would this router be ok to replace

n210mp

The 3BB standard issue modem/router in the Pattaya area

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router รุ่น Archer D5 (สีดำ)

Linked as the cheapest I could find apart from one at a big store on clearance the

TP link AC750 Dual band at 2500Baht

http://www.lazada.co.th/tp-link-archer-d5-ac1200-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-adsl2-modem-router-black-954514.html

Your help would be most appre4ciated

Thank you

Edited by n210mp

That will work...any modem/router will work. Just make sure it's a combination modem-router and not just a router. i never used the piece of crap M-R that 3BB gave me but replaced it with a TP-Link model when they set-up my system. The model you linked to is a premium model...fine if you need it but cheaper TP Link M-Rs, as well as other brands, are available at the computer store opposite Foodland. I think they start around 1500 baht or so.

That will work...any modem/router will work. Just make sure it's a combination modem-router and not just a router. i never used the piece of crap M-R that 3BB gave me but replaced it with a TP-Link model when they set-up my system. The model you linked to is a premium model...fine if you need it but cheaper TP Link M-Rs, as well as other brands, are available at the computer store opposite Foodland. I think they start around 1500 baht or so.

Thanks OMG for the prompt reply

You have me thinking now becasue I just assumed that it was a modem and a router

My problem is that the old 3BB thinghy has seen better days and is not working up to a reasonable standard unless you stand next to it (according to the 3BB chap who came to test my internet and convicted the old router

My place of isolation from all the Thai soaps netc is well away from the router and with the better power output of the premium ones I thought that I may be better buying the Ac 1200 or the AC750 Maybe you could advise

Many thanks in any event for you imput

Any router is ok, 1000 thb is the corredt price.

Forgive my being a "Tyro" but could you explains what you mean?

Are you saying that the modem router that came with the 3BB deal is going to be as powerful as the one that I have posted in my OP link?

Or are you saying that the one in the link can be bought for 1000Baht and if so, where can I buy one

Thanks fpor your post

Are you only using it for a connected PC? A close wireless device? Do you need more ports? A broader range? If any of the last 2, I'd recommend getting a good router. Makes a huge difference.

Thanks for your reply Craig, I thought this thread had died a death 555

I have two PCs plus 2 Iphones on my WiFi network, a MiniX android box for the telly which is hard wired to the 3BB box.

The reason for the OP is that recently my 10M from 3BB had been on the blink regularly only giving 3 M/bts

3BB sent their technician to have a look and he said that my router the standard issue one from 3BB was not working efficiently, he advised getting another one a bit more up to date and powerful

Hence the question about the TP AC in the link?

Your advice would be appreciated

Thanks

There seems to be better WiFi coverage by units using the "N" system and some will have higher gain antennas, But the increase may not be all you want. There is also the option to use new or current unit at a closer location to your man-cave linked with lan cable to your incoming router/modem.

So I would buy a new unit in the 1-1.5k price range to replace current unit and if not powerful enough run a lan cable to a location close to your usage location and attach of old unit and just use the additional WiFi there. This allow you to have a spare modem.router in event of failure.

Your poor connection speeds may be due to a modem being old (usually heat/age related), or due to poor copper line conditions of the wire running back to the ISP DSLAM equipment, or BOTH.

Changing out the modem/router might help. Just be aware there may be other issues that won't be resolved with the replacement.

Have you got the latest firmware running on the existing box (assuming you can update it that is)?

Even AC 1200 should max out a 10Mb Internet connection quite easily.

Have you measured your true download speed, maybe download something with IDM?

Have you got the latest firmware running on the existing box (assuming you can update it that is)?

Even AC 1200 should max out a 10Mb Internet connection quite easily.

Have you measured your true download speed, maybe download something with IDM?

Success!

Last night I bought the cheaper TP links unit from TESCO oon Suk at the price o0f 1430 Baht that promises 300M/bts and after obtaining my user name and password from 3BB managedeafter a lenghty learning process to get it workig

I still at 9 30 pm last night didnt get anything like the 10 megs with the new unit, making me think that like many peoploe have said on here 3BB may well be just over subscibed and the low rates are simply becasaue of that

I am serious dischuffed with 3BB and would ask members who are on the dark side their opinions on the other suppliers

Thanks for those who helped with the OP

Edited by CharlieH
edited for post to remain visible.

OP, what is your account subscription speed?

When Chicog stated "Even AC 1200 should max out a 10Mb Internet connection quite easily" I'm pretty sure he meant the Router/WiFi should be able to keep up with whatever your top ADSL2+ subscription provides you.

All Thai ISP specified subscription Connection Speeds are only from your residence to the ISP Network Hub (or Network Operations Center). Beyond that, the ISP has little or no control (or interest). Especially if your trying to connect to servers/services outside of Thailand.

Your Router should have a menu page that displays the current connection status, and those status values should be close to your current subscriptions speed. If not, then your connection may have line condition issues and you need to take that up with your ISP.