Thai officials to slash number of foreign English teachers

webfact

Yes, the Thai teacher stating to loose face.

So the only option for Thais is to eliminate the competition. Since this is thailand and no one is facing the music, what easier way to just kill the band.

Politics never cares about education only power. How to stay in power? Make the people happy. Promise them something .

Set the date in the near future. Aaaaaaaaaaand voilà you have nice obidient people how give a flying .

They do care for education, they just rewrote the history books. Its great to teach the masses how it really happened in history and very benificial for politicians. In the end, the history books are always right!

Are you nuts?

Thai history books have always been favorable to the current admins views on how history needs to be taught. It is not based on factual occurrences in most cases. It's biased and one sided leaving no room to form your own opinions. You should actually look and try to teach history using their books before you make such a uninformed comment.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to see this announcement today since it coincides with the end of the long availability of the double (and also the triple) tourist visas .

Thailand is essentially replacing them with the METV that now forces foreigners to leave and return to their own country in order to get one.

If this report is correct foreigners under 50, not married to a Thai, but looking to work in Thailand even less Visas will be issued and the net result is less foreigners staying long term in Thailand.

Its not clear if this is just part of a longer term political trend or just coincidental and is really a money saving scheme.

If its political then which of the other Visas will be next to have changes limiting the time or opportunity for foreigners to remain here over the longer term.

What will be next for us foreigners left living in Thailand? If I had crystal ball I could tell you, but alas my dear Baldrick I don't.

Well, at least it would clear out all the rejects, the sad dreamers, the fiddlers, the groomers, the military fantasists, the 'I love Thailand' sycophants, the KSU graduates, the sandal wearing misfits, the drunks, the deadbeats, the dopey backpacking bozo's, the tattooed beach bums, the 'I do all my own washing' smelly tramps, and the 'my 18 year old girlfriend is not a bar-girl' sex-pats.

Heheeee keep dreaming! The article said they were trying to cut costs which more than likely means they will be offering less money which in turn will only attract all those people you quoted about.

Just seen a report. Out of 43,000 Thai teachers. Only 6 were fluent in English!

Heard it was actually only 5, the 6th was a passing cleaning lady who got accidentally caught up in the melee.......................blink.png

I guarantee the girls down on Sukhumvit could do much better

I must admit I didn't read ALL the replies, but from the few I did, I guess most respondents are English teachers....

I also admit I didn't do nor intend to do any research on the subject, but just my thoughts and observations:

1. Thailand is NOT the only country in the world that has its own language - I am not going to list all those countries

2. Thai people are NOT the only people who are not proficient in English - I had difficulties communicating in English in France and Germany, and I am not talking science talk - I am talking about asking driving direction in Germany or direction to the right train platform in France... In both places not in a small remote village, but in BIG cities, and not only elderly people, I was actually trying to ask young people who seemed to be students. BTW - the only person in the French train station who was able to answer my question was the toilets attendant!!! Even in the US of A - it's getting harder and harder to get around if you don't speak Spanish...

3. I am pretty sure that in MOST countries in the world, the foreign language teachers (be it English or any other) are locals, and not imported teachers.

4. I don't think that in the 10 or so years that foreign English have been widely employed all over the country, the level of English of the Thai students has improved to actually support the idea that foreign teachers are any better than the Thai teachers - now I can already imagine some of the TV members' responses to this like "the students are not listening to us" or "they are not interested" or "the school administrations / regulations / local teachers / janitors restrict our success"

Face it. This is Thailand. The official language is Thai. All documents are and will probably ALWAYS be in Thai. There are about 65 million Thais. Not all of them, not even most of them will ever NEED to interact in any other language. The ASEAN threat that Thais are going to lose their jobs if they can't master English? B******it. There have been import / export in Thailand for years. Who ever need to, find the way to communicate.

Hopefully they will get rid of the trashy teachers trying to teach English when English is not their first language. Half the time I can't even understand when the Filipino English teachers at my son's school try to talk to me in English.

I've found many British and American "native" speakers difficult to understand as well.

Movies that try to be trendy and "authentic" are horribly unintelligible too.

I can see Thailand asking ASEAN to carry on without it for another 2 - 5 years or so while it gets its act together.

Only 2-5 years?????? are you joking?

Thailand has just set another 2 generations of it's people to walk aimlessly on the streets!

The ASEAN train has already left the station and the Thais have neither packed their bags nor paid for their ticket!

I wish I could read what is being said in Thai newspapers.

I wish I could listen to and understand what Thais are talking about on the streets.

The LOS now has a very thin veneer that is looking more like the LOWFAD (worried, fatigued and demoralized)

I wish i could ask the government if they have made this decision based on a similar action taken by another nation and then ask how successful it was!

P.S. ... and of course it's technically illegal to teach English online from your home on your computer to a student in China (or Thailand, or anywhere else) and have the money sent to your bank in the U.S. but that money in Thailand is quite welcome - some of which goes to property taxes, airport taxes, road tolls, bribes, ... ... ... the finance minister needs to call the immigration minister and teach him two English words: common sense.

I must admit I didn't read ALL the replies, but from the few I did, I guess most respondents are English teachers....

I also admit I didn't do nor intend to do any research on the subject, but just my thoughts and observations:

1. Thailand is NOT the only country in the world that has its own language - I am not going to list all those countries

2. Thai people are NOT the only people who are not proficient in English - I had difficulties communicating in English in France and Germany, and I am not talking science talk - I am talking about asking driving direction in Germany or direction to the right train platform in France... In both places not in a small remote village, but in BIG cities, and not only elderly people, I was actually trying to ask young people who seemed to be students. BTW - the only person in the French train station who was able to answer my question was the toilets attendant!!! Even in the US of A - it's getting harder and harder to get around if you don't speak Spanish...

3. I am pretty sure that in MOST countries in the world, the foreign language teachers (be it English or any other) are locals, and not imported teachers.

4. I don't think that in the 10 or so years that foreign English have been widely employed all over the country, the level of English of the Thai students has improved to actually support the idea that foreign teachers are any better than the Thai teachers - now I can already imagine some of the TV members' responses to this like "the students are not listening to us" or "they are not interested" or "the school administrations / regulations / local teachers / janitors restrict our success"

Face it. This is Thailand. The official language is Thai. All documents are and will probably ALWAYS be in Thai. There are about 65 million Thais. Not all of them, not even most of them will ever NEED to interact in any other language. The ASEAN threat that Thais are going to lose their jobs if they can't master English? B******it. There have been import / export in Thailand for years. Who ever need to, find the way to communicate.

Interesting. A lot of what you say is true, but you omit a few details.

I disagree about Germans and French not speaking English. I found quite the opposite. French people don't want to speak English, but most of them can.

Most countries in the world do use their own teachers to teach English, but they are far more qualified than Thai teachers. Only today I asked students in a science class why they always said "stop ped" "ask ed" etc. (a little difficult to write here but they stressed the "ed"). I was told that that was what the Thai teachers taught them.

Also "How" (house) "i" (ice) and so on. Thai students have grammar banged into their heads from day one, instead of actual conversation skills.

Underline the prepositional phrase in the sentence. Underline all adjective clauses and so on.

I saw the exam at Ramkhamhaeng University and that and very complicated reading vocabulary was all it contained. The Thais concentrate on grammar and forget everything about speaking and listening.

The ASEAN threat is very real. A doctor treating a foreign patient will need a Philippine (or whatever) translator, therefore rendering the Thai assistant useless. There are many other examples.

"Whoever needs to, will fnd a way". Not true. Some will and do. I have met several who have taught themselves by reading and using YouTube etc. , but the problem is many Thais seem to be too shy to break out and do things by themselves. I find that many of them need pushing.

Ah , they are making room for Chinese language teachers. China is going to be a bigger part in Thailand's future , logical.

Like for the rest of the world...... wai2.gif

But the Chinese are learning English.

Hmm. coffee1.gif

The Chinese get it that most of the world's knowledge base is written in English be it textbooks, papers, the internet... Most world commerce is conducted in English. English is what can allow a Chinese, a Brit, an American, a Thai and a German to have a meeting. People around the world aren't learning Chinese to facilitate this - they are learning English.

You are right. The Chinese are truly learning English. The Thais I know who are the most fluent in English can read and write quite well but they can't have an easy conversation in English. That can be fixed only by an NES. My good schoolteacher friend in Isaan has learned to speak English from me via face to face and Skype, etc. She reads and writes well and really wants to learn. I'm not a trained teacher at all, either. She is getting quite good and she likes it.

Cheers.

The funny thing as well is they think they are going to save money by not hiring native English speakers. Well I guess that means most schools with a MEP program will have to shutdown their "cash cow" as parents will not pay the money schools demand for non-native speakers. A double shot in the foot!!

I agree. It's the parents demanding Native Speakers, not the schools.

Lunacy

The British Council is going to train teachers to be teacher trainers and you think that is lunacy? About time I say! Perhaps the sensational headline through you off, there is not actually any mention of any cuts, just a desire to be able to make those cuts in the future, cuts that would be very good for the schools if only they had a suitable replacement. The problem with Thai English education is the methodology being used by Thai teachers, many teachers are using old grammar translation techniques, proven ineffectual techniques and they are failing as we would expect them to. We need Thai teachers to learn how to teach English and no one knows that better than the British Council.

Problem with that is it can't be done in six weeks.

Send the 500 Thai teachers to USA or England for a full year of immersion and retraining. Then I'd agree with the idea.

I'm glad the source of this article was Coconuts, it has eased the Mind-Blown experience at least a little bit.............

D​ont want to rain on your parade its headlines in the Unmentionable other English language paper

Still its utter madness!

Both articles make it pretty clear it's a long-term plan and it is something that should be aimed for. Of course it is better to use well-trained local teachers than rely on foreign teachers forever. The headline that Coconuts uses is typical of the sensationalism of gutter rags.

Sorry, but not on the right lines at all. Native speakers of foreign languages have always been used all over the world - at grammar school in England in the late 1950s we were taught French by a most attractive young French lass - rather too attractive as it turned out as more attention was given to her legs than to French conjugation ! It doesn't matter which country teaching which foreign language - native speakers are always needed - why do you think Thai parents are so willing to pay more for a farang in the classroom ?

Where are they going to get all these Thai teachers who are proficient in speaking English, let alone teaching it?

The school I teach in has about 10 that would qualify.

People go on and on about no Thai English teachers speak English well.

There are many who do. Most of my co-teachers are fine with English conversation. Only a few lacking.

I'm glad the source of this article was Coconuts, it has eased the Mind-Blown experience at least a little bit.............

D​ont want to rain on your parade its headlines in the Unmentionable other English language paper

Still its utter madness!

Both articles make it pretty clear it's a long-term plan and it is something that should be aimed for. Of course it is better to use well-trained local teachers than rely on foreign teachers forever. The headline that Coconuts uses is typical of the sensationalism of gutter rags.

Sorry, but not on the right lines at all. Native speakers of foreign languages have always been used all over the world - at grammar school in England in the late 1950s we were taught French by a most attractive young French lass - rather too attractive as it turned out as more attention was given to her legs than to French conjugation ! It doesn't matter which country teaching which foreign language - native speakers are always needed - why do you think Thai parents are so willing to pay more for a farang in the classroom ?

Agreed. If I want to learn Mandarin in Vancouver, it's not a white guy teaching it. It may be a Canadian citizen of Chinese origin, but a native speaker for sure.