Bird Watching

Hornell

I have a couple of friends coming to Thailand end Jan/early Feb next year, who are both keen bird watchers. We are going to be in the north - Chiang mai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Kong and the Mekong areas. Can anyone advise on birding in any of these areas or put me on to someone who knows? Grateful for any help.

Oh, I get it.... B.I.R.D. Beautiful Issan Retired Divorcee.......or maybe B.I.R.D. Bad Issan Roudy Daughter

Or perhaps the lesser-known secretive underground club B.I.R.D. Bondage Island Rented Debauchery

tricky, tricky....but nothing gets past PK

coffee1.gif

isanbirder..the number one birder in Thailand. Give him a pm. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/229372-birdwatching-in-isan/page-28

Thanks, khwaibah, but totally undeserved and totally untrue!

I haven't lived in Chiangmai for several years, so I don't know the people there. But you will find a lot if you google Birding in Chiangmai or Birding in Chiangrai.

If you're in the Chiangrai area, your main birding area is likely to be Chiangsaen Lake.

I'm sure others can give much more help than I can.

Chiang Dao for Giant Nuthatch and Mrs Hume's Pheasant - Malee's guest House - Malee will arrange transport up the mountain. A walk up to the temple near Malee's can be good as can the fields if you walk from Malee's to the caves. Plenty of good stuff on the lower slops as well. The paddy fields around Chiang Dao are good.

Doi Inthanon - - Mr Daeng's - can arrange guide and a good place for birders to stay - half way up the mountain. There is an excellent small park in the hill tribe village near Mr Daeng's - I have done very well there with passerines and BOPs every time I have visited.

Plenty of other places out toward San Khampaeng hot springs and further out at the waterfall.

In CM I always go to the lake area in the CM Uni grounds and the arboretum just below the Zoo but Doi Suthep can be OK - I prefer to go past the temple to the park itself and around the palace area.

The Queen Sikirit gardens can be OK.

End Jan and Feb are good for migrant passerines - been a slow start this year for the migration.

There are major wetlands within striking distance of Chiang Rai in the Mekong flood plain area - - that others are far more knowledgeable than I am.

I have only been birding in the CM area for the last six years so I am sure there many others that know more.

If you have specific species to target I may be able to help - pm me if you wish.

post-61254-0-83768200-1447237017_thumb.j

Edited by Mousehound