Norwegian man arrested after ammunition found in luggage at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I left Afghanistan to fly to Costa Rica, I flew from Dubai-> London-> Miami-> San Jose. Once I got to Costa Rica, I realized that I had 15 x 9mm bullets in a pouch in my patrol pack. Oops. Luckily for me nobody saw them on the scanner.. I shouldn't have used my patrol pack for vacation.

Yes JAG,live and blanks were carried together. There is a huge difference between the two so you couldn't get it wrong. These rounds were not my go to rounds, just left overs from various shoots etc. I would still go to the ammo box for reloads. As far as the range rules went, we actually had our own range and kill house and the rules were somewhat relaxed as most of us were qualified Range Officers so we just took turns at running the shoot, and it was fairly loose. Granted your General Duties Police were a tad more stricter and everything was a lot more formal, but still ammunition was was not accountable. For the qualifying shoots every few months, they would just turn up on duty already fully armed, blast away for a couple of hours, and then resume duty fully armed, without anyone really caring how many rounds each individual shot or was responsible for. Completely different to Military shoots where you have the 'yes sir, no sir' stuff. Not sure if the OP is actually on active duty in the Norwegian Police as a Trainee or still in training, and without knowing their procedures, it is hard to make a call. All I'm saying it can be an oversight on his part. In this day and age, probably an oversight that you don't want to make. Cheers.

Does all this "Big Balls" nonsense really have anything to do with the the guy caught with 2 rounds of ammunition at the airport- nah! didn't think so.

can someone explain how can someone 'accidentally' put two bullets in a bag?

Possibility - Policeman shoots at a shooting range, empties cartridge box in his jacket pocket, forgets to take the last 2 cartridges out of the pocket before he packs his bag. Easy. wink.png

Saw a guy in a TV - Airport smugglers series production - having one live ammunition cartridge with him which was in a transit airport detected.

He wanted to make the cartridge attached to a chain to wear on his neck in his home country so he said.

Same - bigger problems in that country - airport too. rolleyes.gif

In Norway Police Ammo is not counted 'out' and 'in'? Police cadets are allowed to 'lose' 2 bullets? no supervision for cadets at the shooting range? no storekeeper tallying ammo? REALLY???

I am no expert but it seems to be a very harsh punishment for carrying 2 bullets .

yes, especially seeing as how he is a police officer. clearly just an oversight on his part. but he's a foreigner, so let's make it into an international incident.

I guess you are trying to say that in Norway Police don't account for ammunition? taking ammo onto a flight is only an 'oversight' for Norway Police?

you are putting words into my mouth. no, that's not what i said. at any rate, what are you trying to say?

have you ever possessed firearms and ammunition, and actually used them? anybody who has done a lot of shooting will probably have hundreds or thousands of rounds lying around. i certainly did

. have you ever gone to a firing range and expended several hundred rounds of ammo? (very easy to do) i certainly did.

and do you think every round is meticulously accounted for?

what do you think this guy was going to do with 2 9mm rounds? start world war 3?

No but 2 rounds could bring down an aircraft @ 30,000 feet if a way was found to explode them

aircraft are being lost where have you been??? you think it's ok? wow

I'm not suggesting for one minute the intention was to take these on board but your "mai pen rai' attitude to aircraft safety is AMAZING

Putting bullets in passengers suitcases is also a new scam i read last week. The airportsecurity does it on the Phillipine airports to extort passengers.

This is what I think because it seems incredible that security missed this at Oslo airport, especially in Europe they are very vigilant in case of terrorism now. And why 2 bullets, for what purpose? Doesn`t make sense.

When I left Afghanistan to fly to Costa Rica, I flew from Dubai-> London-> Miami-> San Jose. Once I got to Costa Rica, I realized that I had 15 x 9mm bullets in a pouch in my patrol pack. Oops. Luckily for me nobody saw them on the scanner.. I shouldn't have used my patrol pack for vacation.

The military teaches responsibility?

Putting bullets in passengers suitcases is also a new scam i read last week. The airportsecurity does it on the Phillipine airports to extort passengers.

Yes it happens quite often in the Manila Airport.

When I say "often", it means that I read it happened at least 30 times in the past year.

Out of 34 million passengers who passed through the airport, that's not a very high risk, but still its useful to know this scam exists.

This is what I think because it seems incredible that security missed this at Oslo airport, especially in Europe they are very vigilant in case of terrorism now. And why 2 bullets, for what purpose? Doesn`t make sense.
For what purpose - maybe none , have you or did you consider an oversight? - nah! too simplistic

Possibility - Policeman shoots at a shooting range, empties cartridge box in his jacket pocket, forgets to take the last 2 cartridges out of the pocket before he packs his bag. Easy. wink.png

Saw a guy in a TV - Airport smugglers series production - having one live ammunition cartridge with him which was in a transit airport detected.

He wanted to make the cartridge attached to a chain to wear on his neck in his home country so he said.

If you think that is what happened I can only say he is some dumb assed policeman then! Glad he doesn't work in my country. whistling.gif

mind its well know scam, its pretty much well know and going on in philipines airport, they just drop bullet in ur bags and demand moneys to be paid to solve prob. quick. If u dont they will hold you few days. It came to light recent incident in philipines when religious guy refused to pay up cuz rligion not allowed him to lie, they holded him week or something. Xmass comming u get me

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/passengers-targeted-in-a-bullet-scam-by-staff-at-manila-airport/story-fn6yjmoc-1227598822524

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/philippine-airport-bullet/2247638.html

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/31530/beware-of-philippine-airport-staff-stuffing-bullets-into-luggage-to-extort-money-vietnamese-ambassador

Edited by BeefSlapper

I read the same, it has huge publicity now in the Philippines and people are fighting back. Apparently the scam can happen either in the taxi on the way to the airport, or the porter putting your luggage on a trolley or worse in the baggage handling area which would explain why he was not stopped in Norway.

I would think it more likely then not that this is another disgusting scam to make us all feel even more welcome then we already are.

I hope that this guy is simply let free and can go onto enjoying his holiday in Phuket. If not, I fear the publicity will spread about this scam very, very quickly. That would be yet another nail in the coffin for the long term tourist industry in Thailand.

So, guess we should all be alert now because these thieving baskets will do something as disgusting as this to get their hands on your hard earned cash. Very, very worrying.

In Norway Police Ammo is not counted 'out' and 'in'? Police cadets are allowed to 'lose' 2 bullets? no supervision for cadets at the shooting range? no storekeeper tallying ammo? REALLY???

Nobody said - to my knowledge the ammunition was a "Police Ammo"

Nobody said the shooting was a official Police training day.

Could be, the young policeman,

has the right to take his gun to a shooting range facility of his choice and shoots rounds by himself. no?blink.png

For what purpose - maybe none , have you or did you consider an oversight? - nah! too simplistic

You are right, for most people it`s second nature to carry 2 bullets with them wherever they go.

Can you all please stop the scam theory now ? As a Norwegian I can confirm what Norwegian media reports , he admitted he forgot about that the bullets was in the bag . And somehow the bag was scanned at Oslo airport but they did not detect the bullets , that's actually quite serious. But not a scam , he can only blame himself.

"And somehow the bag was scanned at Oslo airport but they did not detect the bullets , that's actually quite serious"

I think you meant "common".

Does Sweden have a FOIA?

Can you request to see data on how many times " testers" snuck prohibited articles onboard in their luggage?

I seriously doubt you can. Sweden doesn't want you to know that uhhh...deficiency in their ultra-modern and "efficient" system.

Can you all please stop the scam theory now ? As a Norwegian I can confirm what Norwegian media reports , he admitted he forgot about that the bullets was in the bag . And somehow the bag was scanned at Oslo airport but they did not detect the bullets , that's actually quite serious. But not a scam , he can only blame himself.

But it's a scam to bill him 80,000 baht for the oversight.

"....maximum punishment of a two year custodial sentence or a fine of 80,000 THB."

What leads you to believe he would receive the maximum fine? Or that he wouldn't be incarcerated?

Edited by halloween

I am no expert but it seems to be a very harsh punishment for carrying 2 bullets .

2 bullets is sufficient for a derringer that may be carried by somebody else. . A .22 to the base of the skull is still lethal .

just saying .

2 bullets is sufficient for a derringer that may be carried by somebody else. . A .22 to the base of the skull is still lethal .

just saying .

That's assuming someone could smuggle a deringer on board initially and why would you need 2 people involved - seems like a senseless post - just saying.