaiVisa; the SEE program is our sponsor here. But I've been trying for days now to even reach the T&T website, and my incredibly slow, snail-buffalo-modem can't reach it.

I was on their web site today and it was working. www.teflteachthai.com

Slightly off-topic, but it's said by T&T that their course is only one of two that the MOE recognise. Since the new regs have come in, has anyone heard of anyone gaining TL status only upon the production of a T&T cert and a couple of years experience?

Slightly off-topic, but it's said by T&T that their course is only one of two that the MOE recognise. Since the new regs have come in, has anyone heard of anyone gaining TL status only upon the production of a T&T cert and a couple of years experience?

Only T&T making this claim. In fact on another website I saw an advertising banner that gave the phone number and name of someone to contact in the MoE. A few things to consider if you are going to buy this:

1. Only the first name of the person was given.

2. A mobile phone number only was given. No landline number with an extension to contact their contact at work.

3. They cannot reference anything from a MoE publication or website to support this. Only their contact.

4. If it's true, why don't they publish the details on their website.

5. Most importantly I have never read anything on any discusion board posted by a teacher that supports this.

There's a lurker on a few sites who also suggests this information is true and you can pm him for more information. The lurker is T&T's salesman. (pm for details)

One other point:

T&T recently moved their school's location in Chiang Mai. The school licence is based on the location (engineer's report, facilities etc.) They are not portable. Check with the MoE in Chiang Mai that they are in fact licensed to run any sort of educational programme if you're considering one of their courses. You don't want the MoE refusing you a TL, do you?

Now, the way things change around here, this info might be totally wrong :o but a couple of years ago a friend's TEFL was rejected by the MOE when he applied for a TL. The reason given was that there were only two Thailand based TEFL courses that were approved by the MOE and his wasn't one of them! (T&T was one, I don't remember the other)

HOWEVER, the MOE would approve of a TEFL that was acredited in an English speaking country. So, a TEFL course that was offered by a company that was based in or associated with an English or American or Australian company would be OK.

My online TEFL was run by a UK company and was approved without any problems.

Of course, TIT, YMMW and things may very well have changed in the past year or month or week. :D

Now, the way things change around here, this info might be totally wrong :o but a couple of years ago a friend's TEFL was rejected by the MOE when he applied for a TL. The reason given was that there were only two Thailand based TEFL courses that were approved by the MOE and his wasn't one of them! (T&T was one, I don't remember the other)

HOWEVER, the MOE would approve of a TEFL that was acredited in an English speaking country. So, a TEFL course that was offered by a company that was based in or associated with an English or American or Australian company would be OK.

My online TEFL was run by a UK company and was approved without any problems.

Of course, TIT, YMMW and things may very well have changed in the past year or month or week. :D

A few years ago there were only a couple of Thailand based TEFL providers. Things have changed a lot. There are now many more teachers working here and many more TEFL providers have opened to meet this demand. If the schools were not operating without the approval of the MoE, they would not be licenced and competitors would have them closed asap, as happened to a school near to TEFL Int recently (Tristar)

Edited by Loaded

It is questionable whether you absolutely have to have a TEFL certification to get a teaching license. Is it even mentioned on the now-legendary list of things needed to get a TL after October 28, (or was it November 28) 2006? And how many provincial MOE offices have different interpretations of the national regulations? Until now, teachers at government schools apparently didn't need a TL.

I'm all for new teachers who arrive from foreign countries, having or obtaining TEFL training; the more the better (nine years of attendance at Oxbridge might be best).

Perhaps there's confusion between: [1] the TEFL school having a special TEFL school license from the MOE; and [2] what the MOE requires from an applicant who needs a teacher's license.

It is questionable whether you absolutely have to have a TEFL certification to get a teaching license. Is it even mentioned on the now-legendary list of things needed to get a TL after October 28, (or was it November 28) 2006? And how many provincial MOE offices have different interpretations of the national regulations? Until now, teachers at government schools apparently didn't need a TL.

Certainly the 'new' regulations don't mention TEFL, but they do mention a 1-year post graduate teaching certificate or a BEd to exempt you from the knowledge evaluation criteria part. Planet cuckoo land methinks, but...

Do a TEFL because it will give you the basics needed to start teaching TEFL, schools require TEFL certification, the TEFL provider can help you with work and obtaining the correct visa. I believe a TEFL will also help convince your local MoE officer that you're kosher, but, as PB said, I haven't seen any strict/firm/absolute regulation regarding this.