Burapha University, Chonburi a joyful location to live or boring?

flyDelight

Anyone here who knows the coastal area near Burapha University, around 4 kilometer below Chonburi and 40-50 kilometer from Pattaya and can tell me how it is? There are some wonderful seaside apartments for rent/sale for really amazing prices, but I wonder is this actually a very pleasant area for living or kind of boring for me as a real city person? I'm more used to Chiang Mai which I find very cosy, it's not the same here definitely. On Google Streetview the hinterland looks like a giant desolated swamp with buildings everywhere but lacking anything of a heart or a spirit or even a structure or any planning, kind of depressing while the seafront looks awesome. Could you live there?

rvBuPX8.png

Xx0zRRW.png

QMuW58m.png

Edited by flyDelight

That's Bangsaen sea front. I go there for a drive sometimes.

It gets very busy with Thais at the weekend/holidays, but apart from that it's dead. There are a few farangs living at the north end of the town where there are several condo buildings, some of which are quite nice.

It would drive me mad living there but if you like talking to Thais and dont care about having hardly any farang restaurants around then it could be fine.

Our son chose not to go to the university there but went to BKK i think it was because his girlfriend lives there and went to uni there , have been ourselves quite a few times , as Kitten Kong said , busy at weekends with Thais .during the week climbing the walls or watching paint dry is about as good as it gets smile.png .

This kind of answers don't add anything to a meaningful conversation. Did not even say that I want to move there.

Keep the forum clean please, thanks. I suggest before replying to a topic, click Alt+F4

You don't even know that it's called Bangsaen and you want to move there...

There are quite a few restaurants there, but most of my friends who live there, come to Pattaya for shopping and entertainment. They live there because of work. If not, they'd prefer to be closer to Pattaya.

The beach isn't really good either. A bit of a mud flat.

My very good friends live in a great enclave right on the beach. Very nice, but boring for them.

You are right there a lot of really nice and good value apartments around Bangsaen sea front (Burapha Uni is in Bangsaen and close to the seafront).

The coconut fringed beach (it gets cleaned daily now, so looking way better than it used to, which is solid progress) is about 5k's long with lots of good seafood restaurants and choc full of nice bars - it is very lively at night, especially at the weekend when floods of thai's come to visit - it can be overwhelming at this time, but during the week it is much quieter and really pleasant. They have a good walking street market every weekend at the northern end of the beach, and Sunday market at the southern end.

I go walking along the beach from every day - and it is very nice way to start my day - no hordes of sunburned Europeans, expat bars and girly bars - i see a lot of people compare it unfavourably to Pattaya - well if Pattaya is what you want then yes there is little comparison in terms of western style nightlife and entertainment, restaurants etc, but i for one can do without it - I like to think that i have well outgrown the need for overcrowded (not to mention dangerous andvery very seedy) tourist havens like Pattaya - yes I have, and i feel happy about that - my wife and i , with our two children, really enjoy life here, and I for one dont feel the need to be around people of my own kind day in and day out.

The Chonburi area is pretty prosperous and that is reflected in the booming construction you see all around the district - it can be very scruffy - it is not a beautiful area in any way - but it is more real Thailand than Pattaya, that's for sure, and i do think it will get better and better.

I love
Chiang Mai - that is really a terrific region of Thailand, but I have made my bed and will have to sleep in it where I am - but I would loved to have located in Chiang Mai area, but it was not to be, but i am happy here and dont care a jot about it being'dead' during the week - its just right as far as i am concerned.

If you need to have a lot of Westerners living near you, then this area is not for you.

If you can do without that, then you have reasonably priced apartments by the sea with all the amenities of one of Thailand's more affluent provinces.

I have lived in this area for the best part of 10 years and think it is one of the best places in Thailand to live. After I first met my wife I started coming to Bang Saen rather than Pattaya. I used to stay in the Yanadin apartments , not far from the university. On a day to day basis there is everything that you need within walking distance. There is a large shopping mall across the road from the university and almost next door a very good government hospital.

When it comes to entertainment it becomes a bit more personal and I am a bit old now to be hanging around bars cannot really comment much on them. There are some bars around the T junction on Beach road but never been to them There is a German bar/restaurant in the same area which is not bad for food. Down at the other end of the beach there is Nuan's Corner another reasonable bar/restaurant which is quite popular with foreigners. On the way out of Bang Saen towards Ang Sila there is a development, Scandinavian village, there was a steak house there called Buffalo Bills. Out on the main road towards Chonburi there is a large market, JJ's, there is a bar in the middle which also attracts a few foreigners.

There are several good restaurants around and one on the way to Monkey Mountain is right on the beach with live music in the evening. Most of the larger ones have the menus in English.

Chonburi is only 15 minutes away and has as much shopping as you want, and better than Pattaya. Sri Ratcha is about 20 minutes in the other direction. Immigration is there which is relatively small and convenient. Sri Ratcha is also good for shopping and some very good restaurants, there is a fairly large Japanese area. The ferry goes from there over to Koh Sichang.

Bang Saen puts on quite a few events during the year. One of the most notable is the street car racing which is at the end of this month. The only way to find out if the place is for you is to spend some time there. Good luck.