Books Where To Ship To?

Jared

Hi

I need to buy some books from amazon.com, ive already done a search and read some previous topics about getting books to thailand and I know know my best options. What I would like to know is where should i get the books shipped to and where is the safest place so that they dont go missing. Should i get them ship to the apartment im currently renting. Can i get them shipped to a local post office and collect them from there? Or could i get them shipped to my wifes parents address which is a property that they own. I currently live in Korat. Ive never even seen a postman so i dont know how the postage works over here.

Thanks

Good question. I was thinking just today about ordering an electronic item from Amazon. I might use my wife's name on the mailing address just to make sure it's not identified as a 'farang' item.

So far I haven't had trouble where I live, but I haven't ordered electronics from Amazon before while living here. No problem with books, though.

Every town is different. Sorry I can't comment on Korat.

How do you get your mail now? Does your mailman deliver? Do you know him and does he know you? If so, go ahead with the home delivery, if its a bigger package you will get a notice to pick up your package at the post office. If its small, he should deliver it himself.

If you don't get your mail delivered to your home then I would perhaps go for the parents house, esp if they have been there a long time. Their mailman is sure to know them.

Books dont' have duty so that shouldn't be a problem.

brit is right as usual, but there is a limit to how many can be sent in for free. I believe that it is up to $150. US worth of books are not taxable.

If one brings books into the country in large quantities (a bookshop for example) the tax is quite high on both used and new books.

brit is right as usual, but there is a limit to how many can be sent in for free. I believe that it is up to $150. US worth of books are not taxable.

If one brings books into the country in large quantities (a bookshop for example) the tax is quite high on both used and new books.

Yes, Thailand is about the only country I know that charges duty on books in any quantity, but it's true that at some level of value they do attract very high duty here. I've never heard the figure of USD150 as the breakpoint in value before duty is charged, but that well might be it.

I can only add that duties claimed on shipments that I know about have always been...uh, negotiable. The 'fee' actually paid, generally in lieu of duty, has ended up in the neighborhood of 10% of the amount of duty charged.

Hi

I need to buy some books from amazon.com, ive already done a search and read some previous topics about getting books to thailand and I know know my best options. What I would like to know is where should i get the books shipped to and where is the safest place so that they dont go missing. Should i get them ship to the apartment im currently renting. Can i get them shipped to a local post office and collect them from there? Or could i get them shipped to my wifes parents address which is a property that they own. I currently live in Korat. Ive never even seen a postman so i dont know how the postage works over here.

Thanks

I have been receiving regular parcels of academic texts from Amazon delivered to a P.O. Box for two years. Totally reliable & safe.

I don't know the customs policy or law, but I will tell you my experience. I am not claiming you would have the same experience, but at least it is one more data point you can use to make your shipping decision.

I have had books shipped from the U.S. to Thailand using Amazon and have not had a problem. I did not ship the books to a person with a Thai name. I just used my own.

I had several orders shipped to my serviced apartment four years ago without problem.

Recently, I had several orders shipped to my current apartment. I have never been charged a tax. At least one shipment was valued at a few hundred dollars (expensive mathematics texts).

Of course, it is possible that someone can steal the books. But, I was able to use the on-line UPS tracking system to track the books right up to the time they were signed for at my apartment. I imagine there is some accountability (on the part of UPS) since this tracking system would reveal exactly where the books were stolen and who was responsible.

I have also brought in books through the airport. In one case, I brought in four book boxes of books. They probably contained more than 120 books (total). They are for personal use, but it was never even checked.

About a year ago, I brought in a box of books through the airport. They x-rayed the box as I went through the final check. They asked me what was in the cardboard box. I told them it was books. They didn't open the box.

Shipping time decision: It can take a long time to get the books from Amazon if you order on low priority. In one case, they quoted eight weeks. I had to order a second copy using a higher priority because I needed the book quickly but I was unable to cancel the original order. The high priority shipping added 25% to the price, but it cut the shipping time to about four days.

-q

Edited by quadricorrelator

I had one sucessful shipment of a 2gb Memory Stick Duo from and EBAY auction, seller in Hong Kong. That was about 6 months ago. This was shipped to my gf's condo. (Saved a couple thousand baht btw.)

About 5 years ago, I had a pair of headphones shipped to me, that were being repaired under warrenty. The post man required me to pay $20 duty on (or they would trash them).

About 5 years ago, I had a pair of headphones shipped to me, that were being repaired under warranty. The post man required me to pay $20 duty on (or they would trash them).

That's insane! Were you able to explain that the shipment was for the warranty repair, not a new purchase? I've never heard of customs duty on repaired items like this.

Sounds like it was extortion. Where in Thailand were you located then?