5.2 million tourists mostly Chinese are expected to visit Thailand in November-December

webfact

5.2 million tourists mostly Chinese are expected to visit Thailand in November-December

1621-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- About 5.2 million tourists mostly Chinese are expected to visit Thailand during November and December bringing the total number of incoming tourist for the whole year to 29.5 million, said tourism and sports deputy permanent secretary Ms Wannaseri Morakul on Thursday.

The number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand is steadily increasing and it is expected that their numbers for the whole year will increase to more than eight million which is above the targeted figures of 7.5-7.8 million, she added.

The number of tourists visiting Thailand for the whole year this year is expected to reach 29.5 million, about 700,000 above an earlier forecast of 28.8 million generating revenues totaling about 1.42 trillion baht – an increase of 20 billion baht from earlier forecast of 1.4 trillion baht.

For the first ten months of this year, 24.36 million tourists have visited the country representing a whopping increase of 24.75 percent compared to the same period last year. Chinese tops the biggest number of tourists followed by Malaysians and Japanese.

Ms Wannaseri attributed the increase of foreign tourists to the restoration of peace in the country coupled with tourism promotion measures and increased safety.

She disclosed that the tourism strategy for 2015-17 will focus on development of tourist destinations in eight clusters.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/5-2-million-tourists-mostly-chinese-are-expected-to-visit-thailand-in-november-december

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-05

Egypt effectively closed, Tunisia unsafe, Maldives in crisis, Bali airport closed yet again due to volcanic ash. So a few competitors are struggling and yet my industry sources say the high season is looking pretty ordinary with Chinese and Koreans the only bright lights ( at least to stem the losses and keep hotel doors open)

The Chinese are good solely for TATs figures little benefit to local and small operators.I hope the demographics change back to westerners.

I know some hotel owners in Chiang Mai and Rai and they are more than happy with the influx of Chinese. They rent motorbikes, book trips and just have a nice holiday and spend lot of cash. If you visit places like Pattaya or Phuket the story might be different, but who in their right mind go to these destinations anyway.

I'm sure that Chiang Mai will be overrun with hordes of Chinese tourists during Loi Krathong later the month. I'll have to be more careful driving my motorbike and watch out for more Chinese driving on the wrong side of the road or Chinese pedestrians stopping in the middle of the road. And of course I'll have to weave through the hordes around Traphae Gate at night....and hopefully they'll be some food left at the Sunday Night Markets since they seem to eat everything they can get their hands on. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Chinese tourists...I admit it.

The Chinese are good solely for TATs figures little benefit to local and small operators.I hope the demographics change back to westerners.

I know some hotel owners in Chiang Mai and Rai and they are more than happy with the influx of Chinese. They rent motorbikes, book trips and just have a nice holiday and spend lot of cash. If you visit places like Pattaya or Phuket the story might be different, but who in their right mind go to these destinations anyway.

Actually, a majority are on zero cost tours. They don't buy food outside where they are taken (and a lot is included in the package), they do a little bit of shopping, but only at designated places. And they are herded around like cattle and don't spend money with a normal local. Where they spend their money is tightly controlled. Usually by Chinese here.

I just went through Don Muang. It was ridiculous. Huge tour groups all over, leaders yelling on loud speakers. It was actually hard to navigate around them.

But I think large tour groups are disruptive, regardless of nationality.

As the chinese tourists just traveling in group tours the only benefit of this millions of "high quality tourists" is for the big hotel chains and big restaurants , but all the small business who had their customers with Europeans, Russians will loose all and sure also their business!

So keep on going with that strategy and you will sure not win in anyway way, just get another state of China! As politic is anyway on the way already!

I hope all the Chinese tourist destinations have installed squat toilets otherwise there will be real sh!t to clean up.

I think that's a fairly safe bet.

I've seen the odd squat toilet in Thailand...maybe 85% of them.

Archived