Actor Warren Mitchell dies aged 89

rooster59

Actor Warren Mitchell dies aged 89

Actor Warren Mitchell, who played Alf Garnett in TV series Till Death Us Do Part and In Sickness and in Health, has died aged 89.

A statement from his family said the star died in the early hours of Saturday "surrounded by his family".

"He has been in poor health for some time, but was cracking jokes to the last," the family added.

Mitchell's great nephew paid tribute to him on Twitter, saying he was "the last of his generation".

The full tweet read: "Just got the news my great uncle Warren Mitchell (aka Alf Garnett) died last night. The last of his generation, wonderful and funny man RIP."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34820371

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-11-15

I remember sitting around the black and white telly with my family as a child cracking up watching "till death do us part " cracking up. Imagine a show like that today...people would be up in arms but the world was a better place then.

RIP...Legend. And i've never forgotten that West Ham won the World Cup !

Though Warren Mitchell was a life long Spurs supporter. biggrin.png

A brilliant character was Alf Garnett and Warren was also a wonderful actor.

I saw him play the role of Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman at the National Theatre, he was superb.

One of the greats!

The irony of a left-wing, Jewish, Spurs supporter playing a Conservative-voting West Ham fan was not lost on Mitchell, although he became concerned that some of his audience failed to recognise the show as satire.

He recalled an exchange with a fellow Tottenham fan who had come up to congratulate him on "having a go" at immigrants. "Actually," Mitchell tersely replied, "we're having a go at idiots like you."

The irony of a left-wing, Jewish, Spurs supporter playing a Conservative-voting West Ham fan was not lost on Mitchell, although he became concerned that some of his audience failed to recognise the show as satire.

He recalled an exchange with a fellow Tottenham fan who had come up to congratulate him on "having a go" at immigrants. "Actually," Mitchell tersely replied, "we're having a go at idiots like you."

I was 10 when "Till Death.." was first broadcast. In my predominantly white, but changing, working class district there were many intelligent people who understood satire. But the adults saw what they wanted to see, the threat to jobs from immigration, and passed their views to their children. We were ok, because my father was a craftsman, but many unskilled or semi skilled mill workers were looking over their shoulders. Alf struck a chord, just not in the way planned by his creators.