Paris attacks provoke fresh migrant fears in Europe

rooster59

Paris attacks provoke fresh migrant fears in Europe
FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press

BERLIN (AP) — The news that one of the assailants in the Paris attacks may have crossed into Europe with refugees fleeing Syria is raising the fierce debate over Europe's immigration policy to a new pitch.

Chancellor Angela Merkel, already under pressure from political foes and allies, seemed Saturday to hold onto her stance of placing no limits on the number of people Germany is willing to give refuge to — a stance that is increasingly being called into question.

In a somber statement hours after the attacks, she urged her countrymen to uphold European values of humanity and compassion in the face of terror.

"We believe," she said, "in the right of every person to seek happiness and to enjoy it, in the respect for others and in tolerance."

But her optimism, reflected in Merkel's signature phrase that "we will manage it," is being met with growing skepticism in Germany and abroad, and not just by those on the far right who have long opposed immigration.

Even before Friday's attacks in Paris, Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble, a close Merkel ally, likened the more than 750,000 migrants who have come to Germany this year to an avalanche. His words reflect fears not just about how long the country of 80 million can keep up its open-door policy, but also about a possible violent backlash.

The country has already seen surge in attacks against migrants and refugee shelters. So far this year authorities have recorded 689 such incidents — more than three times the number for all of 2014.

The violence has been accompanied by a sharp shift in tone.

Just a few months ago, newspapers were full of reports about refugees being warmly received at German train stations, according to Joachim Trebbe, a communications researcher at Berlin's Free University. Now reports about migrants are automatically linked to the word "crisis" as authorities struggle to cope with tens of thousands of arrivals each month.

In the meanwhile, politicians, journalists and refugee activists in Germany have been deluged with hate mail. Merkel and members of her government have been branded "race traitors," and death threats — in the form of gallows bearing her name — were paraded during anti-immigrant demonstrations.

Nazi comparisons, once considered beyond the pale of political discussion in a country still grappling with its genocidal past, have become a common slur.

Far-right extremists are behind much of the organized incitement, and have carried out some of the most high-profile attacks, including the one on Cologne mayoral candidate Henriette Reker. She was stabbed in the neck while campaigning in mid-October by a man who said he wanted to take a stand against refugees. Reker, who won the election, had been in charge of housing migrants in the western city.

Thomas de Maiziere, the country's interior minister, told reporters Saturday following the attacks in Paris that German security agencies were keeping a close eye not only on Islamic extremists "but also the far-right extremists who might react to such an attack."

But Germany's top security official also has warned that two-thirds of suspects linked to attacks on refugees and asylum homes were previously unknown to the police.

Sensitive to the growing misgivings among many Germans about how their country can cope with the sheer number of immigrants, the government recently agreed on measures to quickly process those who stand little chance of getting asylum, vetting more people at the border, and distributing migrants across Europe.

Such efforts don't go far enough, even for some of Merkel's allies.

Markus Soeder, a member of Bavaria's regional government, called Saturday for still greater efforts to ensure that authorities know who is entering the country. In an interview with weekly Welt am Sonntag, Soeder insisted "the days of unchecked immigration and illegal entry can't continue. Paris changes everything."

His warning came as a Greek official said a Syrian passport was found at the scene of one of the Paris attacks and its owner crossed into the European Union through the Greek island of Leros in Oct. 3.

If true, it wouldn't be the first time that a terrorist has slipped into Europe posing as a migrant.

A Tunisian man sent back home after serving a seven-year prison term in Italy on terrorism charges returned to the country on a migrant boat. Mehdi Ben Nasr arrived in Lampedusa, Sicily, on Oct. 4 and was expelled again a week later. He had been convicted in Italy for being part of a network of Islamic extremists who recruited fighters to go to Iraq.

Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said it would be "counterintuitive" to think that terrorists wouldn't try to infiltrate Europe along migrant routes.

Incidents such as those will make it harder for Merkel to rally Germans — much less the rest of Europe — behind her stance on immigration.

On Saturday, Poland's incoming minister for European affairs said his country couldn't go ahead with EU decisions on immigration and accept refugees without guarantees of security.

"This is a key condition that today was put under a giant question mark in all of Europe," said Konrad Szymanski.

Marine Le Pen, leader of France's National Front party, called for authorities to expel immigrants who are in the country illegally.

Asylum seekers fleeing war and poverty in Syria and other war-ravaged countries condemned the Paris attacks, saying they feared it may become more difficult for the refugees to start new lives in Western Europe.

Zebar Akram, a 29-year-old Iraqi man, was among those streaming through Slovenia toward Austria on Saturday. He said those attacking Paris were behaving "like they act in Syria or Iraq."

Abdul Selam, 31, who was fleeing Syria, said he fears refugees now "will be considered as probable attackers."

Merkel's deputy warned Saturday against cracking down on migrants coming to Europe because of the Paris attacks.

Vice-Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel said those seeking refuge in Europe shouldn't be made to suffer just because "they come from those regions where terror is being exported to us and to the world."

"We stand to protect them too, and to ensure that they don't have to suffer because murderers in France are threatening people and Europe in the name of a religion," he said.

____

Eldar Emric in Sentilj, Slovenia, and Demetri Nellas in Athens contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-15

"A Tunisian man sent back home after serving a seven-year prison term in Italy on terrorism charges returned to the country on a migrant boat. Mehdi Ben Nasr arrived in Lampedusa, Sicily, on Oct. 4 and was expelled again a week later. He had been convicted in Italy for being part of a network of Islamic extremists who recruited fighters to go to Iraq."

Expelling the bad ones doesn't appear to work.

No sh_it Sherlock....

All European countries have shot them self in the foot by opening up the borders wide open to Syrian refugees.

It is a well known fact that IS have been "padding" the refugee stream with their soldiers for a long time. and Young soldiers too. as the terrorists killed in Paris was between the ages of 15 to 18......

I am fearing that IS already have soldiers all over Europe, meaning that what we seen in Paris is only the beginning

Unbelievable how naive the politicians have been.

Look at it this way,

How many churches do you see in a Muslim country?? None, because they have been burnt down if ever built....

How many mosque's do you see around in Europe?? Too many! and more is coming.....

there is a study saying that it would only be year 2056 when there is more Muslims in Europe than ethnic Europeans. then we will see if they start burning the churches there too.....

newspapers were full of reports about refugees being warmly received at German train stations

The overwhelming majority of which were young men looking less like 'refugees' than smartphone carrying well dressed/fed chancers. There was of course the odd pic of some crying cute kid posted over and over again in mainstream media. My question is, why? What's really behind all this? These European leaders have a LOT to answer for.

No sh_it Sherlock....

All European countries have shot them self in the foot by opening up the borders wide open to Syrian refugees.

It is a well known fact that IS have been "padding" the refugee stream with their soldiers for a long time. and Young soldiers too. as the terrorists killed in Paris was between the ages of 15 to 18......

I am fearing that IS already have soldiers all over Europe, meaning that what we seen in Paris is only the beginning

Look at it this way,

How many churches do you see in a Muslim country?? None, because they have been burnt down if ever built....

How many mosque's do you see around in Europe?? Too many! and more is coming.....

there is a study saying that it would only be year 2056 when there is more Muslims in Europe than ethnic Europeans. then we will see if they start burning the churches there too.....

I would love to see the methodology of that study. In the Netherlands, there are 16 million citizens, of which approximately 800K are Muslims. It would not be mathematically possible for them to reach another 15 million, considering that number is a result from migration starting from the 70s.

In other words, absolute bullocks.

No sh_it Sherlock....

Look at it this way,

Saudi has the remains on one

I would love to see the methodology of that study. In the Netherlands, there are 16 million citizens, of which approximately 800K are Muslims. It would not be mathematically possible for them to reach another 15 million, considering that number is a result from migration starting from the 70s.

i was referring to Europe as a whole not singular countries. (Please read OP before start Bi*tch*ing)

Muslims will exceed Christians worldwide by 2070

The report, by Pew Research Center, also predicts that Muslims will become the second-largest religious group in the US – by 2050.

i was referring to Europe as a whole not singular countries. (Please read OP before start Bi*tch*ing)

The report, by Pew Research Center, also predicts that Muslims will become the second-largest religious group in the US – by 2050.

Since this is an EU matter which is not the whole of Europe, all you are trying to do is causing fear about Muslims taking over Europe. They aren't, the composition of the Netherlands isn't vastly different from other EU member states.

The whole of Europe isn't relevant and would include countries that traditionally have always been Muslim.

Edit:

I just had a look at Wikipedia who list the percentage of Muslims in Europe to 6% against 76% Christianity. Report is still <deleted>. Not mathematically possible.

Edited by sjaak327

I had to take history classes in High School. Those classes indicated that Europe is making a lot of mistakes.

I guess the leaders in Europe didn't have to take the same classes or pay much attention. The Human Race as a

generalization doesn't learn much from history. We keep making the same mistakes over and over. You

can't be nice to crazy people with guns. If someone is crazy and going to kill you, what you learned in

Church has to be placed on the back burner.

Our governments are insane, they are helping them in their ultimate goal which is world domination, any Muslim that says otherwise is practicing their right to 'Taqiya' An extreme Muslim wants your head, a moderate Muslim wants an extreme Muslim to take your head, its as simple as that. Glad I've only got about 20 years left and have no kids to bring into this awful place.

newspapers were full of reports about refugees being warmly received at German train stations

The overwhelming majority of which were young men looking less like 'refugees' than smartphone carrying well dressed/fed chancers. There was of course the odd pic of some crying cute kid posted over and over again in mainstream media. My question is, why? What's really behind all this? These European leaders have a LOT to answer for.

Because (western) European political leaders are all cut from the same PC cloth; they regard themselves as nobler and wiser than the rest of us because they don't discriminate against anything or anybody, even terrorists. They are tolerant of everyone (except those who happen to disagree with them.)

They regard rational thought as a hate crime, because it leads to judgement and discrimination, the ultimate crimes in the PC worldview. Anybody who engages in rational thought is regarded as a throwback, a primitive person, a bigot, prone to such faults as racism, Islamophobia, and all the other -isms you will be familiar with.

The leaders' idea of fighting Islamic terrorism is that we should stop "provoking" Muslims with anything controversial (nationalist rallies, cartoons, Christmas trees etc etc).

It's idiotic, and their cowardice could cost Europe its civilization, but that's what happens when you outlaw rational thought and replace it with wanton indiscrimination.

No sh_it Sherlock....

Look at it this way,

Not BS at all when you consider the snowball effect. It's the nails in the horseshoe. Double the first nail =2; double that =4 etc. Starts slow but before long you have an avalanche.

The whole point though is that the people weren't asked whether or not they wanted this, it was mainly a left-wing political ploy. "Whoever lets me in gets my vote".

The whole EC thing is a left-wing edifice, hence the Schengen agreement. "Think of all those lovely voters if we remove the border controls". The left also seems to have a tendency to hate it's own country ie Jeremy Corbyn. They also seem to love anything/anyone who's not of their country, so 'Bring on the immigrants, the more the merrier.

However, I digress. No, what's happening in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe isn't surprising, it's all going to plan for the caliphate.

Edited by jesimps

R

No sh_it Sherlock....

Look at it this way,

Not BS at all when you consider the snowball effect. It's the nails in the horseshoe. Double the first nail =2; double that =4 etc. Starts slow but before long you have an avalanche.

The whole point though is that the people weren't asked whether or not they wanted this, it was mainly a left-wing political ploy. "Whoever lets me in gets my vote".

The whole EC thing is a left-wing edifice, hence the Schengen agreement. "Think of all those lovely voters if we remove the border controls". The left also seems to have a tendency to hate it's own country ie Jeremy Corbyn. They also seem to love anything/anyone who's not of their country, so 'Bring on the immigrants, the more the merrier.

However, I digress. No, what's happening in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe isn't surprising, it's all going to plan for the caliphate.

Right. I thought I made it clear that mass Migration (according to all the right wing politicians) have been going on since the earlier 70s. So now use some logic and common sense maybe ? In 45 years of mass migration Muslims account for 6%. Now mathematic would have it that to reach say 51% in just another 40 years to be impossible and it is.

By the way, that mass Migration wasn't a left wing policy at all. Certainly when you consider whom exactly benefited from it. But try rewriting history, smart people see right though the lies and bullshit.

Pray tell how people who aren't in the country yet would be able to vote in the first place ? In fact without the Dutch nationality they aren't voting even if they are in the country !

Edited by sjaak327

""We believe," she said, "in the right of every person to seek happiness and to enjoy it, in the respect for others and in tolerance."

and the need of the German economy for young low income workers

"Greek official said a Syrian passport was found at the scene of one of the Paris attacks and its owner crossed into the European Union through the Greek island of Leros in Oct. 3."

Big surprise there.

""We believe," she said, "in the right of every person to seek happiness and to enjoy it, in the respect for others and in tolerance."

and the need of the German economy for young low income workers

"Greek official said a Syrian passport was found at the scene of one of the Paris attacks and its owner crossed into the European Union through the Greek island of Leros in Oct. 3."

Big surprise there.

Nobody could see this coming

except half the posters in this forum

No sh_it Sherlock....

Look at it this way,

No churches in Muslim countries you are wrong

We spoke to experts on religion and government in Muslim countries. The consensus: There are churches and/or synagogues in almost every Muslim country.

Our governments are insane, they are helping them in their ultimate goal which is world domination, any Muslim that says otherwise is practicing their right to 'Taqiya' An extreme

Muslim wants your head, a moderate Muslim

wants an extreme Muslim to take your head, its as

simple as that. Glad I've only got about 20 years

left and have no kids to bring into this awful place

Totally agree.

I am happy that we, my wife and self, decided that we we would not bring children into this world.

Myself because many years ago I had a feeling about the way things would go.

Her reasons different, wanted to concentrate on career and finance.

My friends, few, and that's not a problem, semi jockingly call me an extremist, I can't argue with that. Been told that my uncle was probably called Adolf. Don't know if that's accurate or not, don't care really.

Anyway, politicians in Europe should stop thinking that letting so called refugees in means that the so called refugees will actually vote for them in the future is total and complete stupitidy on their part.

A message to all the idiot politicians in Europe from me.

They will not vote for you, they will replace you and your children will be forced to live under the so called refugees laws.

I won't be around to see it, nor will my wife and for that I am thankfull.

In this issue Merkel is stupid.
In her ivory tower she does not recognize, that evil forces will take advantage of this disorder.
How it can be, that people, migrants or refugees, can pass the borders without examination?
Maybe she will help 300,000 genuine refugees for the price that 300 suicid bombers slip through unchecked.
Is it worth it?
Personally, she has no reason to fear.
With her bodyguards, protect home, etc.
In this case she has completely lost the way.
Why she do not listen to their fellow party members and neighbors country leaders?
The next election she will not win.
Sure.

Since this is an EU matter which is not the whole of Europe, all you are trying to do is causing fear about Muslims taking over Europe. They aren't, the composition of the Netherlands isn't vastly different from other EU member states.

The whole of Europe isn't relevant and would include countries that traditionally have always been Muslim.

Edit:

I just had a look at Wikipedia who list the percentage of Muslims in Europe to 6% against 76% Christianity. Report is still <deleted>. Not mathematically possible.

Which countries in Europe have "traditionally have always been Muslim" ?