Marriage visa/ Non-O

go.png

Hello guys!

I am currently on a Non-B and work permit, but when I get married, would it be worth switching to a Non-O and getting the work permit from that or is that just a waste of time and money? If I got a Non-O, would that benefit me more than the Non-B does?

ALSO…. I am wondering how I can obtain an affidavit. I'm a british female marrying soon and understand I need one of these. Can I only get it in bangkok at the british embassy or can I get one from the British consulate here in Chiangmai? Also, I am utterly clueless as to how to change my name to his.

Any help on these matters would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance biggrin.png

If you mean an affidavit relating to your "freedom to marry" that can only be obtained from British Embassy in Bangkok.

Whilst you are at the Embassy you could inquire about changing your name although there is no legal requirement for you to do so.

Are you planning to marry a Thai person ?

The big advantage of getting an extension of stay based upon marriage is that it does not go away if your job ends like one for working does.

You need to od the affirmation of permit to marry at the embassy in Bangkok. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/change-to-our-services-in-chiang-mai

I know nothing about the name change.

If you mean an affidavit relating to your "freedom to marry" that can only be obtained from British Embassy in Bangkok.

Whilst you are at the Embassy you could inquire about changing your name although there is no legal requirement for you to do so.

Are you planning to marry a Thai person ?

Yes I am marrying a Thai man.

• Like 1

To change your name you need to do things in two halves. Firstly for the British side (the cheapest way) is to make an unenrolled deed poll. This costs nothing. You then include this with a passport application. After you have done this you will receive your passport in your new name.

Simultaneously, for the Thai side of things you need to make a statutory declaration at the Embassy. This then needs to be translated and certified by the MFA.

When you have your new passport and your certified stat dec you can then go to:

Ministry of Labour

Tax office

Social fund office

Department of Land Transport

District Office (If you have a yellow house book)

Banks

To get everything changed over. You will have to pay for new driving licenses, but not take any tests. While you are there make sure they put your new passport number on the license.

• Like 2

To change your name you need to do things in two halves. Firstly for the British side (the cheapest way) is to make an unenrolled deed poll. This costs nothing. You then include this with a passport application. After you have done this you will receive your passport in your new name.

Simultaneously, for the Thai side of things you need to make a statutory declaration at the Embassy. This then needs to be translated and certified by the MFA.

When you have your new passport and your certified stat dec you can then go to:

Ministry of Labour

Tax office

Social fund office

Department of Land Transport

District Office (If you have a yellow house book)

Banks

To get everything changed over. You will have to pay for new driving licenses, but not take any tests. While you are there make sure they put your new passport number on the license.

Wow, it seems I have a lot to do then…. its quite overwhelming actually! But thank you so much for the information, its a great help! :)

Do you have a valid non 'B' visa or an extension of stay based on working?

Also yes my non-b and work permit are valid.

A Non-B visa is obtained at a consulate abroad, each entry gives you 90 days permission to stay.

An extension of stay is obtained at immigrations in Thailand.

There is a difference what happens if you loose your job depending on what you have.

Extensions ends same day you are not working anymore, visa entry will be valid.

• Like 1

If you have a visa then it makes little difference whether it's a non 'B' or 'O' (marriage). Although I'd recommend switching to a non 'O' when the non 'B' expires.

If at anytime you want to switch to an extension of stay it would be better to apply based on marriage rather than working.

• Like 1

Consider the name change really carefully as it will have a big impact on your life and offers little benefit to you. Especially in Thailand where you will always be a farang first. My wife, a Thai national, changed hers and I see only difficulties she experiences when dealing with Thai officialdom. Perhaps it will be better as a Thai man's spouse but is that all you want to be?

It is a seriously outdated practice which IMO demeans women. In my lifetime I would have had to change my name several times by now - if men were expected to do so... tongue.png

• Like 1

Also yes my non-b and work permit are valid.

A Non-B visa is obtained at a consulate abroad, each entry gives you 90 days permission to stay.

An extension of stay is obtained at immigrations in Thailand.

There is a difference what happens if you loose your job depending on what you have.

Extensions ends same day you are not working anymore, visa entry will be valid.

Edited by charlee27

My Wife has never had a problem by taking my name. To say different is just scaremongering.

It is a matter of personal choice.

Scaremongering blink.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

So I say my wife experiences some problems and in some bizarre way you think I am trying to spread fear and panic... cheesy.gif

Edit: To add, my surname is a little difficult to pronounce and spell. I don't know how many times I have witnessed my dear wife having to spell in English to a Thai person in a bank, shop, where the hell ever we go - Thais do not know English alphabet very well at all so even spelling is difficult.

But you have been here a long time so I, as you believe you should know everything already... Or is that you Mr O?

Edited by ParadiseLost

Consider the name change really carefully as it will have a big impact on your life and offers little benefit to you. Especially in Thailand where you will always be a farang first. My wife, a Thai national, changed hers and I see only difficulties she experiences when dealing with Thai officialdom. Perhaps it will be better as a Thai man's spouse but is that all you want to be?

It is a seriously outdated practice which IMO demeans women. In my lifetime I would have had to change my name several times by now - if men were expected to do so... tongue.png

My wife had no choice about the name change when we got married (pre 2002) and she has not had a problem at all with having my family name. She even served as a village head for 5 years. She has also bought land and got it in her name without a problem.

Thats good to know.

To be clear I never said life has been unbearable for my wife - when we married she decided to change (contrary to my advice - note I said advice not will) and after ten years I still don't see the point - I only find it demeaning.

Would you change your name so readily - if forced by outdated norms?

Perhaps some men are a little insecure and require a means to stamp ownership on their 'better half'... Not talking about anyone specific here laugh.png

My wife had no choice about the name change when we got married (pre 2002) and she has not had a problem at all with having my family name. She even served as a village head for 5 years. She has also bought land and got it in her name without a problem.

Thats good to know.

To be clear I never said life has been unbearable for my wife - when we married she decided to change (contrary to my advice - note I said advice not will) and after ten years I still don't see the point - I only find it demeaning.

Perhaps some men are a little insecure and require a means to stamp ownership on their 'better half'... Not talking about anyone specific here laugh.png

Did you read the part about my wife not having a choice when we married. Prior to a court ruling in 2002 a woman had no choice but to take her husbands name. I certainly did not force her to do it. But I am certain she would of done it anyway.

• Like 2

Thats good to know.

Did you read the part about my wife not having a choice when we married. Prior to a court ruling in 2002 a woman had no choice but to take her husbands name. I certainly did not force her to do it. But I am certain she would of done it anyway.

I most certainly did read that part and in no ways was I referring to you wai.gif

I was making a reference to why such an outdated practice is kept alive, across so many cultures.

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-stay-with-thai-husband/

List of documents for Stay with Thai husband

1. Visa Extension Form (TM.7).2. Passport or Travel Documents.3. Non-Immigrant Visa.4. Marriage Certificate.(If from abord have to certified by The Embassy or Consulate in Thailand).5. Thai husband s I.D. Card.6. House register of Thai husband.7. Children s Birth Certificate8. Map to Home9. Family Photo

Looks far easier and better to me - but I'm no expert - to get this type of 0 visa than messing about with providing company documents for a B visa (and as 'married to thai husband' you don't seem to need b400k in your own bank account as a 'support thai wife' visa).

My Wife has never had a problem by taking my name. To say different is just scaremongering.

It is a matter of personal choice.

Scaremongering blink.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

So I say my wife experiences some problems and in some bizarre way you think I am trying to spread fear and panic... cheesy.gif

Edit: To add, my surname is a little difficult to pronounce and spell. I don't know how many times I have witnessed my dear wife having to spell in English to a Thai person in a bank, shop, where the hell ever we go - Thais do not know English alphabet very well at all so even spelling is difficult.

But you have been here a long time so I, as you believe you should know everything already... Or is that you Mr O?

Yes it is scaremongering.

A Wife taking a husbands name in Thailand will give her no problems whatsoever.

Whether she chooses to or not is her choice, as it should be.

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-stay-with-thai-husband/

List of documents for Stay with Thai husband

1. Visa Extension Form (TM.7).2. Passport or Travel Documents.3. Non-Immigrant Visa.4. Marriage Certificate.(If from abord have to certified by The Embassy or Consulate in Thailand).5. Thai husband s I.D. Card.6. House register of Thai husband.7. Children s Birth Certificate8. Map to Home9. Family Photo

Looks far easier and better to me - but I'm no expert - to get this type of 0 visa than messing about with providing company documents for a B visa (and as 'married to thai husband' you don't seem to need b400k in your own bank account as a 'support thai wife' visa).

If married to a Thai man no financial proof is needed, Some offices may want proof of your husbands income but yours would be accepted also,

Certainly easier than dong an extension based upon working.

Thank you everyone for you're advice and replies… I think switching to the Non-O will be better for me :)

And actually, I would like to take my husbands name…. not that I don't love my own, but to me, it's the traditional way, and I like it that way…. also feels more real too hahaha!!! :P