Win XP is back

h90

Had an old Laptop 2 GB Ram, weak CPU....

Almost unusable with win 7....HD broke.

Installed Xubuntu: fast enough but just too many bugs...HD broke

Installed Lubuntu first on SSD.....didn't work....old Laptop and this SSD didn't work together reliable.

Installed Lubuntu on a new HD....fast....but way too many bugs.

Now I tried WinXP again......old CDs didn't work anymore.....newest driver from 2009.....Installed firefox, chrome, google earth, libre office, pdf creator, vlc, sumatra pdf.

And the Laptop works great again!

Security risk....no I don't think so we still have here 4 computer behind the firewall of the router on WinXP and never a single problem so it won't have a problem on the laptop if I don't go to women without clothes webpages or click the sexywoman.exe I get per email.

I think the hype of getting the newest thing is crazy....for my light office work from Win95 (beside that it might crash sometimes) to Win 10 is no improvement. I click Excel, key in my things, save it, print it, email it......

Your nightmare is over ! Welcome back to win XP , where everything works , where everything feels right.

Now what do you mean with :"Xubuntu: fast enough but just too many bugs" ?

Why did your HDD break down ?

Go to "women without clothes" , no worries.

Edited by BuaBS

Don't download any Chinese software. Infection is almost certain.

But the OP might be fluent in reading Chinese after a short period of time. Baidu will welcome you.

Saw a statistic that Thais prefer the Baidu browser, because it gets them a hard one, an easy way to access certain websites.

+ 1 Stay away from all Chinese software. But not all from China is bad, please see image.She's single, lonely and looking for an expat who lives in Thailand.

She's always open for aeeh a candle light dinner, perhaps? Page me for her contact details. Her name is Chinnie

post-158336-0-80198100-1447601869_thumb.

Your nightmare is over ! Welcome back to win XP , where everything works , where everything feels right.

Now what do you mean with :"Xubuntu: fast enough but just too many bugs" ?

Why did your HDD break down ?

Go to "women without clothes" , no worries.

HDD brake downs: read errors, smart test fault, Western Digital HD test fault "can't read test elements".

Walk into friendly WD service center and get a new HD within 5 min...so all good.

X (and L)ubuntu: minor things like you can't get rid of get asked for the password after wake up. Wifi fails often after wake up. Lubuntu can't handle the many Wifi networks on the airport.

Messages from system had some serious problems and you should restart (never did it, and everything continued to work fine). Software update shoots some software, so it must be disabled.

So either it doesn't work well with this specific laptop or it is in general in an early beta stage. Which is sad because if it works it works very fast.

No these "women without clothes" pages are the pages with the highest risk of some virus infection (like in real life) better avoiding them.....And no software from dubious sources.

Do what you want.Windows XP is dead to me.I wouldn't touch it with A 10 foot pole.Next people will be talking about Windows 98.

How old 16 years old.Better you than me.

and what is the reason if it works fine?

Ok so what if my woman does expose herself on the net wide screens are cheap.

What I found is the women that take their clothes off on XP are older. The women that take their clothes off on Windows 7, 8 and 10 are much younger and more desirable.

Women that I downloaded in 2006 are still young on my XP machine . Now if you look at then on your win 8 or 10 machine , they look 8 years older and some don't age well..

I use XP with Nod32 for security , works good on my older laptop,

There are also versions of newer win7 avalible for African market

are these official Microsoft versions , any links ?

There are pirated versions of NOD 32 ,usually used by Thai teachers, that are viruses.

Ok so what if my woman does expose herself on the net wide screens are cheap.

What I found is the women that take their clothes off on XP are older. The women that take their clothes off on Windows 7, 8 and 10 are much younger and more desirable.

Women that I downloaded in 2006 are still young on my XP machine . Now if you look at then on your win 8 or 10 machine , they look 8 years older and some don't age well..

That is the higher screen resolution....the 640x480 is very kind biggrin.png

We have no security software in the office.

Stupid webbrowsing on funny webpage is forbidden.....but they look some motorbike parts and similar....that is tolerated.....no clothes women pages result in blocking this computer from internet for 3 month....but never happened.

USB sticks are banned

Firewall on the router lets only these ports that are necessary.

No CD-Rom drives in the computer.

Browser Firefox and chrome

Email Thunderbird

4 computer WinXP

Rest Win 7

Server has spam filter

No problems and we run it that way since 2003

Stupid webbrowsing on funny webpage is forbidden.....but they look some motorbike parts and similar....that is tolerated.....no clothes women pages result in blocking this computer from internet for 3 month....but never happened.

USB sticks are banned

Email Thunderbird

4 computer WinXP

Rest Win 7

Server has spam filter

The majority of web-based infections I see are from sites that themselves are perfectly legit - but have been hacked to inject malware links.

So banning "stupid web-browsing on on funny webpages" isn't going to protect you at all.

You're probably already spewing out spam and stuff and you don't even know it.

biggrin.png

USB sticks are banned

Email Thunderbird

4 computer WinXP

Rest Win 7

Server has spam filter

The majority of web-based infections I see are from sites that themselves are perfectly legit - but have been hacked to inject malware links.

So banning "stupid web-browsing on on funny webpages" isn't going to protect you at all.

You're probably already spewing out spam and stuff and you don't even know it.

biggrin.png

No I don't because I frequently check them.....if there is nothing I have no network traffic at all....

So I guess Firefox is relative safe and actually don't see people in the office surfing much. I have only 7 ports open if that helps.

'Chinnie' is a Trojan virus, once in the place , your bank account balance will quickly get close to 0.

I see many bait profiles like that on Badoo .

But you'll also experience one of the deepest satisfactions a man can dream of. "Chinnie" does all and everything for you. wub.png

I find this thread very refreshing thumbsup.gif

Good to read that there are people out there who are not infected by hysteria and know that the biggest problem at a PC is between desk and chair.

I am in the sixth year of using Windows 7.

I have been using internet banking much longer with multiple banks up to now with three Thai banks and two German banks.

Never had an on access scanner installed, never lost a byte to a virus, never lost a cent to a virus.

The only protection mechanisms: using the brain and not logging on with administrative rights for daily use.

The latter one seems like a well kept secret to many in Windows (responsible: MS).

I have installed four PC/laptops for (grand)children in same fashion (Win 7, "standard user").

OK, to add some brain I have added a free on-access virus scanner whistling.gif

Never noticed a virus problem at their devices.

Good to read that there are people out there who are not infected by hysteria and know that the biggest problem at a PC is between desk and chair.

I have been using internet banking much longer with multiple banks up to now with three Thai banks and two German banks.

Never had an on access scanner installed, never lost a byte to a virus, never lost a cent to a virus.

The only protection mechanisms: using the brain and not logging on with administrative rights for daily use.

The latter one seems like a well kept secret to many in Windows (responsible: MS).

I have installed four PC/laptops for (grand)children in same fashion (Win 7, "standard user").

How would you? Most antivirus is next to useless these days.

As useless as your comments on EVERY post about win XP.

Which consistently say that if you use Windows XP you are essentially running an OS with built-in, already-exploited security holes.

If that's useless to you, then carry on being an idiot.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Chicog

Which consistently say that if you use Windows XP you are essentially running an OS with built-in, already-exploited security holes.

If that's useless to you, then carry on being an idiot.

thumbsup.gif

what kind of security holes when the computers run since 2003 here with no problems at all (OK we had 2-3 problems, all caused by usb sticks from staff). As well a lot ATMs still run on WinXP.

what kind of security holes when the computers run since 2003 here with no problems at all (OK we had 2-3 problems, all caused by usb sticks from staff). As well a lot ATMs still run on WinXP.

Firstly I'd put something like Panda USB Vaccine on all of your PCs. I'd recommend that to anyone, if only to inoculate your own USB drives if you use them on other computers.

Secondly, ATMs tend to run a more hardened version of the OS, and banks can and do pay Microsoft a tidy sum to continue to patch XP even though it is End of Life.

Thirdly, you can generally assume that every general Windows security flaw that Microsoft have fixed since that time exists in XP, but Microsoft don't bother publishing them for XP any more. Hence "End of Life".

And when you say "no problems at all", it kind of spoils it when you say "OK we had 2-3 problems".

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

Firstly I'd put something like Panda USB Vaccine on all of your PCs. I'd recommend that to anyone, if only to inoculate your own USB drives if you use them on other computers.

Secondly, ATMs tend to run a more hardened version of the OS, and banks can and do pay Microsoft a tidy sum to continue to patch XP even though it is End of Life.

Thirdly, you can generally assume that every general Windows security flaw that Microsoft have fixed since that time exists in XP, but Microsoft don't bother publishing them for XP any more. Hence "End of Life".

And when you say "no problems at all", it kind of spoils it when you say "OK we had 2-3 problems".

biggrin.png

this 2-3 problems were because of USB sticks which are strictly prohibited.....we beheaded the wrongdoer so it won't happen again.

Normally I disconnect the front USB connectors and in the past I disabled USB drives, but that I don't do anymore.

There are only 2 USB HD in the company which I use as secondary and tertiary (spelling??) backup method, if everything else failed.

More exact would be: No problems at all if you don't do stupid things.....

These patches for the banks, you can also get somehow, but I never bothered