Buying a Business Visa & One Year Extension of Stay - Legal?

Let's say a friend of mine was one of those guys who was paying to have an "ED" visa without actually attending school. With the "ED" visa crackdown he was forced to find an alternative and found a school that was willing to "hire" him as a teacher without actually having to work. They would provide him with a business visa and a one year extension of stay in exchange for a fee.

He was told everything was completely legitimate since all paperwork must go through the labor office as well as immigration and only THEY could be the ones to approve all the documentation for the visa.

They also said that the reason this was legal was because immediately upon being hired the company would place him under "Personal Business Leave" which is governed by section 34 of the "Labor Protection Act" giving the employer complete discretion as to how much time an employee is allowed to take "personal leave" for. (If you need a year - take a year!)

My friend agreed, paid the fee, and was provided with documentation to go to Laos and apply for a 3-month business visa. He came back, applied for a work permit, received it, and then applied for a one year extension of stay based on work which was also granted.

My questions are:

Is this actually legal? Could this potentially be the next way for foreigners (who don't need to work) to live here on a long term basis? How long before the "Business Visa Crackdown" comes along? Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

• Like 1

"Business Visa". Last time I looked, Business Visas were only issued to investors willing to invest very large amounts of money in Thailand. I doubt, that the school will will buy 25 condos on behalf of the OP.

OP & school may be mixing up Thai Business-Visa with Cambodian Business Visa. An entirely different thing.

Cheers.

• Like 1

"Business Visa". Last time I looked, Business Visas were only issued to investors willing to invest very large amounts of money in Thailand. I doubt, that the school will will buy 25 condos on behalf of the OP.

OP & school may be mixing up Thai Business-Visa with Cambodian Business Visa. An entirely different thing.

Cheers.

A business visa is what you apply to work here, as a teacher or else.

Probably fraudulent and you are not the brightest person posting it on here, is it any wonder some visas now have stricter requirements? The Government DO read this forum

As for how long the next "Business Visa Crackdown" will be. well not long after posts like yours

The stupidity of some people is mind boggling

Stricter requirements doesn't stop legitmate visa applicants from obtaining the visa's they are seeking - it is, in my opinion, to stop the ones that aren't legitimate.

If I can be of assistance to the government by letting government officials know of potential loop holes in their system and giving them a heads up on what might be next then I'm glad to be of service.

It isn't very nice to call people stupid.

• Like 2

I could hazard a guess at the total cost and am surprised anyone would pay so much to stay here, not to mention tax and social security that will also need paying. The documentation for an extension based on a WP from employees is quite extensive and as he isn't "working" could only be counterfeit to say the least hence making it an illegal process.

Probably fraudulent and you are not the brightest person posting it on here, is it any wonder some visas now have stricter requirements? The Government DO read this forum

As for how long the next "Business Visa Crackdown" will be. well not long after posts like yours

Stricter requirements doesn't stop legitmate visa applicants from obtaining the visa's they are seeking - it is, in my opinion, to stop the ones that aren't legitimate.

If I can be of assistance to the government by letting government officials know of potential loop holes in their system and giving them a heads up on what might be next then I'm glad to be of service.

"Your friends" way of getting a visa is not legit and yes it does stop people getting legit visas, people boasting about how they are getting under the table or questionable visas on public forums are the exact reason why it is now more difficult to obtain legit visas, Tourist and ED Visas being case in point

So posting it on the most widely read forum in Thailand and a site that Government and Immigration officials read IS stupidity

But don't worry you are not alone, plenty of other posters are just as silly

• Like 1

"Your friends" way of getting a visa is not legit and yes it does stop people getting legit visas, people boasting about how they are getting under the table or questionable visas on public forums are the exact reason why it is now more difficult to obtain legit visas, Tourist and ED Visas being case in point

So posting it on the most widely read forum in Thailand and a site that Government and Immigration officials read IS stupidity

Haven't you heard assumptions are a dangerous thing? tongue.png ... But now that we're on the same page, I completely agree with you. That would be idiotic. Are there actually people doing that here?

And I apologize in advance for my ignorance but are there actually REAL tourists or students that are unable to acquire their respective visas because of the new requirements? If so, I'm sorry for your misfortune. sad.png

I had genuine question and began the post as a hypothetical example. Maybe I know someone in that position, maybe I don't. You can make all the assumptions you wish that still doesn't give you the right to call names. sad.png ​Responds like yours make people shy away from asking questions that may or may not help other people.

And people PLEASE stop sending me private messages about how to do this! Thanks! I wish I could help but I can't. sad.png

• Like 1

I can see how people on Ed visas not attending classes would lead to the Ed-visa crackdown, but I am missing the connection on how someone buying a B-visa, via fraud, affects people on TVs or EdVisas ?? In fact, this is exactly the behavior I would expect to see in reaction to making the other options more difficult - not the other way around.

• Like 1

Troll.

Haven't you heard assumptions are a dangerous thing? tongue.png ... But now that we're on the same page, I completely agree with you. That would be idiotic. Are there actually people doing that here?

And I apologize in advance for my ignorance but are there actually REAL tourists or students that are unable to acquire their respective visas because of the new requirements? If so, I'm sorry for your misfortune. sad.png

I had genuine question and began the post as a hypothetical example. Maybe I know someone in that position, maybe I don't. You can make all the assumptions you wish that still doesn't give you the right to call names. sad.png ​Responds like yours make people shy away from asking questions that may or may not help other people.

And people PLEASE stop sending me private messages about how to do this! Thanks! I wish I could help but I can't. sad.png

You"re obviously clueless as you keep contradicting yourself, a genuine question as a hypothetical example? Please

Just carry on posting your "hypothetical" questions and messing it up for everyone else, Well done

I can see how people on Ed visas not attending classes would lead to the Ed-visa crackdown, but I am missing the connection on how someone buying a B-visa, via fraud, affects people on TVs or EdVisas ?? In fact, this is exactly the behavior I would expect to see in reaction to making the other options more difficult - not the other way around.

Because people abusing the system on any visa leads to stricter rules for other visa types and people openly admitting it as I have seen on here on numerous occasions leads to those stricter requirements

Rules are being tightened for many visas, not just Tourist and ED, They may not be major changes but they are being tightened

Openly admitting to abusing visas on a public forum is just plain stupidity and affects everyone in the long run,

Edited by darrendsd

I have a follow up question...

What about some of the Thai law firms selling business visas online? Are they fraudulent as well? I couldn't imagine this being so as they openly advertise this on their websites.

Have they found a loophole in the system as far as obtaining as business visa is concerned? Could this also be the case with a WP?

Thanks for all the feedback guys! All of you have been really helpful with darrends being the exception. So much negative from that guy. sad.png

Edited by JPDiaz85
  • Like 1

Why has the post not been removed knowing the government read the forums ?

1. Foreigner needs permission to stay in Thailand.

2. Foreigner tires of visa runs and regular trips to Penang, Vientiane, etc.

3. Foreigner seeks better solution.

4. Legal services firm/agent sees a market.

5. Legal services firm/agent works with govt. officials to plot a path and fee structure to provide a service to this market.

6. Marketing begins and revenue flows in.

7. Word gets out and the market grows.

8. Other immigration areas, Ministry of Education areas, Labour Dept. areas cotton on.

9. Scheme gets bigger and bigger, scheme organisers get bolder and bolder, more risks are taken, more corners are cut.

10. Murmurings of displeasure from senior figures quickly become policy changes/crackdowns on the ground.

11. Within a few months, the scheme has pretty much ceased to exist.

12. The next bright idea comes along.

Houston, Hull, Ed visa, endless exempt entries, APEC cards, etc.

This answers just about any question I could ever have on the topic. Thanks!

What about some of the Thai law firms selling business visas online? Are they fraudulent as well? I couldn't imagine this being so as they openly advertise this on their websites.

Have they found a loophole in the system as far as obtaining as business visa is concerned? Could this also be the case with a WP?

Thanks for all the feedback guys! All of you have been really helpful with darrends being the exception. So much negative from that guy. sad.png

Not being negative just pointing out that your stupidity in posting on a public forum about how to get around the Visa Rules,

I have no problem in what you are proposing to do, good luck to you if it keeps you here but openly admitting to it? Mind boggling

Cheers.

Yes,

The crackdown on Non B visais happened about 7 months ago and visas are continullay being examined to stop practices like this.

ED visa crackdown is already happening according to a friend of mine. Immigration officials actually questioned him in Thai on re-entry twice. Now I think if you get a working visa they will eventually come to the school you teach at and look.

Edited by beerzy

I hve riend whos a solicitor and they do visas amongst other legal areas. He openly admitted to me they look for loopholes and target them.

I hve riend whos a solicitor and they do visas amongst other legal areas. He openly admitted to me they look for loopholes and target them.

There is nothing "illegal" associated with looking for Legal loopholes.

Those who benefit from such "loopholes" should refrain from squealing when the "loopholes" are plugged.

Cheers.

A business visa is what you apply to work here, as a teacher or else.

One of us 2 must be "death wrong" concerning this.smile.png

Cheers.

ED visa crackdown is already happening according to a friend of mine. Immigration officials actually questioned him in Thai on re-entry twice. Now I think if you get a working visa they will eventually come to the school you teach at and look.

And what they ask me at the border when i say i study english ???