Auto lights

TheCruncher

I have a circuit of lights at the back of my house which I would like to switch on automatically during a certain time of the night.

First I thought to connect a photocell, which would switch them on when it gets dark, but it also means that they stay on till daylight returns. This would be an inconvenience because they are near the bedroom window. So that would mean I have to switch them off manually when I go sleep, and switch them on again during daytime otherwise the photocell will not work.

So i thought I connect a timer so they switch on at 7pm and off at 12am. But that would also mean that if I want to switch them on for some reason after 12am, this is not possible, unless I put the timer somewhere within reach, which is not convenient because of the size and shape of such a timer.

Is there a way around to achieve what I have in mind?

Yes.

Simply place a switch across the timer contacts on the end of a length of 2-core cable to somewhere convenient.

Of course once on you would have to turn them off at the switch.

Nothing to stop you adding the photo switch after the timer so they only come on at night.

I built this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845270-electrical-project-garden-lights-controller/ probably more than you need but should give some ideas.

It doesn't have the manual over-ride but that wouldn't be difficult to add.

Thanks will have a look at it.

Another thought. Are there any timers that are esthetic enough to place in open view inside the house, for example just above the switch on the wall, or that fit in such a cover plate?

With a bit of work I can move the switch so that it is the only switch on a 3 switch cover plate, so in that case i could even place the timer in the same junction box if they are small enough.

Archived