Australian beaten-up outside of South Pattaya Go-Go Bar

webfact

I was walking around last night for a couple of hours from around 9-11pm along Beach Rd Walking St Second Rd and then back thru Soi Boukow and I saw lots of really drunk guys wandering around.

It is amazing really that there isn't more violence considering how many people are wandering around with targets on their backs.

BTW I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about whether he was skipping the bill or not. Regardless he doesn't deserve to get beaten up but the thais here know they can beat a farang with little or no consequences so they do and make up any sort of story to cover their actions.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about whether he was skipping the bill or not.

Agree. Most likely just one draft, and they wanted/charge 160 Baht for it. He refused to get ripped off, which Oasis is well known for price wise and not just draft beers....and he left. No way to handle it any other way truth be told. You aren't going to get a "discount" from the "manager" or "owner", you will only be once again labeled a cheap <deleted> who doesn't understand business etc.. I admire his courage just leaving it to them to sort out. Of course in this instance, it didn't work out so well for him but I doubt it hurt much and he looks as healthy as most others out that time of night in Soi Bouikow.

Hello all. I'm 69 years old (I look 20) and love to drink until 4 a.m. Then again at 6 a.m. Anyhow, for some crazy reason I've decided to go to Pattaya and live my life!!! People call me a sexpat but my name is not pat!!! anyhow, this is what happens when you don't have a moral compass...let's not kid ourselves and say he went there for the beaches, or to learn Thai, or anything else....

BTW I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about whether he was skipping the bill or not.

Agree. Most likely just one draft, and they wanted/charge 160 Baht for it. He refused to get ripped off, which Oasis is well known for price wise and not just draft beers....and he left. No way to handle it any other way truth be told. You aren't going to get a "discount" from the "manager" or "owner", you will only be once again labeled a cheap <deleted> who doesn't understand business etc.. I admire his courage just leaving it to them to sort out. Of course in this instance, it didn't work out so well for him but I doubt it hurt much and he looks as healthy as most others out that time of night in Soi Bouikow.

Is it that hard to look at the price list before you order something ? That is not getting ripped off its stupidity by the buyer. If you order something you pay for it.. if you don't like the price you should have looked at how much it was. If you don't you only blame yourself and should pay up. Why should others pick up the bill for your stupidity. (different story if an other price is charged as is on the price list)

Hello all. I'm 69 years old (I look 20) and love to drink until 4 a.m. Then again at 6 a.m. Anyhow, for some crazy reason I've decided to go to Pattaya and live my life!!! People call me a sexpat but my name is not pat!!! anyhow, this is what happens when you don't have a moral compass...let's not kid ourselves and say he went there for the beaches, or to learn Thai, or anything else....

Hello all. I'm 69 years old (I look 20) and love to drink until 4 a.m

Yes, drink can have that effect.........and all the women are beauties as well, eh!

...definitely not a foreigner attacking him...

...but he should have paid his tab....maybe he was so far gone he did not even know where he was or what he was doing....

...a country that relies on tourism and foreigners should have developed some etiquette and social skills by now, though...

....maybe he did not even have any drinks.....only the people who were in the bar know...what does cost around 80 baht in a bar....

...etc...etc....

Is it that hard to look at the price list before you order something ? That is not getting ripped off its stupidity by the buyer. If you order something you pay for it.. if you don't like the price you should have looked at how much it was. If you don't you only blame yourself and should pay up. Why should others pick up the bill for your stupidity. (different story if an other price is charged as is on the price list)

I attempted to explain in a kind way that Oasis GoGo is well known for ripping people off with high prices on drinks, deceptive "happy hours" and "buy one, get one free" as well as over the top "barfines" and setting rules like "she can go after one AM" and said ladies asking for "2500 Baht" etc.. I'm sorry you didn't get the point. I don't look at prices or ask them when I go in a business I respect and is established. I don't need to. Blaming yourself for getting ripped off while has some merit, we aren't talking about anything less than a scamming brothel in a red light zone full of drunkards and slobs to go along with boyfriends and pimps of said "girls" dancing in same. The solution remains stop supporting their practices and/or be willing to stand up and fight, to death if need be, to finally get the message across that we aren't going to take it any more!

Another shirtless idiot with no respect for Thailand. He got what he deserved.

If you bothered watching the video you would have noticed he had a shirt on before he was attacked.

TV full of experts with no facts or no knowledge of what they are talking about.

His shirt looks like it has been ripped.

Is this really news worthy ?.

Are you Australian by any chance?
I really don't think his being Australian has a whole lot to do with this or that you can extrapolate a whole notional origin-based crime wave from it. (No, before you ask, I'm not Australian.) Edited by hawker9000

I've seen people try to skip on their bills all the time on Walking Street. Have a couple drinks, leave a (empty) cigarette pack on the table and claim you are going to the bathroom and never come back, or suddenly get a phone call and get up start walking away as though you are distracted and simply "forgot". I've seen people try to sneak their bins onto different tables or pretend that they were just moving to new table and "forgot" to take their bin cup with them.

I've seen "white guys" (young and old) try it and I've seen Indians try it. The waitresses are normally pretty good at keeping people honest, I've seen them chasing people down the street waving their bin cup and normally once they catch them the "skipper" suddenly remembers they "forgot" they were supposed to pay.

Yeah right. "Oh I forgot that when you go to a bar and have a couple of drinks, you are actually expected to pay for them." Makes you wonder how many times the same person has done the same thing in other bars and managed to get away with it. I have no doubt that more than a few of them do it deliberately and think "if I get caught I'll just pretend I was really drunk and "forgot" and then pay up".

There are a lot of people that seem to think if they get away with it once or twice then they should be allowed to do it every time.

perhaps people get used to paying for their drinks up front. Then they leave without a second thought.

I believe that at the Walkabout Bar in Phnom Penh each drink has to be paid for every time.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it always used to be the way in the UK, that one had to pay individually for each drink, due to the fact that it was in fact illegal to have a tab in a bar/pub (private clubs/hotels might be different).

Correct and very sensible way to go.

I attempted to explain in a kind way that Oasis GoGo is well known for ripping people off with high prices on drinks, deceptive "happy hours" and "buy one, get one free" as well as over the top "barfines" and setting rules like "she can go after one AM" and said ladies asking for "2500 Baht" etc.. I'm sorry you didn't get the point. I don't look at prices or ask them when I go in a business I respect and is established. I don't need to. Blaming yourself for getting ripped off while has some merit, we aren't talking about anything less than a scamming brothel in a red light zone full of drunkards and slobs to go along with boyfriends and pimps of said "girls" dancing in same. The solution remains stop supporting their practices and/or be willing to stand up and fight, to death if need be, to finally get the message across that we aren't going to take it any more!

Indeed I don't get it, you don't look at prices and blame the club if you think the prices are too high. I guess you don't have common sense. Also those ladies can ask whatever they want and if you don't like it you can go to an other club. If you cant afford stuff like this don't be angry with the club.

Shows the intelligence of posters, when you order a drink you agree to the price the club asks for it and if you haven't looked that the price list first your to blame yourself. Also if you agree to the price of a lady then you pay it you can't change a deal afterwards. I either look at a price list or don't moan when the price is high when I get the bill.

You are right about one thing.. you can stop supporting their practices and just don't go to that club, fighting is stupid because your the one who made the mistake to agree unseen to a price.

Could be just one drink for 160B.

ln a bar in Pattaya I had a bottle of Singha for 50B, then moved onto a go go bar & the same bottle cost 120B.

If you don't like the prices, either don't go in or just finish up your beer then leave.

Of course if you're drunk(stupid thing to do with all the sharks around)then you are not thinking logically.

Another shirtless idiot with no respect for Thailand. He got what he deserved.

If you bothered watching the video you would have noticed he had a shirt on before he was attacked.

TV full of experts with no facts or no knowledge of what they are talking about.

His shirt looks like it has been ripped.

'you would have noticed he had a shirt on before he was attacked'. He should have used what was left of it to hide that disgusting belly?

and in case you think I am a keyboard warrior, yes, I would have said it to his face, and have done likewise a few times.

Edited by possum1931

Police not taken action yet even though it's on video ,why? Because it's a Thai man attacking again ,Thai men are so brave when attacking old men or women but when it's a worthy opponent they need 5 friends to help

"Thai men are so brave ..."

Ridiculous racist nonsense. Single Thai men, including Ladyboys, rarely have a problem taking on a single opponent and farangs routinely attack foreigners in their own countries in groups/gangs. In any event, whether he was foreign or Thai, it would appear that the attacker in this case was an individual.

This notion that farang never get in fights unless they abide by some high moral code or the Marquess of Queensberry rules is beyond ridiculous. You're conjuring up some video game mythology or Chuck Norris silliness. People of all races and nationalities can act brave (or drunkenly stupid) or cowardly in similar numbers. Being white doesn't make you some superhero.

And of course only the bravest farang would dare to "assault" Thais on a message board under the cloak of anonymity.

Edited by Suradit69