Stargazing in Phuket

TheBrit

Hi,

I wondered if anyone here actually is interested in looking at the stars/planets or anything like that.

I recently got myself a Telescope and wondered if anyone also did this as a hobby.

Places to go and learning is always fun for me.

The Brit

SAdly, I'm nowhere near Phuket or I would take you up on your offer. I did manage to spot Neptune through binoculars a few years ago from the top of my condo roof in Jomtien. I was only able to identify that it was Neptune because of its proximity in the night sky to Jupiter.

Alan

There was a thread about 2-3 years ago asking similar questions. I think ThaiVisa member oilinki may have been involved in it.

Yes, and if you find that thread, there is a guy I know as Captain Mike, don't know if that is/was his TV nic but he's interested. Posters from that thread were debating where as Patong was central for everyone, but the lights make it too bright there, best to be somewhere dark.

Yes, I'm interested in Astronomy and related subjects (Relativity etc). I live in Isaan and unfortunately a lot of light pollution. Having said that I have been out on occasions but had to drive and choose a spot. Constellations Pegasus, (Andromeda galaxy), Pisces, almost directly overhead at around 10pm. Pleiades is further to the east but should be able see them. Orion is not far from the eastern horizon but after midnight Sirius is around 20-25 degree above the E horizon. So if you have an unobstructed view you should them. Venus and Jupiter are in the early morning eastern sky and clearly visible. Hope you have good star gazing.

Pollution is not generally problem in Phuket. Humidity can be more challenging as it makes the air jiggle.

I live in NE Phuket where we have not too much light pollution. Plenty of stars visible with naked eye. With a telescope or camera it's possible to see the moons of Jupiter.

Yesterday evening I managed to capture sunspots on our closest star at Patong beach during the sunset. First time for me in Thailand. :)

https://flic.kr/p/AqC76m

Great to hear you guys have clear skies down there. I have never gone so far as to get a telescope, but I have always taken great pride and pleasure in being able to identify and locate constellations, current planetary positions, etc.

If you are originally from the northern latitudes, one thing that is special and exciting about being in Thailand for me is being able to see some of the southern hemisphere's stars and constellations that you can't see from say Europe or America. Also, if you are lucky enough to get a clear evening or two in June, July or August or even early evening in early autumn, the spectacular Scorpio/Sagitarrius zone is much better placed, higher in the sky, than it is in more northern latitudes. When you look at that area of the sky you are looking straight into the heart of the milky way galaxy, so it is particularly rich in interesting patterns and zillions of tiny stars, definitely recommnded. Being higher in the sky makes it so much clearer as well. Orion is a classic and also better positioned than it is back home, lots of stuff to check out with a telescope in that one.

I am not sure what unique southern constellations are up at the moment, we haven't had good viewing in Isaan lately. Despite the fact that it is clear during the day it fogs up around night time and people set fires and whatnot. But if I am not mistaken, by January or so, a good chunk of the constellation Centaurus is visible, it is quite a unique configuration of fairly bright stars, nothing like it in the northern sky, looks like an otherworldly sky to me also highly recommended and I am sure it has its share of interesting deep sky, telescope only features. Also the southern cross is a treat and also just visible over the far south horizon.

This web page is great for seeing exactly what is in the sky at whatever time, where ever you are in the world. You just type in your longitude latitude coordinates and the date and time and you're there:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

Enjoy!

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

I'm on holiday in Majorca just now. Took this pic. last night. Was given a Telescope for my birthday. It's packed away in my suitcase for returning home to Bang Satay next week. Looking forward to seeing what new world it opens up amount the gallaxy of stars.post-121763-0-23977500-1446267936_thumb.

Edited by dotpoom

The Brit,

I'm interested but as TKDfella, I'm more into reading about Astronomy, Relativity and Strings. I do not have a telescope and would be hard pressed to point one at a designated target. Less than novice. However, i'd more than willing to join and help if you need. Could learn more some and would complement my reading. I live in Chalong near Phuket town.

The Brit,

I'm interested but as TKDfella, I'm more into reading about Astronomy, Relativity and Strings. I do not have a telescope and would be hard pressed to point one at a designated target. Less than novice. However, i'd more than willing to join and help if you need. Could learn more some and would complement my reading. I live in Chalong near Phuket town.

Having moved 5 times in 2 years my telescope is still packed away but I use my binoculars. In addition there are concrete mixing stations not far from me and that dust will foul mirrors. Recently the Thai observatory has tried to make Astronomy more attractive to Thai children but I think it's an uphill struggle. Having said that, they are trying and there have even been adverts on TV for Prof Hawking's books. So if you do go stargazing don't be surprised if some Thai youngsters become interested too and that's always good...both ways. I've included a view of directly above (90 degrees elevation/declination) for 9:40 pm tonight the Big Buddha coordinates.

Incidentally, obviously you like reading the science side...is that from a 'popular science book' point on or are you like me and interested in the deeper physics/math. Whatever the case be nice to have a chat sometime.

post-247031-0-76683500-1446280936_thumb.

The Brit,

Having moved 5 times in 2 years my telescope is still packed away but I use my binoculars. In addition there are concrete mixing stations not far from me and that dust will foul mirrors. Recently the Thai observatory has tried to make Astronomy more attractive to Thai children but I think it's an uphill struggle. Having said that, they are trying and there have even been adverts on TV for Prof Hawking's books. So if you do go stargazing don't be surprised if some Thai youngsters become interested too and that's always good...both ways. I've included a view of directly above (90 degrees elevation/declination) for 9:40 pm tonight the Big Buddha coordinates.

Incidentally, obviously you like reading the science side...is that from a 'popular science book' point on or are you like me and interested in the deeper physics/math. Whatever the case be nice to have a chat sometime.

Wow, you move around a lot. Been here since 2011 and it's probably the last move until I fall!

I just like reading and I read a lot. I'll read simple stuff and if I need further details then I'll dig deeper in the physics and math. I'm EE by trade (retired) so I understand the basic stuff. Although I'm familiar with Maxwell's and some transformations, the relativity math can get complicated pretty fast. But it's nice revisit now and then and think about how all can be unified. But I'm an Einstein follower... God does not play dice. Well, we'll see. Maybe in my lifetime.

Yes, send me a PM and we can meet somewhere when you have some time.

Thanks for the replies.

I should have used the word Novice as well, but my memory isn't good :)

So I will send Antifreeze a message, and if anyone in Phuket (as I see many of you aren't) we can see what we can see one night.

I was thinking the best place would probably be Prom Thep Cape - since its way down south and I don't think there is much light pollution there. Also way up north where Oilinki is.

That is a great photo. I have a sun filter as well for my scope, but not used it yet.

Thanks again, I will see if I can contact this Captain Mike as well.

TB

Generally the higher location the better.

One location to consider is the Navy radar hill. Close to the Navy base. There is a platform with good view to the night sky.

Downsides, it's restricted area with signs to stay out. Earlier it was not an issue, but I'm not sure what is the situation currently. It's also surrounded by lights from Patong and Phuket town.

Ao Por has one hill, which is cleared from trees at the moment. It also offers a good view to the sky

@thebrit your telescope has 81x / 2000mm lens. Are you able to see the rings of Saturn?

I have always wanted to see them.

There was earlier discussion how to engage kinds into astronomy. One way is to show our closest objects, which are not just dots in the view.

It's possible to see the craters of the Moon and crescent of Venus with a small telescope or inexpensive super zoom camera.

Hi,

I wondered if anyone here actually is interested in looking at the stars/planets or anything like that.

I recently got myself a Telescope and wondered if anyone also did this as a hobby.

Places to go and learning is always fun for me.

The Brit

Sounds like a great idea but I would have to wait until my visiting friends from overseas clear off, by the way did you get your telescope locally?

@oilinki, I can see Saturn, but I still need more choice of eyepieces.

I saw it once, on a very clear day a while back. I haven't used my scope lately.

@exbikey I imported it myself from bandhphoto website. Ended up costing me about 20,000 baht in shipping and taxes, but was still 30,000 baht cheaper than buying it here.

Also my scope has tracking, which helps a lot, as you would be amazed how quickly things move.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/nexstar-8se-computerized-telescope

Edited by TheBrit

@oilinki, I can see Saturn, but I still need more choice of eyepieces.

I saw it once, on a very clear day a while back. I haven't used my scope lately.

@exbikey I imported it myself from bandhphoto website. Ended up costing me about 20,000 baht in shipping and taxes, but was still 30,000 baht cheaper than buying it here.

Also my scope has tracking, which helps a lot, as you would be amazed how quickly things move.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/nexstar-8se-computerized-telescope

Thanks for bandhphoto website suggestion.

Still for some reason my Message box says FULL even though I only have 1 message.

Those of you who are in Phuket, I can't contact you because it won't let me send you a message.

Oilinki, Exbikey, Antifreeze, Chainsaw, TKDella - all 5 interested in meeting somewhere in Phuket?

Still for some reason my Message box says FULL even though I only have 1 message.

Those of you who are in Phuket, I can't contact you because it won't let me send you a message.

Oilinki, Exbikey, Antifreeze, Chainsaw, TKDella - all 5 interested in meeting somewhere in Phuket?

The Admins have fixed my Messaging Bug

• 3 weeks later...