Australian bank account for wife

Not thinking of dying yet, but I knew my pension scheme pays the wife 2/3 of it on my death. So I looked into the fine print. Knowing that after I do kick the bucket she wont have a clue.

She must be able to prove she was living with me for some time (3 years I think), well we can do that.

Prove her identity, well a bit of a hassle re translations of some documents but can be done.

Tax file number, haven't looked into this yet but am assuming it could be done?

Have an Australian bank account.

So far I've trawled through the majors and a couple of others, they will do it for non-residents on the basis that you intend migrating to Australia but they wont activate it until you show up in Australia with your ID. Not 100% clear if it could be done on a tourist visa. Well I don't really want to take her to Australia again but will if I have to. I don't know whether it's the case that they don't want non-resident customers, but I did think that foreigners opened bank accounts in Australia to take advantage of higher interest rates and paid withholding tax of 10% or is that just for expat Aussies

Has anybody got any experience with this issue?

It's a catch 22. OK I read that TFN stuff, she cannot apply online.

The paper form gives one option for needing a TFN as "being the recipient of a benefit from a superannuation fund" but the super fund requires the TFN before it will pay the benefit. I'll check it out with the super fund I think. In fact I had already done so but need to be a bit more probing in my questions I think.

No takers on the bank account query eh?

The paper form gives one option for needing a TFN as "being the recipient of a benefit from a superannuation fund" but the super fund requires the TFN before it will pay the benefit. I'll check it out with the super fund I think. In fact I had already done so but need to be a bit more probing in my questions I think.

You and your wife are in a real dilema. There will be loads of Aussie's in the same boat as well.

I'm pretty sure your wife will need to be in Oz to open/activate a bank account.

Unless your super fund has a TFN for your wife, she will be taxed at the highest rate I think.

She will more than likely have to lodge tax returns as well.

Are you in the CSS or PSS? If so, they used to be able to send out a monthly cheque instead of

an electronic transfer.

I would be phoning or emailing your super fund and bank to see what they require.

Sorry not to be of more help but it's a real tough one.

You and your wife are in a real dilema. There will be loads of Aussie's in the same boat as well.

I'm pretty sure your wife will need to be in Oz to open/activate a bank account.

Unless your super fund has a TFN for your wife, she will be taxed at the highest rate I think.

She will more than likely have to lodge tax returns as well.

Are you in the CSS or PSS? If so, they used to be able to send out a monthly cheque instead of

an electronic transfer.

I would be phoning or emailing your super fund and bank to see what they require.

Sorry not to be of more help but it's a real tough one.

Will, it is the PSS but when I emailed them they did not mention a cheque option in their brief and unhelpful reply. I e-mailed them again and got another similar reply, I will give it a third shot, also my own banks have all been in the must be in country stable, apart from ING which demands residency.

So as Fang says next trip I'll have to take her, don't often enjoy travelling with the missus especially if it's somewhere she doesn't want to go and Australia falls into that category, she's been once and didn't like the flight for a start, I guess if I tell her that at the end of it all there is money involved she'll cooperate

Will, it is the PSS but when I emailed them they did not mention a cheque option in their brief and unhelpful reply. I e-mailed them again and got another similar reply, I will give it a third shot, also my own banks have all been in the must be in country stable, apart from ING which demands residency.

So as Fang says next trip I'll have to take her, don't often enjoy travelling with the missus especially if it's somewhere she doesn't want to go and Australia falls into that category, she's been once and didn't like the flight for a start, I guess if I tell her that at the end of it all there is money involved she'll cooperate

I would phone PSS and just explain to them your situation.

Being sent a cheque might avoid a trip to Oz for her.

You could enquire about opening an Australian bank account through a local (Thai) branch. You have to get the 100 point ID score verified in person. The following extract was taken from Citibank Australian web site.

“If you are interested in opening an Australian account, you may be able to do this from the country where you are currently located. Contact your local branch for more information.”

Citibank: 399 Sukhumvit Road, Interchange 21 Building (Asoke Intersection) Klongtoey Nua ,Sub-district, Wattana District, Bangkok 10110

Telephone Number:

Domestic: 1588

or you can try

ANZ Bank (Thai) Public Company Limited (Representative office)

Address: Level 8, Athenee Tower, 63 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand

Phone: +66 (0)2 263 9700

Fax: +66 (0)2 168 8780

E-mail: [email protected]

As you mentioned before, she may be able to apply for a TFN based on recieving benefits from a superannuation fund. I would contact the AT0 on requirements and tax rates (Resident-Non Resident-Withholding)

For more information about TFNs for individuals living outside Australia, phone +61 2 6216 1111, and ask to be transferred to Personal tax enquiries.

Following is the link to ATO TFN application instructions / form "Instructions and form for individuals living outside of Australia". https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/CAS/downloads/IND6797n2628.pdf

I hope this is of some help, Regards.

You could enquire about opening an Australian bank account through a local (Thai) branch. You have to get the 100 point ID score verified in person. The following extract was taken from Citibank Australian web site.

“If you are interested in opening an Australian account, you may be able to do this from the country where you are currently located. Contact your local branch for more information.”

Citibank: 399 Sukhumvit Road, Interchange 21 Building (Asoke Intersection) Klongtoey Nua ,Sub-district, Wattana District, Bangkok 10110

Telephone Number:

Domestic: 1588

or you can try

ANZ Bank (Thai) Public Company Limited (Representative office)

Address: Level 8, Athenee Tower, 63 Wireless Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand

Phone: +66 (0)2 263 9700

Fax: +66 (0)2 168 8780

E-mail: [email protected]

As you mentioned before, she may be able to apply for a TFN based on recieving benefits from a superannuation fund. I would contact the AT0 on requirements and tax rates (Resident-Non Resident-Withholding)

For more information about TFNs for individuals living outside Australia, phone +61 2 6216 1111, and ask to be transferred to Personal tax enquiries.

Following is the link to ATO TFN application instructions / form "Instructions and form for individuals living outside of Australia". https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/CAS/downloads/IND6797n2628.pdf

I hope this is of some help, Regards.

I'm not sure about Citibank but I'm pretty sure ANZ Thailand is for corporate/business customers.

I applied for a TFN for my wife earlier this year. I filled the form in and posted it to Australia. I had a copy of her passport passport and drivers license certified by the Australia embassy.I didnot hear anything and after 2 months telephoned them. They could only advise that it had not been approved. Two weeks later she received a letter with her tax file number. Funny thing was that it was approved the day that I had telephoned.

The last time we were in Australia we sorted out a bank account for her. .

I applied for a TFN for my wife earlier this year. I filled the form in and posted it to Australia. I had a copy of her passport passport and drivers license certified by the Australia embassy.I didnot hear anything and after 2 months telephoned them. They could only advise that it had not been approved. Two weeks later she received a letter with her tax file number. Funny thing was that it was approved the day that I had telephoned.

The last time we were in Australia we sorted out a bank account for her. .

Sounds like your call to the tax office made them look in the bottom of the in tray where someone left it.

I guess this is what I was looking for. Was she on a tourist visa when you opened the bank account or did they even care?