Smart TV Samsung v Toshiba

Manassas

Shopping for a new tv. I've been happy with Samsung's smarthub connectivity. But the salesgirl at Homepro was telling me that the new Toshiba's operating system had more options than the Samsung OS. I'm confused, partly on language but mostly because I'm not that tech savy. Can anybody explain simply what this is about? By the way, the Toshiba was cheaper.

Thanks

I'd recommend making your choice based on screen quality first and foremost - and any 'smart' functions are better and easier handled by an external box like an Apple TV, roku, or Minix android box which have properly designed interfaces and updates to fix bugs and further improve their useability.

I've bought one of each the past 2 years. Not smart TVs though. The internet options here are too limited and my connection speeds aren't very good. Others have better luck, but not me.

So, with regards to the TVs, I like the Samsung better. The interface is much better and easier to use. I think the displays are pretty similar, but overall, I like the Samsung better.

Get an extended warranty. Not much money and might save your bacon in a few years.

Perhaps the o/p was being shown one of the Toshiba's with built in Android - that ought to make the apps available more extensive by far? I saw one in a shop but still went for Samsung based on price and visual experience. Will plug my own Android box in it.

Thanks. I think that was what she was talking about. She said the Samsung had "OS" but the Toshiba had some other form of connection, perhaps android. I'm not sure that would make much difference.

What does an android box do and where do you get one?

Perhaps the o/p was being shown one of the Toshiba's with built in Android - that ought to make the apps available more extensive by far? I saw one in a shop but still went for Samsung based on price and visual experience. Will plug my own Android box in it.

Thanks. I think that was what she was talking about. She said the Samsung had "OS" but the Toshiba had some other form of connection, perhaps android. I'm not sure that would make much difference.

With Samsung o/s I understand you are restricted to the apps available in their app store. There are very few to choose from esp in Thailand that might interest me. By plugging in an Android device (lots of discussions about them on Thai Visa) you have the equivalent of all the Google play store apps available and any more you might wish to side install (unofficially) - there are loads of useful TV apps like Kodi, ThaiExpatTV and iLikeHD (latter two aren't free for English language). On a Toshiba with Android you might be able to install these as well, but I haven't got my hands on one and am unclear if there are any restrictions built into the system to avoid bricking it which I might expect - so an external device seems more safe bet to me? Anyway the Samsung looked better all around to me and that was the decider in my case.

I've bought one of each the past 2 years. Not smart TVs though. The internet options here are too limited and my connection speeds aren't very good. Others have better luck, but not me.

So, with regards to the TVs, I like the Samsung better. The interface is much better and easier to use. I think the displays are pretty similar, but overall, I like the Samsung better.

Get an extended warranty. Not much money and might save your bacon in a few years.

Perhaps if paying 100k an extended warranty might be reasonable - but for normal purchase quality/price it would be spending your hard earned bacon for grains of sand IMO. These are huge money makers for sales staff as almost never payout even a fraction of the cost. And even if required in most cases items such as TV will be so far behind the curve that you would not want to take the time to fix and no longer worth watching or have any real value.

Perhaps if paying 100k an extended warranty might be reasonable - but for normal purchase quality/price it would be spending your hard earned bacon for grains of sand IMO. These are huge money makers for sales staff as almost never payout even a fraction of the cost. And even if required in most cases items such as TV will be so far behind the curve that you would not want to take the time to fix and no longer worth watching or have any real value.

I hear ya! I got a 28k TV, got a warranty for not much. It got some lines on it after 2 years. Repair guy said it needed a new screen, some 14k. Luckily, had a warranty, they gave me 12k and used it to buy a new TV! So worked out great!

• 2 weeks later...

Fortune town is where you'll easily find them (no surprise there) - and i'd recommend Minix x8-h Plus (I've got the X8).

It's Android (or you can get a Windows version Minix Z64 (?), so any google play apps can be installed.. all the usual. youtub, apps to cast from your ipad or samsung to the TV and so on.

It is designed to be able to stream HD video (4k in fact, not that that is of any use in thailand yet) either wirelessly or ethernet or from an attached USB drive.

It runs Kodi, which used to be called XBMC,

I choose to use Plex instead - this streams all my tv shows and fims from an upstairs NAS drive (which runs the Plex server) without any need for transcoding, handles subttitles, updates watched status and there are apps for ipads etc so you can watch either or both.... and can be setup to steam to you over the internet if you're away from home.

It is then only a small step to fall down the rabbit hole that is "Sickbeard" , usenet servers and other joyful things.

Google will let you know what these are so useful for.

All my shows update automagically complete with subtitles for the wife, is the short version.