Russia says it’s not crucial that President Assad stays in power

webfact

Russia says its not crucial that President Assad stays in power

606x341_316416.jpg

MOSCOW: -- Moscow appears to be changing its stance regarding Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. A spokesperson for the Russian foreign ministry is on record saying that it is not crucial for Assad to stay in power, that it is up to the Syrian people to decide.

Maria Zakharova expanded her remarks in an interview on Russian radio:

Weve never said that Assad has to go or stay. What we did say is that the statehood of Syria is a key to fight terrorism, because without a Syrian state there will be no one to fight terrorists on the ground.

Russia is supporting the Syrian government with air strikes on what it says are terrorist targets and critics claim are rebel positions.

Assads future has been a sticking point between those backing rival sides in the conflict. Moscow says it now plans to host a meeting next week between Syrian government officials and members of the countrys opposition.

Last week world powers including key Assad ally Iran for the first time met in Vienna and agreed to renew efforts to end the conflict.

The ministers agreed to as the United Nations to start a process that could lead to a ceasefire and new elections. New talks are due in two weeks.

euronews2.png

-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-04

A good sign but who / what is the best replacement and who is going to choose it. This is the problem when you get involved in State conflicts. In this region what fills the vacuum is worse than what you helped eliminate. Then you are stuck there forever trying to sort the mess out.

I think the latest Russian interventions in Syria were mostly for domestic consumption, I think he is ready to throw Assad under a bus. Interestingly after all the hype of Russian no fly zones Israeli jets hit targets in Syria the other day, there has been no Russian comment on this that I have found. I wonder who else Putin is preparing to throw under a bus?

I suspect Putin has been reading his own intelligence reports about credible threats to his country, and realised he might have put his foot well and truly in it.

The way out for certain is a diplomatic solution excluding Assad, who can potter off to an Iranian resort to live out his days.

Then hopefully an inclusive government and army can re-establish stability in the country and cut the head off the IS snake.

Iran can still play, too. It will come in handy doing its bit in Iraq.

Edited by Chicog

I suspect Putin has been reading his own intelligence reports about credible threats to his country, and realised he might have put his foot well and truly in it.

The way out for certain is a diplomatic solution excluding Assad, who can potter off to an Iranian resort to live out his days.

Then hopefully an inclusive government and army can re-establish stability in the country and cut the head off the IS snake.

The heads of the IS snake is Saudi and USA. Which head do you fancy cutting first?

I feel confident that Putin has little use for Assad but he doesn't want to rebuild Syria from the ground up and would like the Syrians to vote their choice if at all possible. It makes his job much easier and far cheaper in the long run.

There are rumblings that he wants to deal with Nazis in Russia. a strange agenda. There is even talk that he is planning to implement Holocaust Denial laws for that purpose. A strange twist for sure. Hard for me to believe but the picture changes regularly and anything is possible with the guy.

The heads of the IS snake is Saudi and USA. Which head do you fancy cutting first?

Inadvertently yes, but they are not running the show.

This appears to be a huge shift in Russian policy...me thinks Assad will escape to Russia for refuge and protection to avoid prosecution for inexcusable war crimes against his own people...

It is a bit puzzling as keeping Assad in power appeared to be THE goal of the Russians entering into the Syrian war...

This appears to be a huge shift in Russian policy...me thinks Assad will escape to Russia for refuge and protection to avoid prosecution for inexcusable war crimes against his own people...

It is a bit puzzling as keeping Assad in power appeared to be THE goal of the Russians entering into the Syrian war...

Seems Russia doesn't want him now. Off to Iran manybe??? I doubt he'll like it there. Zero power for him.

I think the latest Russian interventions in Syria were mostly for domestic consumption, I think he is ready to throw Assad under a bus. Interestingly after all the hype of Russian no fly zones Israeli jets hit targets in Syria the other day, there has been no Russian comment on this that I have found. I wonder who else Putin is preparing to throw under a bus?

I guess you're referring to the airstrikes reported on 30 October whereby Israel attacked Hezbollah and a Palestinian pro Syria faction.

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Report-Israeli-Air-Force-attacked-Hezbollah-targets-in-Syria-430616

Israel and Russia are acting like two lions on the African savanna.

Edited by simple1

Perhaps Putin remembers the butt kicking Russia got in Afghanistan and the years and money wasted there. Perhaps it's beginning to occur to him that he can't win this one either.

I know of no time in history when a guerrilla army was defeated on its own soil. Guerrillas are out of uniform and blending into the population. They also may feel they have a lot more to fight for. They are hard to get at without killing a lot of innocents even when they are identified.

That whole ME is a mess and I don't think the West can straighten it out short of turning it into a glass parking lot. To me it's been a lost cause so far...

Cheers.

it is not crucial for Assad to stay in power, that it is up to the Syrian people to decide.

Putin just realized that Syria is not like Georgia or Crimea where Putin controls the ground war and the danger to ISIL terrorism against Russian citizens is too real. As long as Russia keeps its Syrian naval base, Putin will make whatever deal he can with whomever to stay unmolested and continue as the region's largest arms dealer.