Help, Need Someone Smarter Than Me

ChiangMaiThai

Okay, finally sort of got TT&T DSL. But it doesn't work 95% of the time. They say I need a new username and password. In the mean time I'm supposed to do this:

1. type 192.168.1.1 at address in ie

2. username : admin

3. password : ttt

4. at Tap home select configure chang vpi = 0 vci = 66

I saw the guy do it here so I know what they are talking about, but when you type the IP address into the address bar and hit return, you have the option of connecting (in which case it tries in vain to connect) or of staying off line(in which case it does nothing). Can someone enlighten me?

Basically, by typing in the IP address into IE you are supposed to gain access to the web based administration of your ADSL Router/Modem.

If your browser asks you to connect or not, it means that you are working offline in the browser.

The first thing you should do is check connectivity to the router.

At the command prompt type IPCONFIG

Do you have an IP address in the 192.168.1.X range? If not you are not getting an IP address from the DHCP server of the router.

type PING 192.168.1.1. Does it say reply or timeout?

If it says reply then you can see the router. If not check the cables.

If I were you; I'd get their ###### support team in there and have them make it work since you are paying them for their 5% service.

What I don't understand is whether I am supposed to be connected to the internet or not when I do this. I'm on dial up now and when I enter the IP address, I just get a Yahoo search results page.

When I'm not on dial up and I have the phone line running through the DSL modem, I just get the connect or stay offline option, neither of which lead anywhere.

Can you elaborate on the 'At the command prompt type IPCONFIG' statement?

I was told since 8:30am today that the guys would come out to help me. I called half a dozen times during the day to ask them to come out. But of course no one ever showed.

no yer probably not online when ya type 192.168.1.1 into IE, this is just the IP of the router, to get to the HTML config menu of it.

The IPconfig /all command shows yer IP, if yer on the same subnet (your IP address will be in the 192.168.1.X range) then you are being assigned a IP from the DHCP of the router. Which will not be the case if u cannot get into the HTML config for it.

It looks like either the routers shagged, or settings on yer computer maybe have u set with a static IP in which case a IP cannot be assigned by the DHCP on the router. Or maybe it isnt plugged in, switched on :o

Try to ping 10.0.0.1 at the command prompt, post the results.

laters

I think the support person is trying to talk you through a "first step" connectivity test. When this test succeeds, you will likely have access to the Internet.

All this is testing is whether your computer can properly communicate to the DSL modem, no further. If your computer can't talk to the DSL modem then there's no chance you can go further to use the Internet (until the problem is fixed).

Looks like the DSL modem address is 192.168.1.1. This is a particular kind of "private" address that can not be routed across the Internet. It is for local network use only. So you will not be able to get to this address of your DSL modem by using another dial-up service.

I'd say you need to make sure your Ethernet cable is correctly plugged into the right ports on both your computer and the DSL modem. Then reboot the computer (well I'm sure you've done that plenty of times). The DSL modem is then supposed to automatically give your computer a TCP/IP address, something like 192.168.1.xxx. This can be confirmed by opening a DOS window (Command Prompt) and typing " ipconfig " and then return.

So that's a little more information.

kenk3z

Check your IP

Start - Run - type in "cmd" (minus quotes)

at black screen type in "ipconfig" (minus quotes) and hit ENTER

You should see something like this

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.1.23

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Or something like it. The modem was either set with IP address 192.168.1.1 or that is the default setting - but seeing as da repair guy typed it in den assume it's good.

It's very important dat Ur IP address shows that U r on the same subnet as the DSL modem. An IP address is kinda like the telephone number of your computer and the subnet can be likened to (to simplify things) as the area code of Ur computer's phone number. In order for your computer and the DSL to connect or "talk" to each other they each need to have an IP address (phone #) in the same subnte (area code) if they don't it gets mroe comlicated.

So if your IP address starts with 192.168.1 and then any number between 1 and 255 then U r golden that means that Ur PC and DSL modem should be able to talk.

Trying pinging the DSL modem from your PC - ping is kinda like dialing the phone # to see if it rings. You can run ping from the command line (black screen) by typing in "ping 192.168.1.1". You should see something like this below.

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

If you see reply it's good that means you can at least dial the phone # of Ur DSL modem.

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

If not then something is wrong - check the cable maybe it's not plugged in correclty maybe it's bad - try another one.

The 1st step is to establish connectivity - unless that's done kenk3z is right - you need to get over this hurdle 1st.

It would help if you could provide Ur Modem manfuacture and also tell us if U have an LEDs labeled PWR, Sync, Activity.

Sorry for blabbin but U need to establish connectivity to da modem 1st. If you can verify that then post Ur status here again.

I appreciate all the advice. Glad to see this forum is filled with people smarter than me. Thismorning, DSL is working so I'm hesitant to change the settings from 33 to 66 as TT&T suggested.

I ran the checks that JJ suggested and everything looks good. My Ip address and Default Gateway are the same. But its not the IP address that TT&T told me to enter in the address bar...

When I enter this IP address in the address bar, its still the same old scenerio, but since DSL is working, maybe it doesn't matter.

I tried pinging the modem and it came back as JJ said except TTL was 128.

The modem is ZyXEL Prestige 630- the free TT&T number. There's two LED's. USB and ADSL. Both are lit up.

Oh, fogot about USB modems. The tips I put was for an Ethernet network where a modem is connected to a switch and everythign but it's relevant I think to what U have. Never did try troubleshooting USB before though. Try to be less dependent on these tech guys from TT&T as dey don't know that much more dan U. Go through Ur USB modem settings and take some screen shots of how it's configured now and print them out and keep dem handy. Some other quick tips.

If U can't get to any website go to DOS ("cmd" at the the Start - Run line) and type in "nslookup", It should return something like this:

Default Server: conductor.asianet.coth

Address: 203.144.255.72

That's a good sign.

at the > prompt, type in the name of a website type in the name of a website and see if it returns a number

If you get something like "default server cannot be found" when type in nslookup den U r modem may not be conencted to their network.

It all pretty much stops der if this is the case and U have to wait for them I guess