Possible to change immigration office

Nope...you don't get to pick and choose...you must use the office assigned for your province. It's kinda like for me in that I live in Bangkok and must use the Chaeng Wattana office for extension of stay renewals, etc., although there are two other offices I can use in Bangkok for the 90 day report (I can't do my online).

Anway, I live in western Bangkok and the Nanthaburi Province office which borders on Bangkok is much, much closer to where I live in Bangkok...but I can't use it...I must use a Bangkok office since I live in Bangkok.

Pretty much thought that was the answer, but thought I would ask.

Today I went to immigration for my 4th one year extension. They said I had to have a printout of the Thai baht exchange rate in order for them to convert my income letter to Thai baht. Never ask for before.

I didn't bring the wife's housing book and they needed today. Last year we did not bring and no problem. Bottom line I make a second trip tomorrow and we live an hour or more away.

I have reported or confirmed my address 6 times this year already. Four through 90 day reporting. Bought a motor bike middle of year and had to go to embassy for an address confirmation in order to complete purchase. Cost me $50. Now in order to take the driving test for the motor bike I had to go to the embassy again. Another $50.

Wife talks about getting a yellow book. Just wonder if that would make life easier?

Wife talks about getting a yellow book. Just wonder if that would make life easier?

Yes it probablly would. I got a Yellow Book within two weeks of arriving Thailand numerous years ago. I've bought a vehicle, opened many bank accounts, got drivers licenses, etc., and when presenting that Yellow Book I've never-ever been asked for a residency certificate as a Yellow Book is a basically address registration issued by the Thai govt. Seems when folks see a Yellow Book they feel more comfortable in opening or issuing whatever thing your are after.

• Like 1

The yellow book would solve your problems. It's been reported that it's easy to get in some district offices and others can be as bad or worse than some immigration offices. I tried about 8 years ago and after making two trips to Bangkok to get Embassy and MFA certified documents, the clerk in the office said that they were fake despite all of the multicoloured stamps all over the things. The village chief took me aside and told me we should come back after the clerk retired in a couple of months as "her elevator didn't go all the way to the top". She was the aunt of the young man in charge and he would not overrule her.

I never went back and have used the first two pages of an expired work permit to provide proof of address when required. I recently used it to renew my 5 year driver's license and then used the driver's license for proof of address for my retirement extension. Residence certificates are available at my immigration office for 500 baht.

If you want to change offices I'm open to subletting you one of my unused pig pens and you can use the Nakhon Sawan office. It'll probably work for a retirement extension but if it's a marriage extension, home visits might be a problem!