Chicken Sh*t (kee kai) and Aquifers (water)

carlyai

1. I live about 26 Km on the Mukdahan road from Kuchinari.

Anyone got some contact details of the nearest place I can buy some truck loads of 'kee gai'?

Approx price would also be nice. smile.png

2. Although it was difficult, (had to know the right channels to go thru), when I was working on the islands around the top of Arnhem Land in Aus

I managed to get hold of the location drawings of the aquifers in the area.

Has anyone a copy of the aquifers around Isaan?

I know it's a big area, but I am interested around Kuchinari in particular.

Someone, sometime would have got their doctorate degree in research on this subject, so detailed drawings must be somewhere.

Rough sketches, anything. sad.png

There is a Department of Groundwater Resources, that I think maintain an office in each province. They are the authority with most detailed info on this subject. Go to them with a well-dressed Thai friend and politely request GW maps of your area - they will have them, but may need some persuasion to allow you to see them. If you know a government official (karachagan) who is prepared to go with you, then that would help in your quest.wink.png

We have a place on the 24 highway about 14 km east of the 224 and 24 intersection. GPS 14.7595926011, 102.277489178 (Chok Chai Chicken Shit.) and yes thats what wife calls it. Go to this gps locationon Google Earth and use street view. I do not have a phone number but they do deliver at 180 baht per 50 kg bag and require you take at least 80 bags. Our plac is 160 km distance yours may be more. I do know they are still in business.

There is a Department of Groundwater Resources, that I think maintain an office in each province. They are the authority with most detailed info on this subject. Go to them with a well-dressed Thai friend and politely request GW maps of your area - they will have them, but may need some persuasion to allow you to see them. If you know a government official (karachagan) who is prepared to go with you, then that would help in your quest.wink.png

Thanks for that.

Have you seen the maps and are they any good to get an idea of what size aquifer there is under your soil?

We have a place on the 24 highway about 14 km east of the 224 and 24 intersection. GPS 14.7595926011, 102.277489178 (Chok Chai Chicken Shit.) and yes thats what wife calls it. Go to this gps locationon Google Earth and use street view. I do not have a phone number but they do deliver at 180 baht per 50 kg bag and require you take at least 80 bags. Our plac is 160 km distance yours may be more. I do know they are still in business.

Thanks.

I'll set up my gps tomorrow, need a nice spot to travel to while the Mrs is away.

BTW this pace will sell at 150 baht per bag if you take it with you. You can leave the feathers.

Thanks for that.

Have you seen the maps and are they any good to get an idea of what size aquifer there is under your soil?

I saw some maps many years ago and they are pretty detailed, with geological formations, depths of aquifer, salt affected areas and potential FW yields, but cannot say how often they are updated or remember the scale at which they are produced. Fairly crude for precise locations I'd imagine, but maybe useful for getting a reasonable overview of a district and province. Large parts of the region overlie a large salt layer, as you may know, so establishing the extent of that in relation to your location may be a high priority. However, suspect you may be to the north of the main Mun-Chi basin salt dome and safe. But other dissolved minerals, like iron, may be a concern.

Thanks for that.

I saw some maps many years ago and they are pretty detailed, with geological formations, depths of aquifer, salt affected areas and potential FW yields, but cannot say how often they are updated or remember the scale at which they are produced. Fairly crude for precise locations I'd imagine, but maybe useful for getting a reasonable overview of a district and province. Large parts of the region overlie a large salt layer, as you may know, so establishing the extent of that in relation to your location may be a high priority. However, suspect you may be to the north of the main Mun-Chi basin salt dome and safe. But other dissolved minerals, like iron, may be a concern.

Great thanks, that's what I'm looking for.

We seem (just going on the bore pump etc, have a 300 w jet pump), to have plenty of water, but I have another bore dug, awhile ago, about 30 m from the one we are using now, for when I connect my irrigation system. The irrigation area (for garden and lawn) is not large, but be nice to look at the aquafer, specially because of the dire water warnings around the Asian area.

Talking about iron content: Bore Water Filters?

The bore water seems to have iron content, even though the water is pumped to a big 3000 L tank and settles before the other pump delivers it to the house and yard, over time, there is rust staining. It looks nice and clear, but must contain iron to give the rust stain.

When you have a shower the water feels soft and normal, but seems to make the shower floor tiles slippery. Could be my imagination. The tiles are supposed to be non-slip.

Here's a pic of the colour of the stain over time. This white cloth is on the kitchen sink tap.

post-207577-0-76521700-1446860472_thumb.

There seem to be lots of water filters around, I have not really researched them as yet, but do you have a recommendation for a 'bore dan' water fliter?

Probably should go to KongKen and get our water tested first.

What's the Thai translation for 'aquifier'?

Sounds like: 'bore nam ba dan' is it 'bore water aquifier'? So is an aquifier a 'ba dan' or 'bore nam ba dan' or 'nam kaang'?

When I put 'aquifier' into my google translater it comes out in Thai with 'nam kaang' or what I would think is 'ice'.

Aquifier translation in Google is: น้ำแข็ง

If I go to the Thai government office, at least I need to know what the Thai name for aquifier is me thinks.

ALSO

I'm getting our bore water tested, by a kind person in Thailand, and also sent for a test kit from the States.

I'll publish the results here, so hopefully I can marry the water test results with the pic of the aquifers under us. smile.png

Edited by carlyai

Thanks.

I'll set up my gps tomorrow, need a nice spot to travel to while the Mrs is away.

Never got to Chok Chai Chicken Shit place as about 370 Km from us one way.

Have to look closer.

Sounds like: 'bore nam ba dan' is it 'bore water aquifier'? So is an aquifier a 'ba dan' or 'bore nam ba dan' or 'nam kaang'?

When I put 'aquifier' into my google translater it comes out in Thai with 'nam kaang' or what I would think is 'ice'.

If I go to the Thai government office, at least I need to know what the Thai name for aquifier is me thinks.

ALSO

I'm getting our bore water tested, by a kind person in Thailand, and also sent for a test kit from the States.

I'll publish the results here, so hopefully I can marry the water test results with the pic of the aquifers under us. smile.png

Answer my own question.

well water is: naamboo and well is: boonaam

underground water is: naambaadaan

city water is: naamprapaa

Pattaya water contains: naam asuci

ALSO

Answer my own question.

Underground water can also be referred to as "naam dai din", but an aquifer is definitely not "naam kaeng", as indicated by your translator.

And Pattaya water will contain a lot else beside "naam asuci" that you would need to worry about, both before and after it comes out the taps. Jizz is just the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Definitely looks like you've got a dissolved iron problem in your own water, so a magnetic filter might be worth investing in, as maybe less troublesome than a fine-screen filter.....not sure about economics of options though, or whether it can be just tolerated for main domestic use water as it is, and get your drinking water elsewhere......though that can sometimes be dodgy in some locations in Thailand too.

Hope the test results come back with nothing too much to worry about.

ALSO

ชั้นหินอุ้มน้ำ

ALSO

Answer my own question.

Underground water can also be referred to as "naam dai din", but an aquifer is definitely not "naam kaeng", as indicated by your translator.

And Pattaya water will contain a lot else beside "naam asuci" that you would need to worry about, both before and after it comes out the taps. Jizz is just the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Definitely looks like you've got a dissolved iron problem in your own water, so a magnetic filter might be worth investing in, as maybe less troublesome than a fine-screen filter.....not sure about economics of options though, or whether it can be just tolerated for main domestic use water as it is, and get your drinking water elsewhere......though that can sometimes be dodgy in some locations in Thailand too.

Hope the test results come back with nothing too much to worry about.

I really don't want to buy water, I want to fliter it myself, but I don't want to use a 'softener' if I can help it as want all the good minerals for drinking.

It's interesting delving into these aquifiers, and have been having a look at the big salt one (ming chu or something like that as mentioned by someone previously).

Up where I was working in Aus they had one big natural well, called the Mukashan Well, named a long time ago by the local tribe who interacted with the Indonesian Mukashan's and exchanged Trepang for metal things.

The well worked fine until the Missionaries came to help and started agriculture, had everything growing, beef cattle, tobacco, coconuts, everything, and the community was pretty self-sufficient, but they used too much aquifer water and the sea water came in and stuffed up their only supply so they had to move to the mainland.

Now they have modern bores but the old Makashan Well is still there, and still contaminated.

So I really am curious about the aquifiers around here, and how they get recharged if we continue with the elmeno weather pattern.

ALSO

ชั้นหินอุ้มน้ำ

Hi John,

I'll have to look that one up, 'chanhinumnaam' something like 'the level where the stone and fresh water are', maybe tongue.png

Yesterday I remembered I had this u beaut Mary Hass Thai-English dictionary somewhere, dug it out, and found the nearest I could to 'aquifier' was 'ground water' or 'naam baa daan', tha't what they seem to call bore water around here.

Maybe your Thai translation is more correct as 'naam baa daan' could be any water that comes out of the bore, ground water etc but may not be from the aquifier.

Water Test Result at Baan Suan Pheung Kachinari November 2015

UNFILTERED WATER TEST # 1

VALUE TOTAL DISOLVED SOLIDS UNIT

TDS 40 PPM

TOTAL ALKILINITY 5 PPM

TOTAL HARDNESS 13 PPM

CALCIUM HARDNESS 20 PPM

pH < 6

PHOSPATES 0.36 PPM

CHLORIDES 12 PPM

NITRATES 0.7 PPM

COPPER 0.08 PPM

IRON 1.01 PPM

MANGANESE 0.17 PPM

Edited by carlyai

Your water quality is acceptable except for the Iron. The good news is that is fairly easy to remove with aeration (cascading over something will do) and then filtration, usually through sand. pH is also lower than I would normally expect and may require repeat testing for confirmation.

The normal local term for aquifer is "chun naam". The Department of Groundwater Resources, with an office in Amphur Muang of every province, will have good maps and detailed information on all the wells in your area and the maps are for sale. The mapping project was originally assisted by an Australian Aid project based at the Accelerated Rural Development office in Khon Kaen. There was also a huge study done by USAID in the 60s. I have lost my copy of the report but it had the results from several thousand wells in the north-east. If I remember correctly, the Consultants were Daniel, Mann, Johnson and Mendenhall - more often called Dim Jim. I have not been able to find the book ("Groundwater Resources of North-East Thailand" or something similar) on the web.

As an aside, Union Oil drilled an unsuccessful exploration oil well in Kuchinarai in around '70 or '71. It was still a bit dodgy then with communist insurgents in that area.

Edited by Boksida

ALSO

ชั้นหินอุ้มน้ำ

Hi John,

I'll have to look that one up, 'chanhinumnaam' something like 'the level where the stone and fresh water are', maybe tongue.png

Yesterday I remembered I had this u beaut Mary Hass Thai-English dictionary somewhere, dug it out, and found the nearest I could to 'aquifier' was 'ground water' or 'naam baa daan', tha't what they seem to call bore water around here.

Maybe your Thai translation is more correct as 'naam baa daan' could be any water that comes out of the bore, ground water etc but may not be from the aquifier.

Another correction. I thought the 'um' was fresh, but it's probably 'carry', so the translation could be 'the level where the stones carry the water', or something like an aquifier.

Your water quality is acceptable except for the Iron. The good news is that is fairly easy to remove with aeration (cascading over something will do) and then filtration, usually through sand. pH is also lower than I would normally expect and may require repeat testing for confirmation.

The normal local term for aquifer is "chun naam". The Department of Groundwater Resources, with an office in Amphur Muang of every province, will have good maps and detailed information on all the wells in your area and the maps are for sale. The mapping project was originally assisted by an Australian Aid project based at the Accelerated Rural Development office in Khon Kaen. There was also a huge study done by USAID in the 60s. I have lost my copy of the report but it had the results from several thousand wells in the north-east. If I remember correctly, the Consultants were Daniel, Mann, Johnson and Mendenhall - more often called Dim Jim. I have not been able to find the book ("Groundwater Resources of North-East Thailand" or something similar) on the web.

As an aside, Union Oil drilled an unsuccessful exploration oil well in Kuchinarai in around '70 or '71. It was still a bit dodgy then with communist insurgents in that area.

Great, thanks for that.

'chun naam', what's the 'chun'?

Think I have enough info now to get the maps I want.

ALSO

Answer my own question.

Pattaya water also contains naam prick....

ALSO

Answer my own question.

Pattaya water also contains naam prick....

Yes it does, that's why I'm so strong and healthy.

If you get out your Mary Hass dictionary, which you carry everywhere in your back pocket, you'll find that ' naam asuci' and naam prick', that's the Aussie 'prick' not the Thai hot 'prick', are the same thing.

The Thai word for sperm is 'naam asuci'. smile.png But I will probably be corrected. wai2.gif